Is a 4:1 good for normal 4 wheeling? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Is a 4:1 good for normal 4 wheeling?

Ruffstuff Axle Simple Swap Kit!ROCK BOTTOM prices on LIFT KITS at Rockridge4wd!! WANT TO Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 10-22-2007, 08:10 PM   #1
Grim Jeeper
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Is a 4:1 good for normal 4 wheeling?

So I have had a 4:1 Tera Low sitting on my garage floor for a few months now. I'm debating whether I need it or not because I don't do much if any rock crawling.

My question: Is there a benefit to the 4:1 for regular off roading where momentum and some occasional wheel speed is helpful?

Right now while wheeling I cruise around in 4-Low in 2nd or 3rd gear which seems to be perfect in that if I suddenly need more gear 1st or 2nd is right there.

I wondering with the 4:1 if I will be restricted to 4-High for cruising around and then have to go into low for the tuff stuff.

Is it that much lower in terms of gearing?

Grim Jeeper is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-22-2007, 08:17 PM   #2
zman
1995 YJ Wrangler 

It is alot lower gearing. Based on what you said you will not like the 4:1. It really is for rock crawling.

zman
Unread 10-22-2007, 08:29 PM   #3
themaniam1
2006 LJ Wrangler 

I both of my Jeeps have 4:1 in them. I love it because I do a ton of rock crawling. If you do not need it to let yourself over a shelf slowly with out using brakes or are crawling up steep or near verticle obstales then stay with what you have and sell it and put the $ toward your next upgrade

You are right about cruising in 4 low with a 4:1, I am in 4th and 5th and then can only do about 30mph max. I have to stop and shift into 4 high or 2wd to really drive any where. It is a pain when the obstacles are far apart and the road is easy.
Unread 10-22-2007, 09:47 PM   #4
McLovin
2000 TJ Wrangler 

If your not rock crawling you don't need a 4:1 kit. It would likely do more harm then good.
McLovin is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-22-2007, 10:02 PM   #5
Unlimited04
This post/info=my opinion

2004 LJ Wrangler 

i'll take the 4:1 kit, you dont need it
Unlimited04 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-22-2007, 10:19 PM   #6
Dogman
1997 TJ Wrangler 

You'll hate it...sell it to me for cheap

really though, I seem to remember doing the math and the 4:1 in 2nd gear was about the same as the 2.72:1 in 1st gear.
Unread 10-22-2007, 10:23 PM   #7
aussie stu
1998 TJ Wrangler 

donate it to you less fortunate overseas jeepers......like me for example.
[SIZE="1"][B]Black[/B] 98 TJ / 4.5" Coils / 1" BL + MML / 4.56 / 35's Silverstones MT-117 on 16 X 8's / D44 & ARB Airlocker / D30 & lockright / Rocklights / wind sheild IPF's / Custom WARN rear tyre carrier / extended brake lines / Custom Triangulated 4 link long arm / Front adj. panard (no rear) / rear storage draw system / OBA / AA SYE / Bestop duster, windjammer, bikini combo / Bushwackers flares / UHF / TBS / Wilderness Rack / 3" stainless steel snorkel / T-Max 9000 6HP winch[/SIZE]
aussie stu is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-22-2007, 10:27 PM   #8
Grewe02
Guns > Swords

1980 CJ5 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grim Jeeper
So I have had a 4:1 Tera Low sitting on my garage floor for a few months now. I'm debating whether I need it or not because I don't do much if any rock crawling.

My question: Is there a benefit to the 4:1 for regular off roading where momentum and some occasional wheel speed is helpful?

Right now while wheeling I cruise around in 4-Low in 2nd or 3rd gear which seems to be perfect in that if I suddenly need more gear 1st or 2nd is right there.

I wondering with the 4:1 if I will be restricted to 4-High for cruising around and then have to go into low for the tuff stuff.

If you wheel rocks, install it. If you wheel mud, don't. Mud requires more wheel speed than it does torque. If you're just doing some light trail riding, they I again would keep the stock gearing. The 231 has proven itself to be quite useful in it's stock form.

And if you are serious about selling, let me know. I would absolutely love to take it off your hands. It is one of the next few items on my to buy list.
I've had a crush on the Prius since it's debut. I got somethin' wrong upstairs.
Grewe02 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-22-2007, 10:31 PM   #9
JeepinYahoo
1977 CJ5 

Oh man, a 4:1 would be great for the wheeling I consider normal...but not mud.
Unread 10-22-2007, 11:00 PM   #10
kd4yor
1997 TJ Wrangler 

I have 3:1 and 5:1 in my box. There are advantages to both. the 3:1 (near stock) is great for just riding. With the 5:1 It's great for highly technical crawling.
2nd gear in the 5:1 is almost the same as 1st in 3:1. I can ride trails in 5:1, but I'm in 4-5th most of the time.
Unread 10-22-2007, 11:30 PM   #11
Grim Jeeper
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Well I may end up selling it for some axle upgrades. For all those interested, especially those back east, you should know that out in Santa Cruz, Ca. Pretty far!

Basically, I haven't determined exactly what I like to do yet. We have a local 4wd park (Hollister Hills) nearby and I like cruising around there and have fun on some of the more difficult trails, but nothing extreme.

I know I'd like to do the Rubicon for the experience, but I do not have climb every obstacle to be happy. I do not see myself doing a lot of rock crawling, just does not interest me. I don't like the idea of possbily of breaking parts and I don't have the budget (wife) that would allow for it.

Trail riding, light rock work, little bit of mud...not intersted in trimming my fenders, flat fender kits, 38 inch tires, 10 inch long arm lifts, or rockwell axles.

I like the 4-wheeling that was common in the late 70's thru the 80's. Beer, bar-b-cue, camp fire...I don't want to be wrenching on my Jeep at 1 in the morning.

I may have jumped the gun buying the 4:1, but I can always sell it.
Grim Jeeper is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-23-2007, 01:06 AM   #12
jocww

yes u can to me in about a yr im only an hr from u

Bay Area wheelers click this link
http://z6.invisionfree.com/Wheelers_...&#entry1565069

TvisXJ Did he just pull a Woo Wong? Chevelle Yea... he just pulled a Woo Wong
Quote:
Originally Posted by XJIceQueen98
Real women don't drive hummers... they give them
jocww is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-23-2007, 09:20 AM   #13
Chris_
2002 TJ Wrangler 

I really wish I had a 4:1. I think it makes more of a difference in automatics, than it does in a standard. My gearing is perfect for normal driving, for 4wd uphill climbs, and I really do have an infinite crawl ratio, but downhill, I'm on the brakes the whole time. I do a lot of riding the brakes now.

A Teralow is definitely on the to do list.
Unread 10-23-2007, 09:32 AM   #14
KennyTJ
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grim Jeeper

If you want to sell that I call Dibbs! PM me if you are not going to use the 4:1 and we can discuss!!!!
Unread 10-23-2007, 10:12 AM   #15
Scottfloors
Lets All Go Hunting!

1999 TJ Wrangler 

My 99 is a DD and I have teh 4:1 in it. no problems. When on the trail I love the 4:1 I just put around in 3Rd. or 4Th gear. but when I need it I just drop it into 1St. or 2ND. and Up Up and away we go!!
Scottfloors is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.