4.0 Compatibility - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > 4.0 Compatibility

FS: Jeep Fog Light LED Bulbs! Several Brightness Options! Clayton Off Road JK Short Arm Suspension Kits~Artec JK 1 TON SWAP~

Unread 08-20-2010, 07:54 PM   #1
leedurr
1987 YJ Wrangler 

4.0 Compatibility

I am trying to replace a 4.0 in a 2001 and having a hard time finding one. My question is do I have to use a 99-04 block or can I use an older on with the newer style head and assesories. I know the head it different due to the Coil pack but I don't see an differences in the block with a blind eye. Believe it or not the engine still runs even with a window now in the the number six cyl. I am doing this a for a friend of mine who is retired and limited on funds so I am trying to keep it down price wise. Thanks for any help I can get

87 YJ, 4.5 RE lift with monotube RE shocks, 33 LTB's, 258 w/4.0 head, HEI, and Weber carb, Header, Comp 252H cam, Dynomax, cat back and much more.......
leedurr is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-31-2010, 08:14 PM   #2
leedurr
1987 YJ Wrangler 

Well after some research I have answered my own question. For the 99 and up models you have have to use the 99 and newer block for mounthing of the accessories. You can go back with a newer block but not forward with and older block. You have have to use the newer 99 and up head casting 0331 also due to the nounting holes for the coil rain.

87 YJ, 4.5 RE lift with monotube RE shocks, 33 LTB's, 258 w/4.0 head, HEI, and Weber carb, Header, Comp 252H cam, Dynomax, cat back and much more.......
leedurr is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-31-2010, 08:26 PM   #3
Knuckelhead
AFSOC Retired

2000 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by leedurr View Post
Well after some research I have answered my own question. For the 99 and up models you have have to use the 99 and newer block for mounthing of the accessories. You can go back with a newer block but not forward with and older block. You have have to use the newer 99 and up head casting 0331 also due to the nounting holes for the coil rain.
You need the 2000 and newer setup to have the ability to do a bolt-in...
Unread 08-31-2010, 08:27 PM   #4
Brown Dog
Vendor

1991 YJ Wrangler 

You are correct

The Jeep Forum Discount is ON!!

Motor Mounts, Motor Mount Lifts (MML), and Engine Brackets for Jeep
100% HANDCRAFTED IN AMERICA

91YJ 2.5
Brown Dog Mounts and Engine Brackets (Serial Number 1)
2" BL
4.5" Superlift SL
AA SYE
35" GoodYear Mud Terrains
Conteract Balancing Beads
Bulldog front bumper
Best Top seats
"Family" roll bar
25 foot 1/2" log chain
No Top, No Doors (Best Top Safari)
Brown Dog is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
4.0 , engine , swap , compatibility , tj , wrangler

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.