4 cyl vs 6 cyl? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > 4 cyl vs 6 cyl?

FS: Wrangler RGB Multicolor Fog Light LEDs: Awesome EffectJKS Now Available at www.baseline4x4.com, Trackbars, SkidsFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye Kit

Unread 11-04-2003, 09:21 AM   #1
reactor

4 cyl vs 6 cyl?

I am looking to buy a used Jeep. Is there a significant difference between the 4cyl and 6 cyl engines? The vehicle I am (going) to look at is a 97 Wrangler 4cyl with a 5 speed. I'm really not looking to do any offroading, but there are a number of hills in my town and we also tend to get a good amount of snow near me. The vehicle supposedly comes with a tow package so I'm assuming it's got sufficient pull but I also don't know what the tow rating is.

Also if anyone knows of any significant issues with this model year please let me know. Any opinions on this subject would be appreciated.

reactor is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-04-2003, 12:00 PM   #2
drzima

Had em Both, got the tow package as well with mine. Don't expect to pull anything to heavy with a 4Cyl. The only thing I can say is that you get more power and less engine wear with a 6Cyl... On the highway you'll notice people blasting by you in a 4Cyl...or at least I did. I'd never go back to a 4 cyl personally because I like the power, but when I had my 4cly it worked for me just fine.

-Z.

'98 Wrangler 4.0L Sport
'06 Harley Davidson Deluxe
drzima is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-04-2003, 04:10 PM   #3
Warrior8

With the 4cyl expect to do a lot of down shifting while going up hills, it lags on the highway also. However the 4 gets better mileage than the 6 and also has enough low end torque to get you through the mud given MT tires. But as a daily driver, i would hold out for a 6, the X models are priced reasonably.
Warrior8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-04-2003, 05:01 PM   #4
Pakrjeep

Quote:
Originally Posted by reactor
I am looking to buy a used Jeep. Is there a significant difference between the 4cyl and 6 cyl engines? The vehicle I am (going) to look at is a 97 Wrangler 4cyl with a 5 speed. I'm really not looking to do any offroading, but there are a number of hills in my town and we also tend to get a good amount of snow near me. The vehicle supposedly comes with a tow package so I'm assuming it's got sufficient pull but I also don't know what the tow rating is.

Also if anyone knows of any significant issues with this model year please let me know. Any opinions on this subject would be appreciated.

I own a 99 4 cyl and can honestly say it is better than expected. I've noticed slight lag picking up speed on the highway on/off ramps, but for normal city driving it is more than sufficient. I told my wife anything more would get me into trouble! On the highway passing can be hard because of the lag.
Let's just say this--I don't mind my 4 cyl, but on my next Jeep i'm going with the 6.
Pakrjeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-04-2003, 05:02 PM   #5
Bebop

I have a 98 4 cylinder that I just bought used. On the trail it is great, but on the highway, I was getting passed alot. I would recommend the 6 especially with lots of hills in your area.
Bebop is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-04-2003, 05:08 PM   #6
FanAholic
2007 MK Compass 

it also depends on how you dirve. Like when you shift gears. My friend has a 4 cyl and 31's and he can flat outrun his dads on the higway and he has a 6 and 31's with 3.07 gears. My six with 3.73 gears and 33's runs about like my friends 4 cyl. I have driven my moms 4 cyl again 31's and it seems like it runs better on the highway than mine.
Unread 11-04-2003, 05:12 PM   #7
audie

When I went shopping, the price differance between 4 & 6 was about 5 grand. Course I got the 4 cyl. soft top with half doors. What I really wish for is a hardtop or at least windows that roll up! The 4 is slow, the top is noisy, the windows are a pain, I get between 18-20mog city/highway, and I really love my jeep.
a lot. a real lot.
Oh yeah, the max tow rating is like 1500 lbs. Short wheelbase, light weight vehicle.
Unread 11-04-2003, 05:25 PM   #8
doorocks
Web Wheeler

Quote:

Okay, here's the skinny. I have a'99 4banger....31/10.50, 4.10 gears. Before I made some mods, I did well on the hwy, great around town, good off-road(it's a jeep, remember) but up loooong hills, I would be downshifting, etc. As for passing, well.....Jeeps aren't for screaming down the road.

Mods: Jacobs/FC1000 Fire Control Ignition, Airaid intake and +4 Bosch plugs. Results: I do 75 on rte101, will accelerate generously in 5th gear at 65....can go from a dead stop at an onramp and be screamin' at 60-70mph when I hit the hwy. Yes that setup made that much of a difference. Not to mention my performance off-road increase, torque wise and that's what I wanted.

So I saved 4500.00 bucks instead of buying the 4.0..........BUT, I think the 4.0 will be the next buy....as a matter of fact, I thought I saw my wife at the dealer Saturday climbing into a Rubicon......and yes, she would do that to me.
doorocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-04-2003, 07:45 PM   #9
DouginTN
2008 JK Wrangler 

Ok

I have owned my 4-cylinder now for only three weeks. But I have to say it will sufficiently do five over the speed limit, even in the hills of TN. Yes, I have to keep it in fourth gear when traversing the hills on the interstate, but when the hills flatten out, I can upshift to fifth.
For me, it is perfect for what I purchased it for, a second car to drive during inclement weather. (When I have a need for speed, I just pull the Vette out and with 400+ horses, I have all the speed I need.) However, I do admit, I do love driving the Jeep, even in good weather with the top off. I like it more than I thought I would.
The Jeep will never see true off-road use, the hardest it will be used is nasty dirt roads when I'm on a photo trip. It does have another advantage, it has never scraped bottom when entering any of the roads and/or driveways in the area. My other car, scraps the air deflector all the time.
DouginTN is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-04-2003, 08:28 PM   #10
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxgksspot

I think alot of it depends on how desperate you are to buy one now. I bought mine (97 TJ 6cyl) yesterday for the price of the middle of the pack 4 cyl in my area. I waited for a while (6 weeks) and I checked autotrader 6 to 10 times a day for one in my range and the SECOND the ad came up on the real great deal I test drove it and bought it.
Patience and you can get your cake and eat it too. Mine also came with a SYE and CV driveshaft, 5 inchs of lift, new 33 inch mudterrains, 1 yr old Bestop softop, plus the Dana 44 :-) and low miles 65k

Last edited by xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxgksspot; 11-04-2003 at 08:31 PM..
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxgksspot is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-04-2003, 09:04 PM   #11
dakuda
Admin, Jeep in Pieces

1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:

I have a 98 4-banger with the 5-speed and have no complaints. Granted, I've only had it for a couple months. I drive it 45 minutes to work each day and get about 18 mpg in country roads. Contrairy to what the Cheeseheads say, us Flat Landers in Illinois do have hills, and you just have to be get used to downshifting for them. (Just as joke with the names there - have a little fun)
If it's any consolation, I bought this as the second vehicle with better gas milage - what was I thinking? But I love it either way.

2013 Dodge Charger | 1998 Jeep Wrangler | Ramsey Winches | www.dakuda.com
dakuda is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-04-2003, 09:47 PM   #12
rustinh1
2004 TJ Wrangler 

i have a 99 4cyl with 33s. i know that you probably arent going to lift it or mod it, but I definitely suggest the 6 if you ever think you might want to mod it in the future. Also, you might want to look at resale value and the speed at which they sell. Having said this, look for my sig. to say 4.0 XJ swap in the next month or so. Regearing is almost going to cost me the same. Anybody interested in 99 TJ 4cyl, trans, or tcase with 45k on them??
-rusty
rustinh1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-04-2003, 10:18 PM   #13
carlson
2012 JK Wrangler 

I USED to have a 4 banger and traded it for the 6. I would NEVER go back. If you were driving into a head wind you had to keep it in 4th gear all the time. Remember that a JEEP is about as aerodynamic as a brick!
35" Goodyear Duratracs
carlson is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-04-2003, 11:53 PM   #14
franco802

I have had my jeep for 2 weeks now. i have the 4.0L, don't get anything else! I test drove the 4 banger and it was a gutless wonder(no offense to 4 cyl owners). The 4.0L has so much torque that when you are slowing down sometimes you don't even need to downshift,just hit the gas again. When on the freeway just hit the gas to pass, don't even need to downshift!
04' X, 5 speed, 4.0L,hardtop,kilby PS armor,Warn rock guards,2"RE BB w/DT3000 shocks, hi-lift jack,15x8 Black crawlers with 31x10.5 Procomp X-Terrains, Hurst short throw shifter Hella 500's offroad AND driving lights . Warn X8000i winch w/ Tomken mounting plate
White Jeep Club member #802
FOLLOW ME TO CERTAIN DEATH JEEP CLUB MEMEBER #21
SoCal Jeep Club Member #4
2006 GTO & 1986 K5 Blazer
franco802 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-05-2003, 12:01 AM   #15
04Willys

I'd say get the 4.0L. If you don't that will be a big part of your jeep that you may regret. A lot of other features can be easily changed, but swapping an engine is a big process. Personally, I always get the most powerful engine available for any car I buy. I learned my lesson after my first car which was a 65 mustang with a 200ci straight 6. I always regretted not getting the V8 until the day I sold it.

"[COLOR=white]The no-mind no-thinks no-thoughts about no-things.[/COLOR]" - The Buddha
04Willys is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.