4 Link Geometry Question - Page 4 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > 4 Link Geometry Question

All Bilstein shocks & struts - Lowest Prices Ever and Santa Kolak Announces: Kolak Exhaust 20% Off Sale!Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 11-01-2010, 02:54 PM   #46
mrblaine
Wizard of Brakes

1999 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dogman View Post
Ok, I need some input on Joints. Should I just go with the CE-9114 (1.25"-12 shank) and 1.5" ID .250 wall tube for all my arms? I know it's over kill for the rear uppers, but it's easier to just order all the same stuff. Is the 2" tube going to cause me trouble anywhere? I can't find 1.25"-12 inserts for 1.25" ID .250 wall tube.

Or, should I step down to the CE-9113 (1.00"-14 shank) for the rear uppers?

For the front upper axle side, I'm thinking about this:

Is that a horrible idea? I have 8" of separation at the axle if I were to use this and the stock LCA brackets.
The problem with that Genright front upper is you can't 3 link off of it. It's not large enough to use by itself, so you'd have to 4 link it and why would you?

The problem with 2" tubing is the barrels on JJ's are 2" wide. You risk burning the snap ring groove when you weld.

The problem with JJ's on the frame side of the uppers is they hold the bolt down from the bottom of the tub too far and that tends to screw up your geometry unless you drop the frame side of the lower below the frame another inch or two.

Any more questions?

Unread 11-01-2010, 03:16 PM   #47
Dogman
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrblaine View Post
The problem with that Genright front upper is you can't 3 link off of it. It's not large enough to use by itself, so you'd have to 4 link it and why would you?

The problem with 2" tubing is the barrels on JJ's are 2" wide. You risk burning the snap ring groove when you weld.

The problem with JJ's on the frame side of the uppers is they hold the bolt down from the bottom of the tub too far and that tends to screw up your geometry unless you drop the frame side of the lower below the frame another inch or two.

Any more questions?
I'm 100% sure I'll have more questions at some point

My lower bolt will be about 1" below the frame rail, so I think I'll be ok there. I'm shooting for 4" of separation to start.

That's too bad about the Gen-Right joint - that would have been very simple. They state it's perfect for their 3-link kit, but I've never seen anyone use it and I was suspicious about that. Since it uses about the same size bolt, is it the joint itself that's not strong enough?
Unread 11-01-2010, 05:24 PM   #48
mrblaine
Wizard of Brakes

1999 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dogman View Post
I'm 100% sure I'll have more questions at some point

My lower bolt will be about 1" below the frame rail, so I think I'll be ok there. I'm shooting for 4" of separation to start.

That's too bad about the Gen-Right joint - that would have been very simple. They state it's perfect for their 3-link kit, but I've never seen anyone use it and I was suspicious about that. Since it uses about the same size bolt, is it the joint itself that's not strong enough?
Genright is welcome to their own opinions about that size joint, but, you are asking a single arm to do the work that used to be shared by two.

I won't ever do it that way and Drew from Poly won't either.
Unread 11-01-2010, 05:46 PM   #49
Dogman
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrblaine View Post
I won't ever do it that way and Drew from Poly won't either.
So is a CE-9114/CE-9114L w/ 2" x .250 wall combo up to the task?

I've decided on CE-9113/CE-9110 for the lowers and CE-9113/CE-9113L for the rear uppers. 1.75" x .250 wall for tubing.

Quote:
See, this is why I ask questions

Tags
4 link , arms , link , mid , suspension

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.