35's and a d30 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > 35's and a d30

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineAttention to the TJ owners 1996-2006 NEW LED LIGHT OPTIONSBds fox ipf 2.0 racing series shocks now available at rock

Unread 10-27-2005, 12:57 PM   #1
stevegittings
1999 TJ Wrangler 

35's and a d30

Okay, one last question on using 35 inch tires. Replacing the d30 is out of the question for the foreseeable future. Right now, as I've stated in another thread, I plan on 33's right now, but I keep eyeballing the 35's.

What upgrades will I need/want to keep it, the d30, together?

Thanks in advance,
Slim

stevegittings is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-27-2005, 01:03 PM   #2
Joel77
1998 TJ Wrangler 

The front D30 with Warn inner and outer cromoly shafts are perfect for 35" tires.

What rear axle do you have, D35 or D44? If it's a D44, your set but the D35 will not hold up.
Joel77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-27-2005, 01:06 PM   #3
Jerry Bransford
Do it right or not at all

2004 TJ Wrangler 

The D30 holds up to being locked with 35" tires for most wheeling needs. Though I ended up breaking a front axleshaft and u-joint with that combination on a rock crawling trip, it broke because I screwed up and gave it too much gas when the steering wheel was cranked hard over... where it places the most stress on the u-joint and axleshaft ears that hold the u-joint. I ended up replacing the axleshafts with hardened 4340 chromolly axleshafts from Warn but that's not required for most wheeling.

The reason the D30 holds up with 35" tires and a locker but a Dana 35c doesn't is because the D30 generally never sees more than 50% of the torque/stress the D35c usually does.

Coolest offroad magazine ever! CRAWL Magazine

When you have a choice, buy American.

Jerry Bransford is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-27-2005, 01:35 PM   #4
stevegittings
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Again, good info. Running a d35c in the rear, but that is getting replaced long before I switch to 35's. Until that happens, the 31's stay as well as my spare shafts.

I was thinking warn hubs on the d30 and I recall they come with new outers and then I was going with Alloy USA inners.

Doesn't the pinion get mighty small in that set up tho' if I run with 4.88 gears? None issue? With 35's and 4.88's, and replaced axles, what then is the weak link in the d30?

Thanks again, this should about do it for 35 inch tire associated questions.
Slim
Unread 10-27-2005, 01:45 PM   #5
Jerry Bransford

2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevegittings
Again, good info. Running a d35c in the rear, but that is getting replaced long before I switch to 35's. Until that happens, the 31's stay as well as my spare shafts.

I was thinking warn hubs on the d30 and I recall they come with new outers and then I was going with Alloy USA inners.

Doesn't the pinion get mighty small in that set up tho' if I run with 4.88 gears? None issue? With 35's and 4.88's, and replaced axles, what then is the weak link in the d30?

Thanks again, this should about do it for 35 inch tire associated questions.
Slim
The D30's weak link after upgrading things like axleshafts becomes the 297/760 u-joint. So far as the 4.88's pinion shaft strength, that was a fear when the 4.88 first became available for the TJ's Dana axles but so far, breakages have been extremely rare. I'm running 4.88 gearing in my D30/D44 and I'm not afraid to hammer it.

Unread 10-27-2005, 01:56 PM   #6
stevegittings
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Great, I'm good to go ahead with 35's then rather than the 33's.

Thanks to all,
Slim
Unread 10-27-2005, 02:01 PM   #7
Jerry Bransford

2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevegittings
Great, I'm good to go ahead with 35's then rather than the 33's.

Thanks to all,
Slim
Don't forget your drag link and especially your tie rod will need strengthening to successfully run 35" tires on the trail. Currie's steering kit is an ideal upgrade that provides more than enough beef to run that big of a tire.

Unread 10-27-2005, 02:09 PM   #8
stevegittings
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry Bransford
Don't forget your drag link and especially your tie rod will need strengthening to successfully run 35" tires on the trail. Currie's steering kit is an ideal upgrade that provides more than enough beef to run that big of a tire.
Yep, got that from you on the other thread. Northridge is gonna get more money from me soon. I''ve already been eyeing a tie-rod upgrade of some sort.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.