4" lift, Transfer case lowering kit issues* - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > 4" lift, Transfer case lowering kit issues*

Official Chassis Saver Rust Preventive Truck & Auto UnRough Country Lift Kits and Parts!1999-2004 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited Headlight Pair

Unread 06-29-2013, 11:28 AM   #1
isaacGI23
2000 TJ Wrangler 

4" lift, Transfer case lowering kit issues*

Greetings,

I recently installed a 4" suspension lift on my TJ consisting of: Springs, Shocks, swaybar links, and control arms.

The kit also comes with a Transfercase lowering kit, which I am sure as most of you know is basically just two metal bars that act as spacers between the frame and skidplate. I could not for the lift of me get the bolts to come loose, so I gave in and went to a shop to have them do it (figured it would take 15 mins) the guy comes out telling me that he is afraid to do it because (something along the lines of) "one of the bolts is rusted so bad I am afraid if I take it out it wont go back in and it will leave you with a hole in your frame". I didn't feel like arguing so I said "ok" and headed home.

The question now is: What to do?
I am fairly certain that I DO need the lowering kit because I get vibrations now, also the shop guy said that I could avoid the lowering kit by getting a whole new driveshaft, but I dont have the money or the time to do that.

So, has anyone heard of this happening? Should I just try to take the bolts out anyway? A new driveshaft sounds awful...

Also I need the Jeep to get to and from work tomorrow, so quick help would honestly be saving me big time.

-Thanks

****EDIT

A couple other things
1. I truly apologize if this is in the wrong forum, I dont post frequently so its hard for me to figure out, but I do post hear because it seems to be the forum (entire site) with the most amount of knowledgeable people
2. How safe/unsafe is it to drive just on smooth road for a week or two in the condition its in?

isaacGI23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-29-2013, 11:47 AM   #2
isaacGI23
2000 TJ Wrangler 

figured some pictures might help

http://imgur.com/EEP93gv,eGFJ0QX,9t1i41l#0
isaacGI23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-29-2013, 02:49 PM   #3
Zerbrewski
2003 TJ Wrangler 

I used a torch to heat the stuck bolts first, then worked the bolts back and forth with an impact.
Zerbrewski is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-29-2013, 02:53 PM   #4
sjones26573
GO GOATS!

2004 TJ Wrangler 

A new driveshaft as well as a Slip Yoke Eliminator for the back of the Transfercase. About a $400-$500 investment but a much better solution than a transfer case drop.
sjones26573 is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-29-2013, 03:08 PM   #5
otisdog
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Those bolts thread into nutserts which are set in the frame and are replaceable. Best thing to do is get a kit like below then break the darn things out and replace them. Sometimes the nutsert will just break loose and it will just spin with the bolt. Can be hard to deal with.

http://shop.blackmagicbrakes.com/Nut...nt-Kit_c79.htm

Jim
Unread 06-29-2013, 05:26 PM   #6
5spdftw
2002 TJ Wrangler 

If you can swing it, I vote you do a SYE and a new driveshaft. Your Jeep will love you for it. Adding 4" of lift and then lowering the T-Case skid always sounded pointless to me. At that stage, wouldn't a 3" lift have served the same purpose?
5spdftw is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-29-2013, 07:05 PM   #7
rda616
1998 TJ Wrangler 

You will also need adjustable upper control arms with the double cardan driveshaft and slip yoke eliminator. The case drop is a half a$$ way of doing things and almost always accompany a cheap lift kit.
rda616 is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.