4.0 exhaust downpipe 'cans' - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > 4.0 exhaust downpipe 'cans'

Premium LED Lighting by VISION X, Proudly sold at ROCKRIDGBds fox ipf 2.0 racing series shocks now available at rockEngo winches available at www.rockridge4wd.com! Free shipp

Unread 12-30-2011, 05:02 PM   #1
RockScar
1984 CJ7 

4.0 exhaust downpipe 'cans'

I'm trying to finish up an engine swap ('00 TJ 4.0) into my CJ, and exhaust is up next. My motor has the manifolds, going down to twin openings. I've seen the stock TJ setup, and the downpipe has two 'cans' on it. What are these? Cats?

In a nutshell, I need to determine whether or not I need the stock downpipe with the 'cans'.

Thanks in advance for the help!!

Unread 12-30-2011, 05:20 PM   #2
TJJP77
2002 TJ Wrangler 

The cans are indeed small catalysts called "pre-cats"....
Sienna Jeep Club: Member #15
TJJP77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-30-2011, 05:52 PM   #3
RockScar
1984 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by TJJP77 View Post
The cans are indeed small catalysts called "pre-cats"....
Do you know if they're needed? Needed, as in regardless of emissions. I just need it to run properly.
Unread 12-30-2011, 06:23 PM   #4
tbburg
2000 XJ Cherokee 

They're not necessary for proper engine operation, but you won't find a down pipe that will bolt to the manifolds without the pre-cats.

Are you trying to make the TJ computer run in a CJ, or just swapping the motor over? The TJ is OBD-II, which makes a difference. While it will run without the catalytic converter, the computer will throw a code if it "sees" a non-functioning(or missing) catalytic converter. It has "upstream" and "downstream" O-2 sensors, they up-stream sensors to check A/F ration by exhaust gas analysis, and the down-stream set to confirm the catalytic converter is functioning properly. Remove the upstream sensors, the engine runs open-loop(crappy) remove the cat or downstream sensors, and you get a check engine light.

In addition, the OBD-II system has a gas tank evap. system monitor(Ever have a check engine light because the gas cap was left off?) without all that crap, you get another code and a check engine light also.
Unread 12-30-2011, 09:39 PM   #5
Andy-WhiteTJ
1998 TJ Wrangler 

You CAN get the down pipe without the cats for the 2000 exhaust. Napa and Rockauto has them. It's made by Walker.

http://www.napaonline.com/Catalog/Ca...(P_RecType%3aA)

However, as stated above, it will most likely throw a code unless you've done some modifications to the wiring and computer.

Just another member of:Hudson Valley 4 Wheelers, Inc. (a 501(c)(7) Not-for-Profit Corporation)
Member: NOVA (Northeast Off-road Vehicle Alliance)
Andy-WhiteTJ is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
4.0 swap , cj , downpipe , exhaust , tj

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.