Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner

35" or 36" tire/gear/lift combo, skyjacker

2K views 13 replies 11 participants last post by  Muddeprived 
#1 ·
Im contemplating 35s or 36s but i cannot decide. Im leaning toward the 36s just cuz i wanna go as big as possible. I have 4.10s in the rear (front is commin soon) and it is pretty torquey. I have 33s Interco Trxus Mud Terrains (awsome tires) on there now, with alot of clearance under the 4" skyjacker short arm (hard top version). Skyjacker claims you can fit 35s with no problem but im gonna go with another 1" in body lift just for safety. Is it gonna be big enough to clear 36s with room to spare? Am i gonna keep most of my power and still be using my 5th gear being that i have the 4.10s? Is there anyone out there who is running 35s or 36s of any kind under a 4 inch skyjacker and one inch body who would like to give me some advice? anyone with pictures would be great help. Thanks

#2 · (Edited)
Chilipeppered88 said:
Im contemplating 35s or 36s but i cannot decide. Im leaning toward the 36s just cuz i wanna go as big as possible. I have 4.10s in the rear (front is commin soon) and it is pretty torquey. I have 33s Interco Trxus Mud Terrains (awsome tires) on there now, with alot of clearance under the 4" skyjacker short arm (hard top version). Skyjacker claims you can fit 35s with no problem but im gonna go with another 1" in body lift just for safety. Is it gonna be big enough to clear 36s with room to spare? Am i gonna keep most of my power and still be using my 5th gear being that i have the 4.10s? Is there anyone out there who is running 35s or 36s of any kind under a 4 inch skyjacker and one inch body who would like to give me some advice? anyone with pictures would be great help. Thanks
Wouldn't 4.56 or 4.88 gears be better for 35+ tires? Auto or manual? i don't have any experience with tires above 31" but for what it's worth, i had skyjacker's 2.5" hardtop version and netted 3.25" along with a 1" body lift. With 4.25" total lift, i was rubbing just barely on the inside fenders at full flex. I gotta tell you, skyjacker kits flex pretty nasty :thumbsup: I would seriously recommend ya getting the skyjacker hydro shocks because they are pretty soft and ride really well. Not to mention the lifetime warranty.

Here's a pix of what my 4.25 skyjacker/bl looks like with 31's. If you got a good imagination, just picture 35's on there :)

Attachments

#3 ·
You from Kent Ohio?

#4 ·
i have 35's with 4.10 and it still uses 5th without downshifting a whole lot, but i live in florida where it is very flat. i am saving for a d44 with 4.88's all around. i had 33's before with the 4.10's and yes there is a difference, but nothing you need to run right out and drop a grand to regear just to go to work. hope this helps.

#6 ·
I would think for best performance you are going to need 4.88's.

#7 ·
Here's 35's with 6 inches lift plus spacers. That might be more than you were looking for, but I thought I'd post a pic anyway. I think most people say that 5-5.5" of lift will clear 35's, but I'm not sure about 36's.

I regeared with 4.56. I think they are fine for me, but I use my jeep as a DD also. 5th gear works fine - probably around 2200 rpm at 60 mph. A friend of mine had 4.10 with 35's and I didn't care for it. Anything other than flat ground and you were probably downshifting.

#8 ·
adjust your bumpstops and you'll be fine

I run 36s on a 4" suspension with a 1" body with no rubbing and I'm flat fendered up front

Andy will rub it in that he is running 3.5" springs clearing 37s with room to spare......just ignore him.......haha ;)

:thumbsup:

#9 ·
I'm running 4" suspension 1" body with 37's and flat fendered. There is only a little rubbing in the front at full tilt. The picture isn't full flex but it shows that you do have room. I am running 4.88's with a 5 spd 4.0 and like the way it pulls although 5.13's would probably be a little better.

#10 · (Edited)
Muddeprived said:
Wouldn't 4.56 or 4.88 gears be better for 35+ tires? Auto or manual? i don't have any experience with tires above 31" but for what it's worth, i had skyjacker's 2.5" hardtop version and netted 3.25" along with a 1" body lift. With 4.25" total lift, i was rubbing just barely on the inside fenders at full flex. I gotta tell you, skyjacker kits flex pretty nasty :thumbsup: I would seriously recommend ya getting the skyjacker hydro shocks because they are pretty soft and ride really well. Not to mention the lifetime warranty.

Here's a pix of what my 4.25 skyjacker/bl looks like with 31's. If you got a good imagination, just picture 35's on there :)
i think 4.56 would be alright but 4.88s would be way too much. I dont want those high rpms goin down ther freeway because the freeway driving outweights the trail riding 10 times over. Plus, i spent way to much money on the 8.8 swap just hunting down parts. I love the 8.8 to death but it nickle and dimes you like no other when you set the thing up, then to go out and change the gears when i was lucky enough to find one with 4.10 is somethin i dont wanna do...

About the tires, i really think i can clear some 36s without a problem but every tire varies a little in size. who out theres is running the 36" Trxus and what do you think of them? what lift ect?

#11 · (Edited)
HIPPER said:
You from Kent Ohio?
Yeah im actually from a town closer to cleveland but im goin to school here in Kent so i got a place out here... You know any good trails around here? it seems like everything i used to ride is gettin developed or being watched and im running outta places to get my ride muddy.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.