4.0 Inline 6: Installing New Head, Push Rod Problems - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > 4.0 Inline 6: Installing New Head, Push Rod Problems

August special - FREE XJ Unibody stiffeners when you buy a~Artec JK 1 TON SWAP~Dan's Old as Dirt Birthday Sale!

Unread 11-26-2009, 07:12 PM   #1
patsfanjan98
2002 TJ Wrangler 

4.0 Inline 6: Installing New Head, Push Rod Problems

Vehicle: 2002 TJ 4.0 Liter Inline 6.

Long story short I had a rebuild done. Through that I received a new camshaft, timing belt, pistons, and gasket kit. After I got the engine back and installed I was trouble shooting problems. I found coolant in my oil and found that the Head was cracked. We were also able to tell that the number two piston wasn't firing properly.

I got a new head and ran into a few issues in the installation.

1. If you are looking at the side of the Head from the Spark Plug side (opposite the exhaust side) the right Push Rod for cylinder 5 and the left push Rod for cylinder 4 are sitting slightly higher than their counterparts. That causes a problem when trying to install the Rocker Arms. Any thoughts as to why that is?

2. Cylinder two which is where I discovered a lot of my problems. (1. A puddle of coolant at the top of the cylinder when we took the original head off. 2. The spark plug was covered in soot) After installing the Rocker Arm, I am able to physically push the rocker arm (thus pushing the Push Rod) down. I can't do that to any other Push Rod, so i assume the Hydraulic Lifter has gone bad. Thoughts?

I have searched this sight for discussions on how to replace the Hydraulic Lifters and I have found nothing really detailed. My Haynes manual and "All Data" are not very detailed either. They simply say to "remove them".

How?

What am I looking for in an inspection?

Am i barking up the wrong tree?

patsfanjan98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-26-2009, 09:21 PM   #2
wushaw
Rockin jeep

2000 TJ Wrangler 

The cam lobes are up pushing up on the lifters causing the rods to be higher on cylinder #5.
The lifters either do not have oil in them on #2 cyl or they are bad.
I can't remark on the lifter replacement since I haven't done one on a 4.0, if the holes in the head are large enough then you can get a little tool that will reach down and grab the inside lip and you can pull em up.
wushaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-27-2009, 08:28 AM   #3
patsfanjan98
2002 TJ Wrangler 

Thanks for the reply.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wushaw View Post
The cam lobes are up pushing up on the lifters causing the rods to be higher on cylinder #5.
Just to clarify, currently cylinder #5 has (2) push rods. One push rod is about an eighth of an inch higher than the other. On cylinder #4 the same problem. Cylinder #6, 3, 2, 1 the push rods are at the same height and thus the rocker arms go on correctly. Wouldn't the lobes be at the same height on the same cylinder and not have at least an eighth of an inch difference?

Quote:
The lifters either do not have oil in them on #2 cyl or they are bad.
There currently isn't oil in the block sense I have drained it all out. Does the lifter maintain its own oil or would you agree that the lifter is bad?

Quote:
I can't remark on the lifter replacement since I haven't done one on a 4.0, if the holes in the head are large enough then you can get a little tool that will reach down and grab the inside lip and you can pull em up.
I finally found a thread talking about a Cherokee, and you seem to have it right here. The holes are big enough and they seem to be simply sitting in little cradles if you will. I should be able to get a tool like you mentioned or a magnetic tool and get them out.
Unread 11-27-2009, 11:08 AM   #4
patsfanjan98
2002 TJ Wrangler 

I finally processed what you said about the lobes. I turned the crank and they aligned back up. Thanks for the tip. I also now believe that the #2 cylinder simply doesn't have oil in it as you said. I'm going to fill it up and see if that doesn't "firm" it up. Thanks for the info and furthering my education process.
Unread 11-27-2009, 01:02 PM   #5
patsfanjan98
2002 TJ Wrangler 

So I finally got a hold of my mechanic that rebuilt the engine. He confirmed everything, however, he said that the problem with the lifter was just no oil. So I installed everything, added 5 quarts of oil with the Cover still off. I rotated the engin as he instructed to "fill the hydraulic lifter with oil". I rotated enough times to watch each lifter rise and fall. The only one that never even moved was the original #2 cylinder. i can't reach him now. Would you all agree that I need to change the Hydraulic lifter?
Unread 11-27-2009, 01:31 PM   #6
rjbruzan
2004 TJ Wrangler 

The side of the lifter will rise and fall even if it has no oil in it .Does not sound right that one lifter doesnt get oil and the rest do.If the head is off maybe the lifter is up and not riding on the cam. If the push rod is not returning the lifter to the cam it will look like its not moving. Was the engine noisy with lifter noise. Another question is did he replace the cam bearings. they have a large part in giving the lifters enough oil pressure to not collapse. The coolant on the top of the piston could have been from when you removed the head. To change the lifter is an inexpensive thing to try except the head must come off. See what the mechanic says so you dont "void his warranty" if there is one.
rjbruzan is online now   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.