350 V8 swap keeping the 32RH ? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > 350 V8 swap keeping the 32RH ?

Currie Antirock, Currectlync & Lift Kits on Sale!Oconee Off-Road Free Shipping Lifts Tires Bumpers Tops andIntroducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 02-10-2013, 09:46 AM   #1
Rivercliff
1997 TJ Wrangler 

350 V8 swap keeping the 32RH ?

Been thinking of selling my Jeep and starting an old pick up build. My wife threw a fit (she loves the Jeep), so, going to do both worlds by dropping a SB 350 into my 97 TJ.

Question is, would the build be much simpler (cheaper) by rebuilding and keeping the 32RH. My tranny has 110k miles but has no probs.

More info: Going with a carbed Gen 1 350. Nothing special - just "clean it up" but no performance boost.

I currently have 97TJ w 4.0 engine, 4" lift, 33's, ARB locked, SYE, 4:1 transfer gears, Dana 35/Dana 30 with chromoly axles (floated in rear), 3.56 gears (I know, need them taller)

Rather than purchasing a TH350 and adapter to my NP231J which would likely need new shifter(s) and modifications to mount it all, and perhaps have to shorten my Tom Woods drive shaft, I am hoping to keep all that right where it is, and adapt my SB chevy to my existing 32RH.

Has anyone swapped to v8 keeping their stock automatic with success or utter failure?

Unread 02-10-2013, 09:50 AM   #2
Ironhead
2003 TJ Wrangler 

do you do any offroading where climbing is involved? if so, id stay away from a carb
Ironhead is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-10-2013, 10:20 AM   #3
Patrick H

2001 TJ Wrangler 

I'd go with a TBI 350 and 700R4
Unread 02-10-2013, 10:26 AM   #4
freeskier93
Web Wheeler

1997 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ironhead_Jed View Post
do you do any offroading where climbing is involved? if so, id stay away from a carb
x2.

Carb buffs will tell you "it's just needs to be tuned properly". Okay, have fun with that.

Anytime I've ever been off road with carbed vehicles they have always had issues at least once. It's a wee bit annoying when your stuck behind them and have to stop on the middle of a hill/technical section.

CU Boulder Aerospace Engineering
freeskier93 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-10-2013, 10:33 AM   #5
Jeepsr4me

Work involved to do swap is not worth it when you got a 4.0 already
Jeepsr4me is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-10-2013, 11:10 AM   #6
TJJP77
2002 TJ Wrangler 

32RH is not really rated for the input torque of a V8. You would be better off with a GM trans designed to mate to the 350.
Sienna Jeep Club: Member #15
TJJP77 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-10-2013, 11:12 AM   #7
Unlimited04
This post/info=my opinion

2004 LJ Wrangler 

using a carb is a step backwards. a big downgrade. honestly, in your SWB TJ, I'd rather have a stock fuelie 4-cyl than a carb 350....you have a 4.0L, you're doing good.
Unlimited04 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-10-2013, 11:31 AM   #8
Rivercliff
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Dang. All this common sense is killing me. What I was hoping for was the encouragement most of my friends give me when I am about to do something stupid.
Unread 02-10-2013, 11:43 AM   #9
ratmonkey
R.I.P.

1997 ZJ 

if you wait long enough the "go fer it" crowd will show up.

with the availability and price of the lsx series motors there's no way i'd even think about a carbed motor in an offroad vehicle. that and the mopar magnum small blocks are the most logical v8 choices out there.

i too have been stuck behind carbed vehicles on the trail when they couldn't keep fuel in the carb.

ratmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-10-2013, 12:44 PM   #10
rda616
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Your stock 4.0 makes more tq and hp then a carbed 350 from the mid 70's and early 80's. And yes carburetors are a step back into the stone age. Why on earth would you want that over what you already have.

As already stated if you want a decent power increase at the lowest price do a magnum 5.9 swap. If you want a bit more power, but also more cost do a ls swap.

A 350 was a cheap swap a couple decades ago before the use of pcm controlled instrument panels, high pressure fuel systems, etc. These dinosaurs aren't worth the trouble!
rda616 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-10-2013, 01:56 PM   #11
sduncan
Web Wheeler

1998 TJ Wrangler 

See ALL of the above for swapping in a carbed motor...On the other hand, inreference to your original question...yes a 32RH can be built to handle a mild V8. For its size, its a damn tough trans and was put behind small V8s way back when. However, most will recommend that you use the trans that came with or was available with your new motor.

Realisticly though...the cheapest V8 swap is the 5.9 Magnum.
After that, an LS is next mainly due to the fairly cheap cost of the motor. Next on the $$ chain is a Hemi conversion. (I really like mine).
Top of the list is the LS3, LS7, LS9 motors but you're talking big $$.

Good luck..
'98 TJ, 5.7 HEMI, 545RFE, G2 33 spl. D44, HP D30,ARBs,4.10s, RE 4.5 LA,Savvy 1.25 BL,35in MTRs w/Pro Comp 15x10 alloys, Warn 9.5 cti w/Amsteel rope, Gen Rite G3 Alumium front fenders and rear flares, Premier Power welder 195 amp,Savvy Rockers,Prothane bumps,LED tail lites, Rampage top
Link to my Hemi build thread http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f9/so...rsion-1277803/
YouTube video..http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iaDRq...&feature=g-upl
sduncan is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-10-2013, 03:11 PM   #12
Rivercliff
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Appreciate the advice. You have swayed me from the carbed motor. Will look closely at the 5.9 magnum for a swap.

Kinda bummed about not being able to put an Edelbrock sticker on the back though.
Unread 02-10-2013, 03:29 PM   #13
TJRHD
2005 TJ Wrangler 

I would definately go with a 5.3 out of a later model chevy before I would do a carbd 350. I would probably do a tbi 4.3 before I would do a carbd 350.
Unread 02-10-2013, 04:19 PM   #14
cj847
1997 TJ Wrangler 

I've done a little reading on various swaps I've contemplated and I wouldn't do what you are contemplating.

1) No swap of engine or trans from a non jeep will be "cheap" or even "resonable". It's rediculously expensive.
2) The main complaint of our 97 jeeps is lack of power and lack of overdrive. Your 350/350 combo will solve neither. The carb will actually reduce the value from where it is currently.
3) My vote is the 5.3/4L60E from a chevy truck and pay for the engine and tcase adapters and new driveshafts. Even as simple as that sounds you are talking several thousand dollars.

If you do anything in this arena it's important that you and your wife "love the jeep" because you will never be able to get the money back (but I love the idea of a V8, overdrive, bad@ss jeep and I hope you go for it!!!).

Unread 02-10-2013, 04:24 PM   #15
Ironhead
2003 TJ Wrangler 

why not just drop a stroked I6 in there, almost the same power as a SBC and its pretty much plug n play

after reading tons of swaps, its the route i will be taking.
Ironhead is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Tags
32rh , 350 , chevy , conversion , v8

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.