4.0 swap questions - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > 4.0 swap questions

50% Off Sale at KrawlOff-Road.comWarn, Smitybilt, Engo, Rugged Ridge Winches at CCORBilstein Shock Upgrade Kits, Jeep JK TJ XJ Wranglers and C

Unread 02-01-2013, 08:05 AM   #1
TheMayo
1997 TJ Wrangler 

4.0 swap questions

All of this information is listed somewhere im sure........ I have been googling different things to try and get some answers but its all very scattered and pieced together information i would rather just have mine answered directly if possible...

I have a TJ with a 2.5 manual trans. I want to do the whole 4.0 swap (please dont recommend a v8 lol) i found a 91 cherokee 4x4 with a 5 speed 4.0... Would i be able to use the motor/tranny/transfer case from this vehicle WITHOUT manipulating any brackets or whatnot? and when changing the transmission do i need the driveshafts frim the 4.0 as well or will my same driveshafts work?

Also would i be able to use the wire harness computer from the cherokee?

Thanks guys, i know it might have been 'cheaper' to have just bought a TJ with a 4.0 but i got my TJ for a steal

TheMayo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-01-2013, 08:19 AM   #2
inkryptic
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Most people will tell you that if a 4.0 is really what you want, sell the 2.5 and buy a 4.0. It'll be cheaper and easier. For the expense of the engine swap, you might as well just get the V8. You can get a less popular or powerful one with lots of community support and the cost involved for the swap, while more than the 4.0, is not as difficult to swallow.

The 97 used the same ax-5 five speed as the 91 Cherokee, and I think the same NP231 xfer case, too. The spline count is probably different so you will need to get that case from the 91.

Do some searches. There is a lot of info out there. Some additional things you will need:
- Computer
- Wiring harness
- Radiator/fan
- Motor mounts (they are in a different position, so the old ones will need to be removed, frame groudn smooth and painted, new ones welded on, etc.
- Exhaust (downpipes are different, probably need cat-forward at least.
- new gearing

When you start realizing that you have to source and buy all of these same exact things for a v8 swap, you realize why people say what they do.
inkryptic is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-01-2013, 08:27 AM   #3
TheMayo
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Not saying v8 requires more money or effort, i just want the 4.0... I know i will need the computer and wire harness, my question was can i use the computer and wire harness from the cherokee?

Exhaust? thats fine the current exhaust on the car is obnoxious.
I want to go aluminum radiator/electric fan also so that covers that.
Motor Mounts i would like to hear more about? from every 4.0 swap thread i have seen none mention motor mounts
Unread 02-01-2013, 10:33 AM   #4
DirtRider1357
2005 LJ Wrangler 

not saying to do the v8 swap. but with my old yj i swapped from a 4.2 to a 4.0 and still regret not going v8. cost would have been the same.
DirtRider1357 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-01-2013, 11:04 AM   #5
joe108
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Anything is possible given enough time money and effort, but as stated above, much cheaper and much easier to just sell the 4cyl jeep and buy one with a 4.0
joe108 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-01-2013, 11:06 AM   #6
SightlierDuke23
1996 XJ Cherokee 

Not saying that a v-8 swap wouldn't be the way to go, but some people have reasons for why they are choosing certain swaps/replacements. I'm not sure what the laws are in Florida,but, different states have different laws, for example, if you live in a state that has strict emission regulations that require inspections every year you are limited to certain things. If the OP lived in north carolina where i live his Engine would have to be same year or newer being that it is a 97, which is required to be hooked up to the states database and tells evertyhing about your vehicle, so switching to a v8 is like switching your head with your neighbors. Not saying it can't be done,but the hoops you would have to jump through would be rediculous. I'm not sure if that is why the op wanted a 4.0 or not, but i would agree with INKRYPTIC, sell it and buy a jeep with a 4.0
SightlierDuke23 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-03-2013, 02:26 PM   #7
TheMayo
1997 TJ Wrangler 

i live in florida, i have done several motor swaps to my previous mustang and a good friend of mine can do anything so im sure the both of us can get it done with a $0 labor cost, local junk yards have crashed cherokees with intact 4.0s with 5spd tranny and transfer case available for around 500 bucks. so unless i can find a v8 that everyone speaks of with a tranny and transfer case for around $500 bucks i dont see it being the same price range...

im looking forward to doing this swap and i plan to do it over the next month or 2.. im pretty closed minded to any other options like selling for another or going v8, i really just want to know what i can and cant use from the cherokee 4x4 for this swap.

biggest issue raised is news to me, would i need to simply buy '97 wrangler mounts? or do i have to have something welded?
would i be able to use the cherokee computer and wire harness without modification? or do i have to get that from a '97 wrangler?
also would i be able to use the driveshafts on the car? if not do i need '97 wrangler driveshafts or can i get them from the cherokee as well?

^if i can have the answers to these questions i will have the swap done with no surprises for a very reasonable price.
Unread 02-03-2013, 04:22 PM   #8
sduncan

1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMayo View Post
i live in florida, i have done several motor swaps to my previous mustang and a good friend of mine can do anything so im sure the both of us can get it done with a $0 labor cost, local junk yards have crashed cherokees with intact 4.0s with 5spd tranny and transfer case available for around 500 bucks. so unless i can find a v8 that everyone speaks of with a tranny and transfer case for around $500 bucks i dont see it being the same price range...

im looking forward to doing this swap and i plan to do it over the next month or 2.. im pretty closed minded to any other options like selling for another or going v8, i really just want to know what i can and cant use from the cherokee 4x4 for this swap.

biggest issue raised is news to me, would i need to simply buy '97 wrangler mounts? or do i have to have something welded?
You will have to remove the 4cyl mounts and weld on new mounts.
would i be able to use the cherokee computer and wire harness without modification? or do i have to get that from a '97 wrangler?
If you try to use the XJ harness you will need to mod it. They are not the same.
also would i be able to use the driveshafts on the car? if not do i need '97 wrangler driveshafts or can i get them from the cherokee as well?
If your rig is stock then you MAY get away with this...I wouldn't bet the farm on it though..

^if i can have the answers to these questions i will have the swap done with no surprises for a very reasonable price.
Good Luck
'98 TJ, 5.7 HEMI, 545RFE, G2 33 spl. D44, HP D30,ARBs,4.10s, RE 4.5 LA,Savvy 1.25 BL,35in MTRs w/Pro Comp 15x10 alloys, Warn 9.5 cti w/Amsteel rope, Gen Rite G3 Alumium front fenders and rear flares, Premier Power welder 195 amp,Savvy Rockers,Prothane bumps,LED tail lites, Rampage top
Link to my Hemi build thread http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f9/so...rsion-1277803/
YouTube video..http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iaDRq...&feature=g-upl
sduncan is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-03-2013, 09:51 PM   #9
TheMayo
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by sduncan View Post
Good Luck
thank you sir.

The jeep has a 6 inch lift (if that matters) and a ford 8.8 rear end.

the only v8 swap that sits in the back of my mind is a ford 351, found motor, tranny and transfer case on craigslist for a grand and it keeps popping into my head, but im really looking forward to an i6 swap
Unread 02-06-2013, 04:21 PM   #10
inkryptic
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Not sure what your emissions laws are but keep in mind that if you put a new ODBII computer in, the VIN that is pulled by the emissions guys will say it's a cherokee or whatever the donor was.

Also not sure of your inspection laws, but some states say you must get an engine the same year or newer than the one you are replacing. If that's the case by you, just make sure they aren't very thorough on that... they'll look the same to the naked eye.

No Surprises? You ARE optimistic!
inkryptic is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-06-2013, 08:06 PM   #11
TheMayo
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by inkryptic View Post
Not sure what your emissions laws are but keep in mind that if you put a new ODBII computer in, the VIN that is pulled by the emissions guys will say it's a cherokee or whatever the donor was.

Also not sure of your inspection laws, but some states say you must get an engine the same year or newer than the one you are replacing. If that's the case by you, just make sure they aren't very thorough on that... they'll look the same to the naked eye.

No Surprises? You ARE optimistic!
lol yeah i havent heard of any of those things, i have lived in florida my whole life. those emissions things sounds ridiculous im sorry for the people that have to go through all of that!

and thanks, im very optomistic. the motor mounts shouldnt be a problem because my neighbor welds. my donor car will probably be a 91 cherokee 4x4, still not sure if the wire harness from that car will work with a 97 computer?
Unread Today, 08:49 AM   #12
TJolt

Anyone know if I swap a Cherokee motor of same year or newer into my 2001 TJ Wrangler if it would be a direct swap or would I need to do some mods
TJolt is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread Today, 08:58 AM   #13
biffgnar
Web Wheeler

2006 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by TJolt View Post
Anyone know if I swap a Cherokee motor of same year or newer into my 2001 TJ Wrangler if it would be a direct swap or would I need to do some mods
An XJ? Well, 2001 was the last year of XJs so I guess that gives you 1 year to look at. I believe it can be done (with enough work almost anything can be), but its not simple. For example, which transmission do you have? Would you swap over the XJ transmission? Would you be able to get the full XJ PCM and harness? Would you be able to get all the accessories also (as I believe they mount differently in an XJ)?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.