JeepForum.com

JeepForum.com (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/)
-   TJ Wrangler Technical Forum (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f9/)
-   -   4 inch lift (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f9/4-inch-lift-1554304/)

xckorba 07-27-2013 11:44 AM

4 inch lift
 
I'm thinking about purchasing a 4 inch suspension lift for my 2005 TJ and I have no clue where to start. If anyone could suggest a good lift that would be appreciated.

rda616 07-27-2013 02:56 PM

What is your budget? What size tires? What type of use does the jeep see?

xckorba 07-27-2013 03:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rda616
What is your budget? What size tires? What type of use does the jeep see?

2 grand is my budget. I already have a 3 inch body lift on it. So I would probably have to put 33s or 35s on it. I go offroading and mudding occasionally. But it's my DD.

sjones26573 07-27-2013 03:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by xckorba (Post 15725124)
2 grand is my budget. I already have a 3 inch body lift on it. So I would probably have to put 33s or 35s on it. I go offroading and mudding occasionally. But it's my DD.

Cut 2" off that BL and get shorter bolts. Then look at Savvy, Currie, Metalcloak, Zone and BDS and decide what you are prepared to spend. At 4" you have to add an SYE, new Driveshaft, Adjustable rear upper control arms, Adjustable track bars and probably something else I'm forgetting. That gets expensive.

RDaniel2405 07-27-2013 03:13 PM

That will depend on who you talk to, what you want to do, and how much you want to spend. There is more to a 4'' lift then what most places sell in there kits. Likely you will want/need a slip yoke eliminator kit to get rid of drive line vibes. Also I highly recommend adjustable track bars, at least for the front axle. If your just trying to run 35'' tires on your rig, you can do a 2'' suspension lift with Metalcloak Fenders, If you want to go that route. Personally, when I get back form Afghanistan, I have been looking at the Metalcloak 3.5'' suspension lift with the Old Man Emu shocks. But I also need/want to upgrade my axles.

Right now, I got the Rough Country N2.0 4'' lift, and have had no problems with it for easy-mild trails. But If I was to do it again. I would do JKS 1.25'' body lift and a 3-3.5 suspension lift

The Zone Combo Lift a commonly used lift on here. http://zoneoffroad.com/product?ki=451&gr=-1

xckorba 07-27-2013 03:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sjones26573

Cut 2" off that BL and get shorter bolts. Then look at Savvy, Currie, Metalcloak, Zone and BDS and decide what you are prepared to spend. At 4" you have to add an SYE, new Driveshaft, Adjustable rear upper control arms, Adjustable track bars and probably something else I'm forgetting. That gets expensive.

I'm just a beginner here. I've never done something that elaborate. Could you recommend something that wouldn't require adding all of that.

xckorba 07-27-2013 03:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RDaniel2405
That will depend on who you talk to, what you want to do, and how much you want to spend. There is more to a 4'' lift then what most places sell in there kits. Likely you will want/need a slip yoke eliminator kit to get rid of drive line vibes. Also I highly recommend adjustable track bars, at least for the front axle. If your just trying to run 35'' tires on your rig, you can do a 2'' suspension lift with Metalcloak Fenders, If you want to go that route. Personally, when I get back form Afghanistan, I have been looking at the Metalcloak 3.5'' suspension lift with the Old Man Emu shocks. But I also need/want to upgrade my axles.

Right now, I got the Rough Country N2.0 4'' lift, and have had no problems with it for easy-mild trails. But If I was to do it again. I would do JKS 1.25'' body lift and a 3-3.5 suspension lift

The Zone Combo Lift a commonly used lift on here. http://zoneoffroad.com/product?ki=451&gr=-1

That combo lift looks interesting. But could I keep my 3 inch body lift? And would I need a lift to install all of that it could I use a floor jack and jack stands?

sjones26573 07-27-2013 03:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by xckorba (Post 15725242)
I'm just a beginner here. I've never done something that elaborate. Could you recommend something that wouldn't require adding all of that.

3" or less lift. Savvy/Currie 3" is the best option, but there are good options for less coin.

sjones26573 07-27-2013 03:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by xckorba (Post 15725246)
That combo lift looks interesting. But could I keep my 3 inch body lift? And would I need a lift to install all of that it could I use a floor jack and jack stands?

And again, lose that 3" bl. Cut it down to 1". You don't need it.

xckorba 07-27-2013 03:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sjones26573

3" or less lift. Savvy/Currie 3" is the best option, but there are good options for less coin.

Okay thank you. Can you install it with just a floor jack and jack stands?

sjones26573 07-27-2013 03:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by xckorba (Post 15725254)
Okay thank you. Can you install it with just a floor jack and jack stands?

Well, I think you'll need some tools too. :D

But yes, shouldn't need anything special. A torque wrench would be handy but not necessary.

xckorba 07-27-2013 03:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sjones26573

And again, lose that 3" bl. Cut it down to 1". You don't need it.

Okay sounds good. Thank you

xckorba 07-27-2013 04:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sjones26573

Well, I think you'll need some tools too. :D

But yes, shouldn't need anything special. A torque wrench would be handy but not necessary.

Haha yes tools would help. I have plenty of tools and a torque wrench. Thank you for your help.

Knuckelhead 07-27-2013 04:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by xckorba (Post 15724646)
I'm thinking about purchasing a 4 inch suspension lift for my 2005 TJ and I have no clue where to start.

You could start by reading this:http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f9/fi...ofiles-402432/...

rda616 07-27-2013 05:30 PM

If you just want 33's than add a 2" suspension lift and cut the body lift down to 1.25". Not to many here are fans of 3" body lifts. They look awful and can cause other issues as well. If you just want a simple lift that won't require lots of extras just to run 33's and you don't have any armor, or a winch than rough country has a 2.5" lift that would be fine for those needs. It comes with springs and shocks. You will need to add bumpstop extensions, but you can add a motor mount lift and a new 1.25" body lift to the kit for a total of 3.75" of lift. They are a entry level suspension company for those who don't need the best. You can also add longer sway bar links, front disconnects, adjustable front track bar and rear track bar bracket. I wouldn't buy a track bar from rough country though. Look at jks, Currie, or metalcloak for those. Also don't upgrade to the 2.2 shocks they are notorious for bad ride quality.

Better would be an old man emu lift like the dpg ultimate kit.

I would still say best suspension lift is still the savvy 3", but you may not need that caliber of a lift.

Stay as low as you can and it can cost you thousands less.


The time now is 06:08 AM.

Powered by vBulletin Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.