4" lift with stock control arms - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > 4" lift with stock control arms

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineThe ULTIMATE "Selectable" Locker System! BroughFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye Kit

Unread 08-02-2010, 05:37 PM   #1
paydirtdave
2006 TJ Wrangler 

4" lift with stock control arms

People are running TJs with 4" of lift stock upper & lower control arms and only lowering Transfer case 1/2" how do they do it? Is a double cardan drive shaft in the rear the answer? or is it a motom mount lift

paydirtdave is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-02-2010, 05:39 PM   #2
Sundowner
Part-Time Swami

2003 TJ Wrangler 

SYE, double cardan shaft, motor mount lift...and still a bad idea.

The Republic of Dave: Bringing you the finest in simian testing supplies.

The build, the gear, and the mileage: The Wasteland Survival Guide
Sundowner is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-02-2010, 05:39 PM   #3
WeezyBlue
2005 TJ Wrangler 

I run a 3.25" suspension lift and 1" BL and MML... that's a combined 4.25, and my tcase isn't lowered at all, no vibes.

I can't imagine being able to go any higher any other way without a SYE or tcase drop though
WeezyBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-02-2010, 05:44 PM   #4
paydirtdave
2006 TJ Wrangler 

WeezyBlue you must be using adjustable control arms.....yes

Sundowner could you tell me why thats a bad idea and share with me your good idea please
Unread 08-02-2010, 05:47 PM   #5
paydirtdave
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Why do so many 4" lift lifts come with only lower non adjustable control arms. The kits should be more up front with the consumer as to what is needed.
Unread 08-02-2010, 05:50 PM   #6
WeezyBlue
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by paydirtdave View Post
WeezyBlue you must be using adjustable control arms.....yes
Stock arms. I wouldn't go any higher without adjustables though. Will flex over 1000 too

Here are some pics:

Side Shot

Flex
Unread 08-02-2010, 05:51 PM   #7
Imped
Web Wheeler

2004 TJ Wrangler 

Stock control arms with more than ~3" of lift = bad idea. Your wheelbase is pulled in. Obviously you CAN run stock arms with more but it's not a good idea IMO. Hell, I don't think running short arms on anything over 2.5-3" of lift is a good idea.

Weezy, the body lift has nothing to do with suspension height so keep it out of the equation. You've got 3.25" suspension lift and a 1" MML to help the rear output angle. If you had anymore lift you'd probably have vibes but I'm not too surprised to hear you don't.

paydirtdave, the stock slip yoke rear output is crap. Put a SYE and associated needed parts high up on your list and you'll be able to run much steeper angles than a few inches of lift. Transfer case drops are just bandaids so there is no point in doing one with a fixed rear output and double cardan drive shaft. My driveline is seeing ~5" of lift with ~2.5" of suspension lift and a Rokmen skid plate, which lifts the t-case ~2.5". It will be going up another 2" soon with a flat skid. There will be no problems.
Imped is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-02-2010, 06:03 PM   #8
WeezyBlue
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Imped View Post
Weezy, the body lift has nothing to do with suspension height so keep it out of the equation. You've got 3.25" suspension lift and a 1" MML to help the rear output angle. If you had anymore lift you'd probably have vibes but I'm not too surprised to hear you don't.
I'm well aware, but he did not specify what kind of lift.... just lift. So I was simply providing some info from personal experience. Before the MML and BL I had to lower the tcase about .5 to .75" to remove vibes at 3.25" SL.

The BL and MML are exactly why I am able to go the 3.25 without a tcase drop. That's why I'm factoring it into the equation, and that's why I specified that I had 3.25 in suspension and 1 in body. I don't see how it could be possible to go higher than that on the suspension lit without further mods. Before the original tcase drop and subsequent BL/MML I had begun experiencing minor driveline vibes at 2.5" lift in the rear.

And with the 3.25 I don't think the wheelbase is too bad, but I know the wheelbase shrinks exponentially and another quarter inch vertically would probably start to look pretty noticable.

I'm a college student, I just built on a budget
Unread 08-02-2010, 06:09 PM   #9
Sundowner
Part-Time Swami

2003 TJ Wrangler 

Imped: which flat skid are you going with?

Unread 08-02-2010, 06:13 PM   #10
Imped
Web Wheeler

2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundowner View Post
Imped: which flat skid are you going with?
Mine. 1/4" plate. ~3/16 channel for the transmission mount. Simple as that.

That will tuck things up HIGH, possibly a little too high for my likings. It will raise the t-case ~4.5" over stock.
Unread 08-02-2010, 06:20 PM   #11
UTWeezul
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Interested to see how that looks on there. When are you putting it on?
PSC full corners and modded 3" flares
4.56s, Aussie front and Detroit rear
Building a HP30...
UTWeezul is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-02-2010, 06:20 PM   #12
Sundowner
Part-Time Swami

2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Imped View Post
Mine.
Nice.

It never occurred to me to just make my own, and I've got a piece or two of AR500 plate laying around that might work. I'm keeping my stock springs and only putting in a spacer where needed to level out the suspension, so I should have plenty of room. Will a 1" body lift will be enough to allow something like that?

Unread 08-02-2010, 06:22 PM   #13
vtx531
2002 TJ Wrangler 

I did it but my kti came with 1.75" TC lowering kit I think. Also D44 vs. D35 makes a difference (D35 has a longer driveshaft). Also the tranny makesa difference. (5speed is shorter I think). Worst combo for vibes is an auto with a D44.

MY JEEP
vtx531 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-02-2010, 06:28 PM   #14
Imped
Web Wheeler

2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by UTWeezul View Post
Interested to see how that looks on there. When are you putting it on?
It will look flat. I might do it next weekend. But I'll probably do it the following weekend.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundowner View Post
Nice.

It never occurred to me to just make my own, and I've got a piece or two of AR500 plate laying around that might work. I'm keeping my stock springs and only putting in a spacer where needed to level out the suspension, so I should have plenty of room. Will a 1" body lift will be enough to allow something like that?
I've got a 1.25" body lift so a 1" should be just fine. It's a TIGHT fit, though....and that's with a low profile transmission mount. You'll also need to lower the fan shroud a bit, cut down the exhaust mount to lower the cat (and muffler if you still have one) and will need to ditch the factory t-case linkage. I will probably space it down 1" but we'll see. 20" @ the belly on 2.5" of lift and 35's is sweet.
Unread 08-02-2010, 06:38 PM   #15
Sundowner
Part-Time Swami

2003 TJ Wrangler 

Good information...I was thinking to get the Savvy UnderArmor, but I'd rather build something myself.

Tags
stock , control arms , mml , motor mount lift , sye , tj , wrangler

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.