4" Skyjacker or 4" Superlift for TJ - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > 4" Skyjacker or 4" Superlift for TJ

Smittybilt Hard Tops @ Oconee Off-Road! 706-534-9955XHD Heavy-Duty Hood Latches for JK and TJ available at OcoFS: Jeep Fog Light LED Bulbs! Several Brightness Options!

Unread 11-08-2003, 12:45 PM   #1
voodoo

4" Skyjacker or 4" Superlift for TJ

I'm in the process of ordering a 4" skyjacker lift for my 2003 TJ when I find out that I can save myself $300.00 by going with a 4" superlift. Can anyone give me some insite on which one to choose. Is skyjacker worth the extra $300.00? I Don't expect that I'll be doing anything more then trail riding and getting a little muddy. No rock climbing for me! We don't have rocks in Louisiana. LOL!!! Does anyone dislike Superlift?

This is the Superlift kit that I'm looking at buying:

http://www.trailquest.com/superlift/tj.shtml[/url]

voodoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-08-2003, 01:35 PM   #2
dan58

Dunno. No one around here likely Skyjacker...unless you want sagging. Everyone that I wheel with runs RE with zero problems.
33x12.5-15 TSLs
4.56s, Lockright & Detoit
dan58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-08-2003, 01:50 PM   #3
blksahara

I too am condsidering going w/ the 4" Superlift setup. I do very little offf-roading (mostly poser, I know...but I love me Jeep ). Aong w/ some 33x12.50's. I have not heard many bad things about the Superlift. Actually, for the $$$ I have heard quite good things about it. I've seen a few TJ's w/ the 4" Superlift. Plenty of clearance for the 33's.
blksahara is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-08-2003, 02:04 PM   #4
thenewkid

only thing tho with that lift, if it gives the full 4", wont u have to get an sye?

Redneck jeeper #5
thenewkid is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-08-2003, 02:08 PM   #5
blksahara

thenewkid, no. In most cases where the manuf. supplies a x-fer case drop kit they are fine. Those that need an SYE will let you know . None of the guys here w/ the Superlift have any issues w/ the x-fer case drop kit. The thing you sacrifice w/ the drop kit is some ground clearance.
blksahara is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-08-2003, 02:43 PM   #6
redrock4x4

Neither of the kits compare to the quality and performance of the Rubicon Express suspensions, I'd recommend you reconsider your options.

Regarding the SYE, I recommend everyone start to consider a SYE on any kit that gives over 4" of actual lift, although some Jeep's require them with even less lift. If it's within your budget either way I'd go ahead and do the SYE up front.

If you have any questions on RE suspensions or would like a price quote (I offer discounts to forum members) email me at jshields@redrock4x4.com and I'll be glad to help. I'm certain you won't be disappointed if you go with RE. RE does offer a 3.5" standard kit that would work out to being VERY competitive in terms of pricing with the link you posted to the Superlift kit, although with either of those kits I would strongly recommend adding an adjustable front track bar to allow you to properly center the front axle under the vehicle.

Last edited by redrock4x4; 11-08-2003 at 02:46 PM..
redrock4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-08-2003, 02:46 PM   #7
voodoo

Thanks for the replys guys! I talked to 2 local 4x4 shops and they both recomend the 4" superlift over Skyjacker. I'm going to be running 33/12.50 on 15x10 mt classic II and they tell me that the 4" superlift will give me the biggest bang for my buck. I will be usig the jeep as and everyday driver and I want a lift kit that will hold up!
Unread 11-08-2003, 06:48 PM   #8
rkutzner

Don't rule out RE because you are going to use it as a dialy driver. I've never heard anyone say RE wasn't as superb on road as off...have heard an occasional bad thing about the other two, and occasionaly Tera...

Everything SELF INSTALLED.

The Serious Stuff:4.5 RE LA, 35" MT/Rs, 4.88s, Super44 w/Detroit, D30 w/Ptrax, SYE, Tera 4:1, 2LOW & Rear Disks, AntiRock, Lotsa Skids (some homemade!), Nth Shock Shifters, Patriot 9500...and LOTS more !
rkutzner is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-08-2003, 07:12 PM   #9
voodoo

I think I will give RE a chance. Seems like it's a popular lift! Does anyone have the standard 3.5" RE lift? If so can you post some pics. What would be the cheapest site to buy a RE?
Unread 11-09-2003, 08:50 PM   #10
RickCJ7

The reason the Skyjacker is more$$$ you get the lower control arms. You will need these to get the front alignment correct, you do want to drive it on the highway? You can get the Superlift lca also but the price becomes very close, I recomend the adjustable ones. Every TJ I've lifted over 3" has had minor vibes and the only way to get rid of them was a rear cv shaft.
I've found a 1"body lift, 1" motor mount lift, and 1.75 budqet boost work very good for 33's. No vibes and cheaper than a 4" lift 300 vs 800. And with your 2003 less likly to have warranty problems with lifted Jeep.
Unread 11-10-2003, 12:39 PM   #11
tcross34

Let me give u the answer to all of the questions posted. Dont go with the 4" Superlift. If you do, you will need to immediately get new shocks. The Superlift shocks are horrible. Way to stiff. I cant stress enough, too STIFF!

If you do go with this lift and after you purchase new shocks you will need to purchase lca's. Buy the Skyjacker lca's, there alot cheaper than Superlift's and do the same thing. This is what I did.

The only positive thing was that I used the transer case drop and did not have any vibes from day one.

If I had to do it over, i'd probably go with RE
01 Solar Yellow Sport, 4 speed auto, 4.0, hard, soft & bikini tops, Warn 8000lb winch w/ brush guard, Bushwacker fender flares, Dana 44, K & N filter, Safari Snorkel, Borla exhaust, Throttle body spacer, 4" Superlift, 2" Body lift, 35" x 12.50" Goodyear MT's on AR Rims, Alarm w/ remote start, etc, etc, etc.
tcross34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-11-2003, 09:19 PM   #12
sfr246
1997 ZJ 

i have the superlift 4" and 33" tires... the only thing i would suggest about the superlift is that an adjustable track bar would nice, if i am correct the new kit comes with lower links also which is nice, but i havent had any problems with my lift, and i dont need a SYE, i have no problems. i think skyjacker is too expensive, i would say go with superlift or maybe a RE i know those are good too.
Unread 11-11-2003, 09:23 PM   #13
rustinh1
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Go with the RE. I or my friends have run Skyjacker, BDS, and Superlift. Now, I have the RE 3.5 SF, and I would recommend it over any of the others.
just my $.02
-Rusty
rustinh1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.