4.0 Bucking and stalling after continuous driving - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > 4.0 Bucking and stalling after continuous driving

Black Friday Sale - Deep Discounts from ExtremeTerrain.com6th Annual, Beat Your Wife to the Credit Card Sale!FS: Wrangler RGB Multicolor Fog Light LEDs: Awesome Effect

Unread 02-28-2013, 05:28 PM   #16
bbradUSMC
2004 TJ Wrangler 

I had this same problem in my '98 Sahara, turned out that it was my O2 sensor. I replaced it with a Bosch and had the same problem. Went around the engine replacing all kinds of junk to no success. Then I read up on here about Bosch O2's and a lot of guys are saying Jeeps hate them for some reason. I replaced it with whatever other brand the auto store had and presto, no more problem. If that doesn't work check for a short in your O2 harness.

bbradUSMC is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-28-2013, 05:46 PM   #17
ducaticorse

Had an 00 cherokee do the same thing. Was a bad valve :-(
ducaticorse is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-28-2013, 08:02 PM   #18
karik
1999 TJ Wrangler 

my guess it was the o2 sensor as well, but o/p said he changed his without improvement...

or a heat soaked cks, but he said that was changed too.that leaves cps.

wish i'd only changed one part at a time to see if that was it, but only have access to heated workspace once in a while.
karik is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-28-2013, 08:32 PM   #19
sethhawk1
2006 TJ Wrangler 

I found this same problem with a toyota and it actually turned out to be the engine temp sensor. It doesn't mean your overheating but the computer doesn't know what the temperature of the engine is to compensate. Yes there were two temp sensors one went to the temp sensor in the dash and the other to the computer. One way to test it would be to unplug when its missing real bad or not starting and see if conditions change.

I don't know if any of this pertains to the jeep, but its wort a shot.
sethhawk1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-02-2013, 02:25 AM   #20
oakmckinley
1999 TJ Wrangler 

That's what I was suggesting too. The dash gage temp sensor is different than the one that feeds info to the computer.
1964 Ford Fairlane 500
oakmckinley is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-02-2013, 02:38 AM   #21
photontraveler
Old Dude

1997 TJ Wrangler 

When my TJ was doing that it wound up being the Crank Sensor. I hope this helps.
Unread 03-02-2013, 04:03 AM   #22
Jonny Jeep
Web Wheeler

1997 TJ Wrangler 

TJs only have one temp sensor for the coolant temp, which is at the thermostat housing. The gauge displays what the PCM tells it to. If the gauge is operating normally the sensor should be ok. If the sensor needs testing it should be compared to the chart below. Could still be an overheating coil as I suggested earlier. Primary and secondary resistances should be 0.95-1.15 ohms and 11,300-15,300 ohms.

Rockauto 5% discount code can be found here... http://www.markviii.org/LOD2/products_services.htm

Online factory service manuals (FSMs) and parts lists can be viewed at http://www.jeep4x4center.com/knowledge-base/index.htm
If the link doesn't work properly, look for the service manual link under Jeep Resources at the bottom of the page.
Jonny Jeep is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-02-2013, 04:40 AM   #23
oakmckinley
1999 TJ Wrangler 

What's that temp sensor in the intake for then?

Not doubting you Johnny jeep (because you're the man), just wondering.
1964 Ford Fairlane 500
Unread 03-02-2013, 11:34 AM   #24
Jonny Jeep
Web Wheeler

1997 TJ Wrangler 

Intake air temperature sensor.

Rockauto 5% discount code can be found here... http://www.markviii.org/LOD2/products_services.htm

Online factory service manuals (FSMs) and parts lists can be viewed at http://www.jeep4x4center.com/knowledge-base/index.htm
If the link doesn't work properly, look for the service manual link under Jeep Resources at the bottom of the page.
Unread 03-02-2013, 07:12 PM   #25
oakmckinley
1999 TJ Wrangler 

And it adjusts the amount of fuel due to the reading? for colder/hotter air temps?
So if that sensor was not reading correctly?
1964 Ford Fairlane 500
Unread 03-02-2013, 11:27 PM   #26
freeskier93
Web Wheeler

1997 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by oakmckinley View Post
And it adjusts the amount of fuel due to the reading? for colder/hotter air temps?
So if that sensor was not reading correctly?
It's possible. The intake temp sensor is used in conjunction with the MAP sensor to determine air density, which is pretty important to know for a/f ratio.

CU Boulder Aerospace Engineering
freeskier93 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-03-2013, 08:04 AM   #27
Jonny Jeep
Web Wheeler

1997 TJ Wrangler 

Both coolant temp and IAT sensors are used in conjunction with the MAP, CKP, CMP, O2 sensors for controlling the fuel mix and sync. Both temperature sensors will have an effect on the fuel injector pulse width. When resistive sensors fail they usually go open circuit and in the case of the coolant and IAT sensors they make the computer think the temp is -40 and this results in a rich fuel mix which can cause rough running but also causes a drop in MPG. Both sensors can be checked against the chart posted above.

The reason I suggested the coil earlier is that there's a thread in the XJ section where the guy swapped all sorts of stuff and the problem turned out to be a bad coil, which turned out to be cracked in his case. The trouble with heat soaking problems is the number of things that can be affected. It could even be a bad splice or connection that increases resistance as it gets hot.

It might be worth the OP checking the condition of his plugs since a sticking valve has also been suggested.

Unread 03-04-2013, 01:19 PM   #28
JCarroll89
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Replaced the plugs, plug wires, cap, rotor, ignition coil, o2 sensors, crank sensor, IAC (found out pintle was broken when i was cleaning out the throttle body), cleaning all connections and battery terminals, and running seafoam through the engine and fuel system and she still couldn't hack it at highway speeds for more than 5-10 minutes. Fine during city driving.

Replaced the fuel pump assembly and I'm back in business, 300 miles and a weekend trip to Rausch Creek with no issues. I'm thinking the pump was on it's way out and could handle low demand while city driving but couldn't take the continuous high demand while highway driving. Guess and check isn't the most cost effective way to diagnose an issue but I did notice a pretty nice increase in MPG. I guess she was just being a typical woman, you know something is wrong but she won't tell you what (no CEL) so you just keep buying things for her until she's happy again. It's too bad I couldn't just put some roses in the tank but what can you do eh. Thanks for all the help & input
JCarroll89 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-04-2013, 01:42 PM   #29
bbradUSMC
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCarroll89 View Post
I guess she was just being a typical woman, you know something is wrong but she won't tell you what (no CEL) so you just keep buying things for her until she's happy again.
That is my first Signature quote. Thank you sir!
bbradUSMC is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-04-2013, 01:49 PM   #30
Jonny Jeep
Web Wheeler

1997 TJ Wrangler 

Glad you found the problem and got it fixed. Never really thought about the fuel pump getting heat soaked. I'd have expected it to be a more consistent problem.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.