4.0 seeping oil on passenger side head gasket - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > 4.0 seeping oil on passenger side head gasket

USA Standard Chromoly Front Axle Shaft Kits with Dana 30 4Eliminate Hood Flutter!!!Offset Tie Rod Kit From RuffStuff!

Unread 09-29-2013, 06:20 PM   #1
bkohler2005
2005 LJ Wrangler 

4.0 seeping oil on passenger side head gasket

Do these 4.0 just plain and simply leak? This is a reman engine with 12k on it. I have very small amount of oil seeping from the passenger side of the head gasket where it meets the block. Its not much but is blown/ runs back and down the back side of the block and creats a drip on the bottom of the flywheel cover. It does not drip unless it sits for a week or so and then its a single drop. Is anyone else having this issue, is it normal.... because its driving me nuts.

bkohler2005 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-29-2013, 06:41 PM   #2
2003RubiBlue
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Are you sure its not the valve cover. The head gasket should not leak at all.
"That's awesome advice. Anytime I have a difficult repair, I fix something else that's much easier to get to. This one time, there was a hole in the oil pan so I replaced the side mirror on the driver's door."
Wanted: Tuffy rear underseat drawer. PM me if you have one.
2003RubiBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-29-2013, 07:06 PM   #3
bkohler2005
2005 LJ Wrangler 

yes, its not the valve cover. Dry as a bone all the way around.
Unread 09-29-2013, 07:44 PM   #4
2003RubiBlue
2003 TJ Wrangler 

I've never run into one that was leaking oil externally on the head gasket. No oil in the coolant, coolant in the oil I would run it until it gets worse, but that is not normal. Any warranty on the reman.
"That's awesome advice. Anytime I have a difficult repair, I fix something else that's much easier to get to. This one time, there was a hole in the oil pan so I replaced the side mirror on the driver's door."
Wanted: Tuffy rear underseat drawer. PM me if you have one.
2003RubiBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-29-2013, 08:37 PM   #5
bkohler2005
2005 LJ Wrangler 

yea, no mixing of fluids. Its a Napa auto parts reman engine. I think they will warranty the gasket but the labor? I would just do the job myself, but just one more thing to have to find time for. Was not impressed with the shop that put the engine in. I hate oil leaks!
Unread 09-30-2013, 03:20 AM   #6
Necko2529
Surfing JF Since '04

2003 TJ Wrangler 

What would make a 4.0 just plain leak? Im pretty sure DC hasn't engineered leaks of any kind in the 4.0 from the factory so i would say no, the leak is not something that's normal.

Anybody can take advice if it doesn't interfere with their plan.

RIP "Prescott 19" Prescott Fire Department
Necko2529 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-30-2013, 05:24 AM   #7
bobjp

It's not normal, and I would be worried about it. If it can leak there, then it can eventually start leaking into the coolant the the cylinders. I wonder if there's a flatness issue with the head or block?
Unread 09-30-2013, 03:19 PM   #8
TravisHeim
2000 TJ Wrangler 

I don't really see how it could be leaking oil in that location and not have some serious combustion/cooling issues. Not much going on in that part of the block, its just a passageway for the push rods and oil to return from the head. Have you considered having a dye test done?
TravisHeim is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-01-2013, 08:04 AM   #9
bkohler2005
2005 LJ Wrangler 

I am taking it to the shop that put the engine in it this saturday. We will see what they say. Kinda between a rock and a hard place, the engine is still under warranty but I was not too impressed with the work the shop did putting in the engine. If I do the work myself, I void the warranty....
Unread 10-01-2013, 08:19 AM   #10
Necko2529
Surfing JF Since '04

2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by bkohler2005 View Post
I am taking it to the shop that put the engine in it this saturday. We will see what they say. Kinda between a rock and a hard place, the engine is still under warranty but I was not too impressed with the work the shop did putting in the engine. If I do the work myself, I void the warranty....
In this case, keep taking it back until they work all the bugs out...

Anybody can take advice if it doesn't interfere with their plan.

RIP "Prescott 19" Prescott Fire Department
Necko2529 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-02-2014, 09:21 PM   #11
bkohler2005
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Figured it out, after pulling the head myself. I found that when the block was machined for remanufacturing the engine, they left some grooves in the top of the block on the right side. The oil has been seeping thru, running back and down the rear of the engine. I buffed them smooth and had the head flattened by a machine shop. Then went back together with it. That was 500 miles ago. No more oil leaks.
Unread 01-03-2014, 08:34 AM   #12
Vinman
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Why did you feel the need to have the head machined when the grooves were in the block?
Vinman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-04-2014, 11:04 AM   #13
bkohler2005
2005 LJ Wrangler 

To make sure it was a flat surface to reseal. Which it was not. Each end was higher than the center. I even untightened it in the correct sequence. The inline six cylinder engines head is longer and easier to warp when removing, I didn't want any excuse for it to leak later and say well I should have done...... Fix it right the first time and there won't be a second time.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.