4.0 Oil Pan Removal - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > 4.0 Oil Pan Removal

Grizzly Lockers available at Rockridge4wd.comThe ULTIMATE "Selectable" Locker System! BroughYukon Ultimate 35 axle kit for c/clip axles with Yukon Zip

Unread 10-05-2009, 12:31 PM   #1
MikeRi24
2003 TJ Wrangler 

4.0 Oil Pan Removal

I need to replace my oil pan on my '03. A friend of mine who is a mechanic said after looking it up in a chilton's manual, the motor mounts need to be disconnected and the motor lifted up a few inches to allow for the right clearance. I looked under the thing, and I really don't see how theres not enough room if you take the exhaust off. If need be, could I drop the front axle a little bit to make room? that would be a LOT easier for me to do than jack the whole motor up.

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/my-2003-tj-685257/

"My Jeep helped win a war....You're Honda just mowed my lawn"
MikeRi24 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-05-2009, 12:44 PM   #2
mdm
Farm Wheeler
2000 TJ Wrangler 

The FSM says to lift the engine. All you are doing is getting enough clearance to be able to remove the pan. You could do it by lifting the engine or dropping the axle.
Unread 10-05-2009, 01:35 PM   #3
Savvy
Vendor

2014 JK Wrangler 

It is easier to just undo the four exhaust bolt from the mainifold and then you can get to all of the bolts. Remember to keep the bolts in the proper sequence as there are a few different type.

Email me for the fastest response: gman@savvyoffroad.com

Like us on Facebook FACEBOOK.COM/SAVVYOFFROAD

The ONLY place to get Savvy/Currie Lifts and parts! The best price and support!

Now with Lifetime Guarantee Lifetime Guarantee - See Here

http://www.savvyoffroad.com

Unlimited Black Hole - The Ultimate LJ

Savvy Spartan 2004 LJ

2014 JKU Test Mule

2003 TJ Project Unrolled
2003 TJ Project Click Here
Savvy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-05-2009, 01:35 PM   #4
MikeRi24
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Yeah, I put my budget boost in and I have the feeling by disconnecting the sway bar and the shocks, I could drop the axle down at least a few inches to get to it. I was planning on disconnecting the exhaust at the downpipe and then sawzall-ing it off somewhere near the transmission skidplate and then just welding it back together after so its totally out of the way.
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/my-2003-tj-685257/

"My Jeep helped win a war....You're Honda just mowed my lawn"
MikeRi24 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-05-2009, 01:39 PM   #5
RYANSTULC
1998 TJ Wrangler 

No need to loosen motor mounts, or remove the axle.
As stated above, simply remove the exhaust @ the bottom of the collector, and remove the pan.
It's usually a two-person job two slightly pry back the exhaust while the other person carefully
drops the pan.
Super simple. I've done it a number of times on my '98
And definitely keep track of which bolts go where. There's a number of smaller bolts, and (4) slightly bigger ones. Some of the smaller bolts have a longer shaft that is used to connect the transmission cooler lines.
Once you see it, it'll make sense.
RYANSTULC is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-05-2009, 02:00 PM   #6
Srgslaughterav

2005 TJ Wrangler 

Just a tip. You may allready do this. For those of you that don't... I get a peice of cardbord. Mark front on one side. As you take a bolt out punch it through the cardboard in its corisponding location to the oil pan. I found that if I get side tracked during the project or have to let it sit overnight. I have a hard time remembering where the bolts go. So this way I don't have to try to remember. Just a little tip to help out.
4" short arm lift, Anti rock sway bars front and rear. hard rock Front and rear bumbers, Warn 9.5ti winch,Undercover fab engine and tc skid,genright extreme gas tank, AtoZ Fabrication rocker guards, metal cloak fenders all around,JKS bar pin elminators, Viair Extreme Duty OBA system, Cobra CB, 37'' iroks on trailready beadlocks , NP231 Novak shifter tera low 4:1 with 2 low kit and SYE , CV ds, rockjock 3 front and rear dana60's with front and rear ARB with 4:88's.PSC hydro assist
Srgslaughterav is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-05-2009, 02:04 PM   #7
Mttrek360
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Srgslaughterav View Post
Just a tip. You may allready do this. For those of you that don't... I get a peice of cardbord. Mark front on one side. As you take a bolt out punch it through the cardboard in its corisponding location to the oil pan. I found that if I get side tracked during the project or have to let it sit overnight. I have a hard time remembering where the bolts go. So this way I don't have to try to remember. Just a little tip to help out.
Thats what I do
Unread 10-05-2009, 03:09 PM   #8
GOLENJEEPTJ
Running Secretly Amok!

2002 TJ Wrangler 

Drop the downpipe, 4 bolts at collectors by manifold and 3 before cat.Take note of the orientation of the oil pan bolts.Easy job for 1 man.
GOLENJEEPTJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-05-2009, 10:35 PM   #9
RYANSTULC
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by GOLENJEEPTJ View Post
Drop the downpipe, 4 bolts at collectors by manifold and 3 before cat.Take note of the orientation of the oil pan bolts.Easy job for 1 man.
This can be a challenge is you have a RELA kit.
I've only been able to remove the exhaust from the collector, and that's it.
Little bit of strong-arm'n the exhaust and the pan will pop out.
RYANSTULC is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-06-2009, 06:24 AM   #10
F9K9
Semper Fi!

2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by provelogear View Post
.........Remember to keep the bolts in the proper sequence as there are a few different type.
+1 and a PITA!

'03 Rubicon w/a few changes.
F9K9 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-26-2009, 11:52 AM   #11
jpconard

To re-visit this question. I hit mine on a rock this weekend near the drain bolt, creased the metal near drain bolt and twisted it some. Not real deep dent, but something I want to replace in near future.

For a stock vehicle, removing the exhaust and possibly jacking up body (but leaving motor mounts alone), should give enough clearance between pan and front axle, correct?

What else needs to be removed back by the bell housing (manual transmission)?

I plan on replacing pan and getting the terraflex HD skid (similar to the Nth degree) - mounts to bell housing and up front to sides of motor.
jpconard is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-26-2009, 11:56 AM   #12
GOLENJEEPTJ
Running Secretly Amok!

2002 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by RYANSTULC View Post
This can be a challenge is you have a RELA kit.
I've only been able to remove the exhaust from the collector, and that's it.
Little bit of strong-arm'n the exhaust and the pan will pop out.
I do have a LA and it's not a challenge?Just drop the down pipe and get it out of the way?
GOLENJEEPTJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-26-2009, 05:21 PM   #13
bosoxfan455
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpconard View Post
To re-visit this question. I hit mine on a rock this weekend near the drain bolt, creased the metal near drain bolt and twisted it some. Not real deep dent, but something I want to replace in near future.

For a stock vehicle, removing the exhaust and possibly jacking up body (but leaving motor mounts alone), should give enough clearance between pan and front axle, correct?

What else needs to be removed back by the bell housing (manual transmission)?

I plan on replacing pan and getting the terraflex HD skid (similar to the Nth degree) - mounts to bell housing and up front to sides of motor.
i had the same thing happen, i put my jackstands next to the lca mount on the frame and took the front wheels off. the axle was at full droop and i just unbolted the exhaust at the collector. although on mine i had to disconnect the bracket on the transfer case to move the exhaust enough.

i went with the aev/nth skid and no complaints except the hardware wasnt included with my initial purchase from quadratec. a quick phone call to qtec's customer service and a hardware kit was on its way

one final bit of advice is maybe plan on doing a oil pump too, the pickup may have bent but you wont really know til you get in there
bosoxfan455 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-26-2009, 05:52 PM   #14
marylandjeeper
1998 TJ Wrangler 

when i did mine i put jackstands on the frame and let the axle droop all the way down, unbolted the downpipe from the manifold and got the old pan off. it took a good bit of pulling on the exhaust to get it out, and it came out just barely. i couldn't see how i would get the new one in place without messing up the gasket and rtv. i ended up cutting the exhaust right by the t/c skid and the new one went on much easier without the downpipe in the way. my oil pump was fine, and i did a new rear main seal while i was in there, not because it was leaking but because i was going through all the trouble of replacing the pan anyways. i also got a pan from napa and was disappointed by the quality, and a mopar pan was only $40 more and was much nicer.
Quote:
Originally Posted by IKate
It's not "made BY chinese" that's the issue, it's "Made in China" that's the problem - now you behave yourself.
marylandjeeper is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-27-2009, 08:09 PM   #15
TJRUSSELL
2005 TJ Wrangler 

i thought you were selling it mike?
TJRUSSELL is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.