4 Cyl. towing capacity? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > 4 Cyl. towing capacity?

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineThe Solution to Radius Arm Bind - Meet Lock-N-LoadFS: Jeep Fog Light LED Bulbs! Several Brightness Options!

Unread 09-03-2003, 07:13 AM   #1
Sporty76

4 Cyl. towing capacity?

The 4 Cyl. automatics have a towing capacity of 1000 lbs. but the manual transmission is not recomended for towing. Does anyone know why this is? Do they just have a really weak clutch or is the tranny just not capable of handling a load like that?

Are there any clutch upgrades around that would allow a 4 cylinder manual tranny to tow a trailer?

Sorry for all of the question but I am new to jeeps and any help would be appreciated.

Thanks
Frank

Sporty76 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-03-2003, 10:17 AM   #2
Jerry Bransford
Administrator

2004 TJ Wrangler 

Who said the manual tranny is "not recommended for towing"? I ask because Jeep's official towing limit for a Jeep with a 2.5L engine and 5-speed is 2,000 lbs, while as you know the 2.5L and automatic is only 1,000 lbs. It sure looks like Jeep feels the 5-speed is more capable than the automatic is for towing purposes.

Coolest offroad magazine ever! CRAWL Magazine

When you have a choice, buy American.
Jerry Bransford is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-03-2003, 11:07 AM   #3
Sporty76

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry Bransford
Who said the manual tranny is "not recommended for towing"? I ask because Jeep's official towing limit for a Jeep with a 2.5L engine and 5-speed is 2,000 lbs, while as you know the 2.5L and automatic is only 1,000 lbs. It sure looks like Jeep feels the 5-speed is more capable than the automatic is for towing purposes.
I went to a jeep dealer and according to there book, The 2.5L with an automatic has a towing capacity of 1,000 lbs. with a manual, it says not recomended. They showed me the book. It is possible that they had some bad information but this was official Jeep printed specs. It was not an actual Jeep Wrangler brochure, but some type of Pocket Salesman guide. Strange?

After reading your comment, I did some searching on the internet and I found several different pages that listed the manual transmission as having a 2000 lb. towing capacity.

So if my primary concern is being able to tow a trailer, There is no reason I have to stick with the 6 cyl. engine. Is that correct?

If that is the case, than I have no more question. Thank you for your help.

Frank
Unread 09-03-2003, 11:16 AM   #4
Avor
2001 XJ Cherokee 

Sounds like the salesmen book is so they get fewer warranty fix issues to me. If it can tow 2k, but they're telling you otherwise, sounds like they are just making sure they keep their $$$$ =)
Unread 09-03-2003, 11:16 AM   #5
Jerry Bransford
Administrator

2004 TJ Wrangler 

So long as your trailer isn't overly heavy and you conscientiously manage the tongue-weight so it's no less than 10% of the total trailer's weight, you should be fine. Though understand 2,000 lbs. is still a lot of weight for the Wrangler's short wheelbase.

Coolest offroad magazine ever! CRAWL Magazine

When you have a choice, buy American.
Jerry Bransford is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-03-2003, 11:26 AM   #6
Sporty76

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry Bransford
So long as your trailer isn't overly heavy and you conscientiously manage the tongue-weight so it's no less than 10% of the total trailer's weight, you should be fine. Though understand 2,000 lbs. is still a lot of weight for the Wrangler's short wheelbase.
The biggest thing I will probably want to tow is about a 1500 lb boat. Mostly it will be a 1000 lb teardrop trailer so I should be good.

Other than the obvious less power, is there any other reason to stay away from the 4 cyl engine? Is it as reliable as the 6? Any thing else I should consider before purchase?

What about larger tires? If I put oversize tires on a 4 cyl. Jeep, will it still be able to get up and go? I probably will not go over a 31" tire.

Thanks
Frank

Last edited by Sporty76; 09-03-2003 at 11:28 AM..
Unread 09-03-2003, 12:15 PM   #7
SlinkyTJ
This space for rent.

1997 TJ Wrangler 

I used to have a 4 cyl wrangler and towed a small trailer loaded with fishing equipment regularly. I'm not sure what it weighed, but it had 3 large full coolers and plenty of tackle for the 8 surf rods on a rack on top. My jeep did just fine from here to the beach. Now if you want to get out on the highway much, you might as well forget the 4, especially with larger tires. I couldn't get much over 65.
Unread 09-03-2003, 02:22 PM   #8
KaiserJeep
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Keep in mind we are talking about different powertrains.

The '97-'02 4-cylinder TJ's had the 2.5L engine and the AX-5 transmission made by Aisin. They indeed have a 1000-lb towing capacity.

The '03 and '04 4-cylinder TJ's have the 2.4L and the AS72 5-speed transmission. They have NOT RECCOMENDED FOR TOWING in the specification.

I'd suggest the reason is the transmission, not the clutch. I have never seen a published torque capacity spec for the AS72, but IMHO that's probably why they don't want you to tow with it.

I would suggest that you upgrade to the "X" model if you want to tow a 1500-lb boat. That will have a 4.0L and either a NV-3550 or a 42RLE, both suitable for towing.
2003 Wrangler Rubicon TJ
KaiserJeep is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-03-2003, 07:42 PM   #9
Sporty76

Quote:
Originally Posted by KaiserJeep
Keep in mind we are talking about different powertrains.

The '97-'02 4-cylinder TJ's had the 2.5L engine and the AX-5 transmission made by Aisin. They indeed have a 1000-lb towing capacity.

The '03 and '04 4-cylinder TJ's have the 2.4L and the AS72 5-speed transmission. They have NOT RECCOMENDED FOR TOWING in the specification.

I'd suggest the reason is the transmission, not the clutch. I have never seen a published torque capacity spec for the AS72, but IMHO that's probably why they don't want you to tow with it.

I would suggest that you upgrade to the "X" model if you want to tow a 1500-lb boat. That will have a 4.0L and either a NV-3550 or a 42RLE, both suitable for towing.
I don't know about the difference in years, but I bought a 2000 Wrangler tonight with the 2.5L 4 cylinder.

The owners manual gives it a 2000 lb towing capacity.

While I was at the dealership, I had my friend look up the specs again. The book he was looking in was 2002 specs and on one page, it said "not recomended" for the 4 cyl with a manual tranny. On another page in the same book, it listed it as having a 2000 lb towing capacity.

Go figure?
Frank
Unread 09-03-2003, 08:13 PM   #10
Tango

towing with a Jeep is not really about what it can pull ......its about what it can stop......just don't tow anything over 2000 lbs

Tango
Tango is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.