4.5" RE long arm installed- now shifting probs. Help? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > 4.5" RE long arm installed- now shifting probs. Help?

Metalcloak's Black Friday & Small Business Saturday SaNEW!! HMF 50"-52" light bar mounting brackets!! NEW JK WRANGLER GRAB BARS NOW at ROCKRIDGE4WD

Unread 12-01-2009, 01:19 PM   #1
VanBCguy
Web Wheeler

1999 WJ 

4.5" RE long arm installed- now shifting probs. Help?

I recently had a 4.5" RE long arm lift installed. Of course, a CV and SYE were used with it. It's a custom tri-link in the rear. 5.13 gears in D44 axles. No tranny or t-case lift was done.

But here's the problem: Ever since the moment I picked it up, I have trouble finding exactly where my 1st gear and 3rd gear is. I feel like I'm in, but not nearly as deep as I used to be (the throw is shorter). And many times, if I'm in first (or so I think) when I go to pull away from a stop light, the shifter will pop out of what I thought was first. I can also be in 3rd gear and driving, let off the throttle and then lightly back on and *poof*, I've popped out of 3rd. Clutch in, swing the shifter down to neutral, back into 3rd, problem fixed.

But this was never the case before my suspension install. I had a longer throw into the top gears (1st, 3rd, 5th) and I NEVER popped out.

I hope I've described this well enough. If you need more details, please feel free to ask.

Help?

VanBCguy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-01-2009, 02:38 PM   #2
VanBCguy
Web Wheeler

1999 WJ 

bump for help?
Unread 12-01-2009, 03:25 PM   #3
VanBCguy
Web Wheeler

1999 WJ 

Really? No-one?

Help? Please?
Unread 12-01-2009, 05:45 PM   #4
Piratejonh
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Pull the shift boot off and see if the shifter is hitting the edge of the hole. The transmission may be in just a little bit off with the new belly plate, causing the shifter to hit.
Unread 12-01-2009, 05:49 PM   #5
Fropleyqk
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Piratejonh View Post
Pull the shift boot off and see if the shifter is hitting the edge of the hole.
x2

You didnt have a BL done at the same time did you? Dont really see how that would effect 1st and 3rd though....

Make sure the tranny and skid are sitting correctly. When the shop did your SYE theres no telling what they might have removed. Check the tranny mount too.
Unread 12-01-2009, 05:52 PM   #6
yarmish
1999 TJ Wrangler 

i had the same feeling after i installed my RE long arm upgrade kit. it is that the new belly pan raises your transmission a few inches therefore 1st 3rd and 5th and are now a few inches more forward if you get what i am saying? Basically it will just take a lil getting used to.

hope this helped
Unread 12-01-2009, 08:53 PM   #7
VanBCguy
Web Wheeler

1999 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by yarmish View Post
i had the same feeling after i installed my RE long arm upgrade kit. it is that the new belly pan raises your transmission a few inches therefore 1st 3rd and 5th and are now a few inches more forward if you get what i am saying? Basically it will just take a lil getting used to.

hope this helped
Not to disregard the above comments because they're both pretty on the mark, but yours seems to have nailed it. Unfortunately, this isn't something I could just "get used to". My shifter pops itself out of gear when I throttle up at all and 1st is extremely hard to find. Maybe if the tranny has moved forward a bit, I could cut back the front of the hole?

Ideas?
Unread 12-02-2009, 12:36 AM   #8
VanBCguy
Web Wheeler

1999 WJ 

Bump to get "unlost" amongst the many threads?
Unread 12-02-2009, 05:45 AM   #9
yarmish
1999 TJ Wrangler 

yours seems to be worse than mine,i had a few times where i thought it was in gear and would come out upon releasing the clutch but that was only for the first few drive's after the long arms. did you maybe have a t-case drop before this lift was installed making it a big change for you?
Unread 12-02-2009, 06:03 AM   #10
ISurvivedNMU
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by VanBCguy View Post
Not to disregard the above comments because they're both pretty on the mark, but yours seems to have nailed it. Unfortunately, this isn't something I could just "get used to". My shifter pops itself out of gear when I throttle up at all and 1st is extremely hard to find. Maybe if the tranny has moved forward a bit, I could cut back the front of the hole?

Ideas?
As the others have said. Take your shift boot off and see where it is hitting. You can bend the sheet metal of the body to make it shift better, or you can bend the shifter.
Unread 12-02-2009, 11:18 AM   #11
VanBCguy
Web Wheeler

1999 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by yarmish View Post
yours seems to be worse than mine,i had a few times where i thought it was in gear and would come out upon releasing the clutch but that was only for the first few drive's after the long arms. did you maybe have a t-case drop before this lift was installed making it a big change for you?
Quote:
Originally Posted by ISurvivedNMU View Post
As the others have said. Take your shift boot off and see where it is hitting. You can bend the sheet metal of the body to make it shift better, or you can bend the shifter.
Thanks guys. To answer the most frequent question so far, no I didn't have had a t-case drop.

Im going to remove the boot today and see what I can find. I'm not very up on tranny issues, but I'm assuming it's as easy as looking to see if the shifter shifts into the front gears (1st, 3rd, 5th) without bumping into the body and/or plastic console.

I'll post my results so that, if needed, I can beg for more help.

Last edited by VanBCguy; 12-09-2009 at 10:14 AM..
Unread 12-02-2009, 07:10 PM   #12
VanBCguy
Web Wheeler

1999 WJ 

Thanks to all that have made posts with solutions/ideas. I took the boot off today and found that the plastic attachment at the bottom of the shift lever was hitting the front of the centre console. Quite obviously, my build had changed the height of tranny and shifter and moved it forward a bit.

I took it to my tranny shop and they Dremel'd it so that it "fits" and shifts with clearance. Charge? $0.00

Yet another fine example of JF members saving me tons of headaches and money.

Thanks guys! You all rock.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.