4.3L engine swap motor mounts. Pics requested - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > 4.3L engine swap motor mounts. Pics requested

The NEW Revolution Gear and Axle from 4LowParts.comTHE NEW! VANCO DUAL MODE 15/16″ Big Brake Kit w/BlaEngo winches available at www.rockridge4wd.com! Free shipp

Unread 01-05-2009, 03:36 PM   #1
mcgann454
1993 YJ Wrangler 

4.3L engine swap motor mounts. Pics requested

I am trying to place the motor on my 97 TJ frame. The best position I can come up with that gets my shaft angles and room for an electric fan is right under the steering pillow block. I would have to modify the block. Any farther forward and I believe the engine would be too high and I am right up against the bracket that supports the upper control arm. I also want to place it so that when my kid gives it back I can put a 350 in. I'm told it is the same mount. The donor drive train is out of a 2000 S-10 Blazer(4L60E tranny). Can anyone supply some pics of their motor mount for a 4.3L or a 350? I would take measurements if anyone could supply those as well.
Thanks,

33" BFG's

97 TJ Full Restore
3" Suspension Lift
1" body lift
33" BFG's

97 TJ Engine swap
2000 4.3L Vortec
4L60E
231c with Slip Yoke
2.5" suspension lift
1.5" body Lift
Still got to paint

Last edited by mcgann454; 01-05-2009 at 04:10 PM..
mcgann454 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-05-2009, 04:37 PM   #2
XXRider
2003 TJ Wrangler 

I don't have pics, but I think you maybe better off looking for pics of the 350 mounts if you want to run a 350 in the future. If I'm not mistaken the 4.3L is a 350 with 2 cyl taken off. If you mount it in the best place for the 4.3 you might run into clearance issues when you upgrade.
XXRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-05-2009, 05:05 PM   #3
mcgann454
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by XXRider View Post
I don't have pics, but I think you maybe better off looking for pics of the 350 mounts if you want to run a 350 in the future. If I'm not mistaken the 4.3L is a 350 with 2 cyl taken off. If you mount it in the best place for the 4.3 you might run into clearance issues when you upgrade.
My understanding was that they were the same for both, but that is what I wanted to confirm.
Thanks,
33" BFG's

97 TJ Full Restore
3" Suspension Lift
1" body lift
33" BFG's

97 TJ Engine swap
2000 4.3L Vortec
4L60E
231c with Slip Yoke
2.5" suspension lift
1.5" body Lift
Still got to paint
Unread 01-06-2009, 04:32 AM   #4
mcgann454
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Anyone have any ideas??
33" BFG's

97 TJ Full Restore
3" Suspension Lift
1" body lift
33" BFG's

97 TJ Engine swap
2000 4.3L Vortec
4L60E
231c with Slip Yoke
2.5" suspension lift
1.5" body Lift
Still got to paint
Unread 01-15-2009, 07:39 PM   #5
e-tek
1998 TJ Wrangler 

thats exactly where i put mine. i had to change the steering a little bit but that gave me plenty of room for a mech fan and also i could get to the bell housing with ease. i will try to get around to taking some pics but it sounds like your thinking exactly what i was thinking. what mounts are you using?

4.3l v6
e-tek is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-15-2009, 09:59 PM   #6
mcgann454
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Yea, the placement seemed to give a lot of room both in front for the fan and still be able to reach the tranny bolts. I got talked into $79 mounts(Trans Adapt), but I just bought a welder so I am going to beef them up(after I rewire the garage to run the welder and the compressor). Seems I am spending more time and money getting ready to work on the jeep and not enough actually working on it, but I'm having fun at that as well. It's -13 degrees tonight before wind chill and will be cold the rest of the week, so I'm not sure how much I'll get done. Using a salamander right now, but just looked at plumbing the natural gas to the garage and mounting a forced air unit. Hope I have money left over for the project. LOL

What did you do to the steering to get it to work? I think I can weld gussets and keep it strong enough, but I am always open to ideas.
33" BFG's

97 TJ Full Restore
3" Suspension Lift
1" body lift
33" BFG's

97 TJ Engine swap
2000 4.3L Vortec
4L60E
231c with Slip Yoke
2.5" suspension lift
1.5" body Lift
Still got to paint
Unread 01-16-2009, 09:39 AM   #7
e-tek
1998 TJ Wrangler 

well i tried to draw you a pic in paint bu it just looked stupid. so the pillow block bolted to the motor mount right?

i took the pillow block itself. (round rubber piece)
and took the housing off and reversed it. the then fabbed up a piece that bolted the the motor mount on the inside of the frame and bolted to the fame on the outside. most of the stress on the steering is at the gear box and tires as long as its not jumpin around you should be fine with power steering
what kind of welder did you get? i got a linclon 180 c for christmas and is so sick lol just wired my garage for 220 and am in the process of installing an a/c heater unit out there. are you welding your mounts in yourself?

just built a bumper for my jeep too good luck on the build and if you have any questions you will have better luck pm me

spencer

4.3l v6
e-tek is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-16-2009, 05:38 PM   #8
mcgann454
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by e-tek View Post
well i tried to draw you a pic in paint bu it just looked stupid. so the pillow block bolted to the motor mount right?

i took the pillow block itself. (round rubber piece)
and took the housing off and reversed it. the then fabbed up a piece that bolted the the motor mount on the inside of the frame and bolted to the fame on the outside. most of the stress on the steering is at the gear box and tires as long as its not jumpin around you should be fine with power steering
what kind of welder did you get? i got a linclon 180 c for christmas and is so sick lol just wired my garage for 220 and am in the process of installing an a/c heater unit out there. are you welding your mounts in yourself?

just built a bumper for my jeep too good luck on the build and if you have any questions you will have better luck pm me

spencer
Got a Hobart(Miller) 135. It is only a 110 welder, but I am so a newbie at welding, it should be fine for me for quite a while. I am going to weld in the mounts, but I need some practice first. Thanks for the input. I'll see if I can PM you some pics.
Thanks,

Mike
33" BFG's

97 TJ Full Restore
3" Suspension Lift
1" body lift
33" BFG's

97 TJ Engine swap
2000 4.3L Vortec
4L60E
231c with Slip Yoke
2.5" suspension lift
1.5" body Lift
Still got to paint

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.