JeepForum.com

JeepForum.com (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/)
-   TJ Wrangler Technical Forum (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f9/)
-   -   From 4" lift to possibly 3" (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f9/4-lift-possibly-3-a-1487751/)

STi954 03-04-2013 10:00 AM

From 4" lift to possibly 3"

Hello all,
I just want to verify what I need to do to lessen my lift. My plan is to do a tummy tuck this month and front flat fenders(which I have in my possession already). I'd like to drop my lift height, right now I have a tuff country 4" kit that the P.O. put on(I have put on adjustable control arms) What would be required to do so? I was thinking get different springs and adjust my control arms to get the proper driveshaft angles. May be wishful thinking but if everything works out correctly I wouldn't need different length driveshafts. What am I missing?
Thanks for the help! :tea:

BYuen 03-04-2013 10:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by STi954 (Post 15075037)
Hello all,
I just want to verify what I need to do to lessen my lift. My plan is to do a tummy tuck this month and front flat fenders(which I have in my possession already). I'd like to drop my lift height, right now I have a tuff country 4" kit that the P.O. put on(I have put on adjustable control arms) What would be required to do so? I was thinking get different springs and adjust my control arms to get the proper driveshaft angles. May be wishful thinking but if everything works out correctly I wouldn't need different length driveshafts. What am I missing?
Thanks for the help! :tea:

New springs are all you really need along with the adjustable control arms. Do you have adjustable front and rear track bars as well? A 1" difference probably won't cause your axles to shift in one direction that much. While you're replacing your springs, I would also check your bumpstop/shock/tire clearance. Make sure your bumpstops aren't too short or if they are too long, you can shorten them to get more uptravel. To do this, take the rubber jouncers out of the shock towers. Jack the axle evenly all the way up until it reaches full bumpstop. If your shocks bottom out first, then you need to add longer bumpstops or get a shorter compressed length shock. If you do this with your tires on the axle, then you can check for tire clearance.

STi954 03-04-2013 10:16 AM

Yes I do have adjustable track bars. Thanks for the info I will keep that in mind! I'm slowly working towards "lcog" but have a long way to go.

mdm 03-04-2013 10:30 AM

Depending on how old your springs are, how well they've held up, and what new springs you are going to get there is the possibility that your new 3" springs could end up being not much different or even taller than your old 4" springs. Measure your current springs. On the front anything over 12" is lift. On the rear springs anything over 8" is lift. This will let you know where you sit now.

STi954 03-04-2013 10:34 AM

I was actually just thinking about that and was wondering if 2.5" would be better? Not wanting to go too low just wanting more stability and this at the moment is more or less thinking out loud. I'll do some measuring this week and go from there. Do you happen to know the length of the 2.5 front/ rear? I just glanced at quadratec on break and didn't see any length specs.

STi954 03-04-2013 10:35 AM

Just found the "coil spring measurement" FAQ
Thanks

BYuen 03-04-2013 11:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by STi954 (Post 15075208)
I was actually just thinking about that and was wondering if 2.5" would be better? Not wanting to go too low just wanting more stability and this at the moment is more or less thinking out loud. I'll do some measuring this week and go from there. Do you happen to know the length of the 2.5 front/ rear? I just glanced at quadratec on break and didn't see any length specs.

All depends on your goals and what works best for where you wheel. Some places more lift is better than others. 2" of lift with 34" tires is pretty LCOG. If you go that low, you really start to sacrifice up travel if you don't add more clearance at your fenders. In my opinion, 3" is a good balance. Really depends on what you're trying to do though. I like my 4" suspension and 35s. It's real stable in off camber stuff by the time you air down and everything. It would be even better with an off road sway bar.

LJALLEN 03-04-2013 02:00 PM

Don't forget to reset your toe in cause after you lower it you'll probably be toed-out.

The time now is 08:43 PM.