4" rough country w/ 2" spacers????? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > 4" rough country w/ 2" spacers?????

ANOTHER Rockridge4wd Creation!! Spare Tire Carrier Delete The Original 3/8" Ruffstuff Diff Cover!Even Better Heim Pricing! From Ruffstuff

Unread 11-05-2006, 08:03 PM   #1
tjwhlr00
2000 TJ Wrangler 

4" rough country w/ 2" spacers?????

I've got a buddy looking to sell a 4" rough country lift and would like an easy way to run 35's without spending money on a bodylift. I currently have a 2" BB and wondered what you guys thought of running the 2" spacers on top of the rough country lift.

tjwhlr00 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-05-2006, 08:13 PM   #2
TexanTJ
Uncensored & Honest

2014 JK Wrangler 

4" is about the limit for a properly functioning/ decent riding, short arm suspension. After this point the control arms are nearly vertical, and instead of absorbing bumps and flexing, the control arm will just push up on the frame, resulting in a horrible ride.

My recommendation is to sell your budget boost and invest that money in some quality shocks (which you will need bc rough country shocks ride very stiff) Then add a one inch body lift to that 4" RC lift and you will be ready to clear 35's.
TexanTJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-05-2006, 08:14 PM   #3
amiller
2005 TJ Wrangler 

6" of lift on a short arm? Not for me. I'd bet you could sell your BB for enough to buy a BL. IMHO

damn....you beat me to it
Unread 11-05-2006, 08:14 PM   #4
jeepteejay
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Control arms angles would get too steep with the RC short arm lift.
You could probably get by with 3/4" ontop if you need it.
I have SA's and like them. I might do it down the down the road if I need the extra clearance.
jeepteejay is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-05-2006, 08:16 PM   #5
nicolas-eric
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexanTJ
My recommendation is to sell your budget boost and invest that money in some quality shocks (which you will need bc rough country shocks ride very stiff) Then add a one inch body lift to that 4" RC lift and you will be ready to clear 35's.
a friend has a 5.5" LA lift and a 2" BL and the 35s still rub.
if you want good flex and offroad capabilities you΄ll need more than 5" (4" coil lift + 1" BL) for 35s.
12.000 lbs Winch • Synthetic Winch Line • 4x 130W Hellas • 4x 200W Hellas @ Lightbar • E-Fan
Jeep TJ Runicon Pics www.timbercrawler.de
nicolas-eric is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-05-2006, 08:21 PM   #6
McLovin
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicolas-eric
if you want good flex and offroad capabilities you΄ll need more than 5" (4" coil lift + 1" BL) for 35s.
Your friend needs to adjust his bump stops then. With that amount of lift he should be clearing 37's.
McLovin is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-05-2006, 08:26 PM   #7
TexanTJ
Uncensored & Honest

2014 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
My approach is to usually keep a low COG and still have room to flex. If he installs 35's with about 5" of lift and sets his bumpstops accordingly, this (in my oppinion and taste) will give him a good balance of height/ground clearance/ flex without being too outrageous or unusable.
Unread 11-05-2006, 08:28 PM   #8
nicolas-eric
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shawn_c
Your friend needs to adjust his bump stops then. With that amount of lift he should be clearing 37's.
first he installs an expensive 5.5"longarm lift for better offroad capabilities and then he extendes the bumpstops what decreases these capabilities? does that make sense?
i don΄t think so.
but he will install some other fenders, after that he will have enough place for the tires.
12.000 lbs Winch • Synthetic Winch Line • 4x 130W Hellas • 4x 200W Hellas @ Lightbar • E-Fan
Jeep TJ Runicon Pics www.timbercrawler.de
nicolas-eric is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-05-2006, 08:45 PM   #9
TexanTJ
Uncensored & Honest

2014 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
first he installs an expensive 5.5"longarm lift for better offroad capabilities and then he extendes the bumpstops what decreases these capabilities? does that make sense?
i don΄t think so.
but he will install some other fenders, after that he will have enough place for the tires.
With any lift installed on a wrangler (whether they are cheap or expensive) the bumpstops should be replaced or adjusted accordingly. The purpose of a bumpstop is to limit the UPTRAVEL of the suspension to where it will not hit the fender. By doing this, you are not decreasing cababilities, you are simply saving your fenders and tires front contacting.

If your friend with an expensive 5.5 longarm lift and 2" body lift is still rubbing with 35's, you should probably adivse him to properly setup his bumpstops. Every piece is crucial to making the entire suspension system work properly.
Unread 11-06-2006, 10:19 AM   #10
Tumble
2003 TJ Wrangler 

I'm running a 4" RC and 3/4" Tereflex spacers with 315/75R16's with no rubbing. I would not go any more that a 3/4" spacer. If you do you're really pushing the limits of your short arm suspension.
Tumble is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-06-2006, 10:31 AM   #11
00jeepsahara
2000 TJ Wrangler 

you should be able to tuck 35s under the 4in alone, just adjust your bumpstops and youll be fine
17" Allied Beadlocks
D60/14BFF
00jeepsahara is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-06-2006, 11:33 AM   #12
Gabe
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Before getting into the 4 inch lift, are you prepared to do an SYE and CV driveshaft install?? Does his 4 inch come with the track bars? I'm new to rough country lifts and don't know if they do or not.
Gabe is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-06-2006, 11:38 AM   #13
Gabe
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Wait, you have a 35 and want to run 35s? That wouldn't be such a good combo offroad. I have 32s on a 35 and I'm scared to do anything to harm it. There's more to it than just going from a 2"BB and 32s, to a 4" and 35s. What are your gears?? Its more likely that you have 3.07s or 3.73s, also not a good combo with 35s. Sorry for my negative comments, but you have to think about what you're getting into and be prepared to spend a whole lot more. There are more underlying issues and upgrades that are necessary to run a 4" lift with 35s. Don't forget about the stronger brakes too. How will you stop those 35s??
Gabe is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-06-2006, 12:04 PM   #14
00jeepsahara
2000 TJ Wrangler 

yeah like mentioned above, your stock axles and gears wont be able to support the weight of the 35s off road. as far as the sye and cv, i didnt have to do that to mine, and i dont get any vibes at all
17" Allied Beadlocks
D60/14BFF
00jeepsahara is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-06-2006, 12:50 PM   #15
McLovin
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjwrnglr
Wait, you have a 35 and want to run 35s? That wouldn't be such a good combo offroad. I have 32s on a 35 and I'm scared to do anything to harm it. There's more to it than just going from a 2"BB and 32s, to a 4" and 35s. What are your gears?? Its more likely that you have 3.07s or 3.73s, also not a good combo with 35s. Sorry for my negative comments, but you have to think about what you're getting into and be prepared to spend a whole lot more. There are more underlying issues and upgrades that are necessary to run a 4" lift with 35s. Don't forget about the stronger brakes too. How will you stop those 35s??
Don't be such a wussy. I ran the gambit between 31's to 36's and never broke my dana 35. I was prepared for it if it did break, but I certainly wasn't scared of it. Big deal you just change the axle shaft. I found the brakes to be adequete. As far as gears go if he has a 4.0L he will have the torque to turn 35's no matter what gears he has. Back before my and my firends had ever heard of the internet we were running wranglers with Dana 35's and never had a problem. It wasn't until I got online that I heard it had such a bad reputation.

To the other dude. Lowering your bumpstops does not hurt your off road ability. It in fact increases it. You really need to understand how things work before you spout off misinformation. By extending your bumpstops you not only keep the tires out of your fenders, but it also forces the oppisate tire down and makes it have better traction.
McLovin is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.