4" Rough country lift anything else?? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > 4" Rough country lift anything else??

Component speaker deal for your dash - NalinMFGIntroducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineSteering and more from Ruffstuff!

Unread 09-18-2007, 01:35 PM   #1
MATTPH77
1998 TJ Wrangler 

4" Rough country lift anything else??

So i got a 4" lift from my girl friend for my birthday.. she also got me billstein shocks to use in stead of the ones that came with the lift (she did her homework) ha ha.. she also bought me a new rear sway bar. Do i need anything else before i get this put on?? thanks gang!

IT'S A JEEP THING!!!!!

98 WRANGLER TJ SAHARA
MATTPH77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-18-2007, 01:46 PM   #2
jeepnmike
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Yep you're gonna need a SYE kit and some bigger meats
Unread 09-18-2007, 01:53 PM   #3
JayRock
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Trac bars (or relocaters) Drive shaft, quick disconnects, and a ring for that girlfriends hand
JayRock is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-18-2007, 02:33 PM   #4
MATTPH77
1998 TJ Wrangler 

ha ha i know she is a keeper... do i need an adjustable track bar right away. i have heard the kit tells you to drill al new hole in the existing one. will that be ok teporary until i can aford an adjustable?? Also can i slide by without the SYE??? i have lowering brackets for my trans. will this be ok??

IT'S A JEEP THING!!!!!

98 WRANGLER TJ SAHARA
Unread 09-18-2007, 02:36 PM   #5
JayRock
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Every Jeep is different so I say maybe.
JayRock is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-18-2007, 02:41 PM   #6
GeoSojdaTJ

Its possible that you MAY get by with a TC drop and MML but SYE/CV is highly recomended

Quote:
Originally Posted by ytodd
I hear ya brother. I don't even bother hauling my recovery gear around on trips I don't schedule to get stuck on. This weekend my tools will be at home since no breakage is on the calendar.
GeoSojdaTJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-18-2007, 02:45 PM   #7
CrzyWhtBy
1997 TJ Wrangler 

The lift kit should have everything needed...the SYE is not necessary as long as you use the drop kit. The track bar uses a modified bracket and the only hole that needs to be drilled is for a second bolt for securing the bracket to the axle. This kit bolts up easy, I know I just put the same kit on my Jeep. You got a good girl !!
CrzyWhtBy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-18-2007, 03:12 PM   #8
JLS

you'll want a front adj track bar ASAP, the bracket is a weak point

do not use the dropped pitman arm

you'll need t-case drop supplied with kit, double check that the parts sent to you are the correct parts needed, they sent me the 2003 t-case drop for my 2001 TJ

extended brake lines

I wouldn't spend money on discos as the sway bar is easy to unbolt zip tie and go

eventually you'll want the sye/ds to remove the t-case drop and reduce u-joint wear and get rid of vibes
JLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-18-2007, 03:36 PM   #9
StvDiego

I have the RC 4" lift on mine and it's OK without the SYE, have a good driveline angle with the TC drop. Having said that I would still recommend an SYE and get rid of the drop if you can, really messes up your clearance. Good choice on the shocks, the RC ones, well, I don't like them.

I used the sway bars mounts that came with the kit until I could get adjustable bars but I would definitely recommend getting those. Get good quality adjustable bars, I went less expensive than the best (cheap) on my front bar (have an RE on the rear) and am paying the price, I'll be buying a better bar very soon.

Extended brake lines depend on how far you drop. My back line and right front when disconnected were stretched to the breaking point and I had to get longer lines. Try it and see.

You may not need the dropped pitman arm, it is a pain to get off anyway so try it first without it. (if you do decide to change it do yourself a favor, run down to the parts store and rent a puller).

Might get a new steering stabilizer while you're changing things down there.

Get an alignment after you're done.

Get some new, bigger tires and wheels, and then new flares, and then new bumpers to balance it out and then get new...

Sure I'm forgetting something but the only other thing I could think of that you might need now is some tools for the GF so she can install it. Don't want her using your tools ya know, she might break 'em or lose 'em. Maybe some cold beer and an umbrella, it can get hot watching someone work.

Good girl, she's a keeper
StvDiego is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-18-2007, 03:46 PM   #10
Brice014
2003 TJ Wrangler 

your gonna need a new girlfriend because im coming up there and stealing her
Low Output 4 Cylinder Jeep Club #420

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigchevyman24
ahhhh....finally 35's...but can't we all dream of 42" TSL's???? Body Cutting, Tube Fenders, Wheelbase Lengthening, 14 Bolts, Dana60s and Detroit Lockers...dreaming is nice, isn't it??????
Maybe one day...
Brice014 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-18-2007, 07:49 PM   #11
06slvrrubi
Lovin' Life

2006 TJ Wrangler 

I just installed this lift last Wed. As everyone says, it includes everything you'll need for now. DO NOT USE THE DROPPED PITMAN ARM. I did and I had a terrible wander, all over the road. I put the stock arm back on the next day and it's all good. I ordered the kit from justliftkits.com and opted for the sway bar disco's for an extra $50. Haven't had a chance yet to try any of it out (haven't had a day off yet to go anywhere) and I haven't even taken any pics of it yet, but it looks good, and the RC shocks don't seem too bad to me........yet. My brake lines still seem to have a good bit of slack, but I haven't disco'd and flexed it out yet, so I'm not sure.
All in all, I'm pretty happy with it, especially for the money.
06slvrrubi is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-19-2007, 02:22 PM   #12
MATTPH77
1998 TJ Wrangler 

AWESOME YOU GUYS ROCK!!! after reading these posts i checked all the parts and made sure they were all there.. the only thing missing seems to be the shock boots... but i have billsteins alnyway soo its all good. wont use the pitman arm... and i am saving up for JKS quick disconnects and adj trac bars!!! ill post pics when i am done!!!

IT'S A JEEP THING!!!!!

98 WRANGLER TJ SAHARA
Unread 09-19-2007, 07:54 PM   #13
06slvrrubi
Lovin' Life

2006 TJ Wrangler 

My shock boots came in a seperate box. They were the only thing in the box that they came in. A lot of my parts came shipped directly from RC. It all came in a total of five boxes, I received two one day and the other three the next day.
06slvrrubi is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.