35-40 mph shimmy - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > 35-40 mph shimmy

Labor Day Sale!FS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitEngo winches available at www.rockridge4wd.com! Free shipp

Unread 07-26-2014, 08:09 AM   #1
4chevys4me
1998 TJ Wrangler 

35-40 mph shimmy

Hello all,
Slight wobble or shimmy between 35-40 mph. Already replaced my Track-bar and had an alignment. Any ideas where to look now? 4.5 inch lift. 98 TJ 140K

4chevys4me is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-26-2014, 08:27 AM   #2
Jeepsr4me

Did you verify the lower trac bar mount hole is not wallowed out? Other than that shocks and a bad tire will do that. One with a bad internal belt. Had my share of internal breakage so I always get the replacement warranty and just get a new tire. Walmart good for something.
Jeepsr4me is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-26-2014, 08:43 AM   #3
Jwolfer
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Your tires might need to be balanced. I get a slight shimmy in that range every now and then.
Jwolfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-26-2014, 09:54 AM   #4
Jerry Bransford
Do it right or not at all

2004 TJ Wrangler 

Speed sensitive shimmies are nearly always caused by imperfect tire balance.

Coolest offroad magazine ever! CRAWL Magazine

When you have a choice, buy American.

Jerry Bransford is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-26-2014, 02:00 PM   #5
jblue1555
1979 CJ7 

Knock the joint out of your pitman arm and turn it, see if its tight with no loose spots. If it binds then gets loose change it. It is a bigger joint than the tie rods so don't let them sell you the wrong one.

Last edited by jblue1555; 07-26-2014 at 02:18 PM.. Reason: wrong wording
jblue1555 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-26-2014, 02:48 PM   #6
Jerry Bransford

2004 TJ Wrangler 

A loose bushing in the steering is never the cause of a shimmy. A loose steering bushing (joint) may make a shimmy worse but it is never the actual root cause of a shimmy.

Unread 07-26-2014, 03:03 PM   #7
jblue1555
1979 CJ7 

Jerry I'm not trying to start a war, but we chased that very 40 to 55 wobble with every possible cure from tire balance , tires from another jeep, new track bar and just started pulling things and found that joint was not smooth in its rotation. I would imagine it spends 70% of its time in the neutral straight ahead position when rotated it was binding. Replaced it, ran it on a known stretch of road that caused the driver to actually have to pull over before and no reaction at all, he could not believe it. I cant tout this as everybodys cure just a place to check.
Unread 07-26-2014, 03:09 PM   #8
Jerry Bransford

2004 TJ Wrangler 

A loose bushing will no more be the root cause of a shimmy than a bad steering stabilizer is the root cause of Death Wobble. Both simply let another problem develop to the point of it being noticeable after being triggered by the actual root cause. Both can serve to dampen out the symptoms but both problems are actually triggered by root cause, with the triggering root cause event usually being an out of balance tire or a bump in the road.

Like getting a black eye from your wife or girlfriend. Her fist in your eye was not the root cause, calling her fat was the true root cause.

Unread 07-26-2014, 03:48 PM   #9
jblue1555
1979 CJ7 

Jerry smart *** I don't need. I didn't suggest this as a cure all, just something that cured another jeeps problem. Jeep has 63.000 miles well serviced not driven off road 2.5 lift with MTR road force balanced tires. slowly developed the shimmy into having to pull over it would get so bad. I know the theory you adhere to but maybe someone will benefit from one more. I tell you what , I have a friends jeep here for next week, i'll put this joint in his jeep and go with him on a test drive without him knowing I changed it, being careful to not let it get out of control and let you know the outcome.
Unread 07-26-2014, 05:43 PM   #10
Stix1107
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jblue1555
Jerry smart *** I don't need. I didn't suggest this as a cure all, just something that cured another jeeps problem. Jeep has 63.000 miles well serviced not driven off road 2.5 lift with MTR road force balanced tires. slowly developed the shimmy into having to pull over it would get so bad. I know the theory you adhere to but maybe someone will benefit from one more. I tell you what , I have a friends jeep here for next week, i'll put this joint in his jeep and go with him on a test drive without him knowing I changed it, being careful to not let it get out of control and let you know the outcome.
I wouldn't argue with Mr jerry. He seems to have a problem with answering questions with smart $$$ know it all comments. I don't doubt that he is very knowledgable, but he should really work on how he relays his knowledge to the forum.
Stix1107 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-28-2014, 04:06 PM   #11
jblue1555
1979 CJ7 

Jerry, put the bad drag link joint on the different jeep today. Went for a ride with the owner to check how it was running, me thinking he didn't know the joint was changed. We were running on a 35 mph street and turned on to the same stretch of 4 lane the other jeep had the severe wobble. As the speed increased he told me he could feel something wrong, I told him to slow down as we were approaching the spot where the other jeep shook, he didn't and it went into the shake and he had to pull over. I started to ask him why he didn't slow down when he told me he knew what was going on and did it as a joke. Got back to the shop and had to hear about it there. Changed the joint back to his original and again it drives fine. Your famous though, the guys said their going to call it the" Bransford Joint" fix.
Unread 07-28-2014, 04:39 PM   #12
biffgnar
Web Wheeler

2006 TJ Wrangler 

My jeep likes to wear out the tie rod end at the pitman arm. Not exactly sure why, but I always know when it's happening as I start to get a wobble. And replacing it makes the wobble go away. Is something else wrong in the front end? Maybe, but I can't find it.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.