35" or 36" tire/gear/lift combo, skyjacker - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > 35" or 36" tire/gear/lift combo, skyjacker

Old Man Emu WK Lift - Black Friday Special!!The Original 3/8" Ruffstuff Diff Cover!Safety Thimble Fairleads

Unread 11-29-2005, 03:49 AM   #1
Chilipeppered88

35" or 36" tire/gear/lift combo, skyjacker

Im contemplating 35s or 36s but i cannot decide. Im leaning toward the 36s just cuz i wanna go as big as possible. I have 4.10s in the rear (front is commin soon) and it is pretty torquey. I have 33s Interco Trxus Mud Terrains (awsome tires) on there now, with alot of clearance under the 4" skyjacker short arm (hard top version). Skyjacker claims you can fit 35s with no problem but im gonna go with another 1" in body lift just for safety. Is it gonna be big enough to clear 36s with room to spare? Am i gonna keep most of my power and still be using my 5th gear being that i have the 4.10s? Is there anyone out there who is running 35s or 36s of any kind under a 4 inch skyjacker and one inch body who would like to give me some advice? anyone with pictures would be great help. Thanks

Unread 11-29-2005, 05:58 AM   #2
Muddeprived

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chilipeppered88
Im contemplating 35s or 36s but i cannot decide. Im leaning toward the 36s just cuz i wanna go as big as possible. I have 4.10s in the rear (front is commin soon) and it is pretty torquey. I have 33s Interco Trxus Mud Terrains (awsome tires) on there now, with alot of clearance under the 4" skyjacker short arm (hard top version). Skyjacker claims you can fit 35s with no problem but im gonna go with another 1" in body lift just for safety. Is it gonna be big enough to clear 36s with room to spare? Am i gonna keep most of my power and still be using my 5th gear being that i have the 4.10s? Is there anyone out there who is running 35s or 36s of any kind under a 4 inch skyjacker and one inch body who would like to give me some advice? anyone with pictures would be great help. Thanks
Wouldn't 4.56 or 4.88 gears be better for 35+ tires? Auto or manual? i don't have any experience with tires above 31" but for what it's worth, i had skyjacker's 2.5" hardtop version and netted 3.25" along with a 1" body lift. With 4.25" total lift, i was rubbing just barely on the inside fenders at full flex. I gotta tell you, skyjacker kits flex pretty nasty I would seriously recommend ya getting the skyjacker hydro shocks because they are pretty soft and ride really well. Not to mention the lifetime warranty.

Here's a pix of what my 4.25 skyjacker/bl looks like with 31's. If you got a good imagination, just picture 35's on there
p6010009.jpg  
Flux Capacitor Heat Machine

Last edited by Muddeprived; 11-29-2005 at 06:19 AM..
Muddeprived is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-29-2005, 08:34 AM   #3
HIPPER

You from Kent Ohio?

Check out www.hippshobbies.com for all your 4x4 needs. Our product line is constantly growing so I can get you almost anything you want, just e-mail me your request and I'll get you a quote brandon@hippshobbies.com

HAVE A GREAT DAY!
HIPPER is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-29-2005, 08:50 AM   #4
scrappy

i have 35's with 4.10 and it still uses 5th without downshifting a whole lot, but i live in florida where it is very flat. i am saving for a d44 with 4.88's all around. i had 33's before with the 4.10's and yes there is a difference, but nothing you need to run right out and drop a grand to regear just to go to work. hope this helps.
99 TJ Sport 4.0 5sp, 30/44 aussie/truetrac and 4.88's, 4.5 RE, 1"BL/MML, 35" Toyo M/T's, Ramsey REP8000, JKS discos, Warn Flares 6", Tera rear discs, Jeeperman sliders and rear bumper/tire carrier, Nth oil skid, Currie HD steering, 33 engineering TT skid, JB conversions 231HD transfer case w/SYE/CV, Kilby steering box skid/gas tank skid, incab winch controller, Edge Trail Jammer, Baja RS seats, Viair OBA,
My Jeep
scrappy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-29-2005, 09:15 AM   #5
4JEEPN

35" should be fine with 5" of lift, the 36's might be okay in the front not sure on the back. Also make sure to adj your bumpstops. Here is a pic of mine(re springs and spacers) with about 6.5" front 4.5" rear and 35's

Unread 11-29-2005, 09:28 AM   #6
jgarner
2008 JK Wrangler 

I would think for best performance you are going to need 4.88's.
PRESENT : 2008 Rubicon Unlimited | Rescue Green | OME HD Long Travel Kit w/ 40+ Coils| 37 x 12.5 BFG KM2s | Spidertrax Spacers | ProComp Extreme Alloy Wheels | Poison Spyder BFH Front Bumper | ARB Hi-Flow On Board Air | sPOD | Cobra CB
jgarner is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-29-2005, 01:53 PM   #7
hkiss96

Here's 35's with 6 inches lift plus spacers. That might be more than you were looking for, but I thought I'd post a pic anyway. I think most people say that 5-5.5" of lift will clear 35's, but I'm not sure about 36's.

I regeared with 4.56. I think they are fine for me, but I use my jeep as a DD also. 5th gear works fine - probably around 2200 rpm at 60 mph. A friend of mine had 4.10 with 35's and I didn't care for it. Anything other than flat ground and you were probably downshifting.

hkiss96 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-29-2005, 07:28 PM   #8
Soon2AdjustYou
1994 YJ Wrangler 

adjust your bumpstops and you'll be fine

I run 36s on a 4" suspension with a 1" body with no rubbing and I'm flat fendered up front

Andy will rub it in that he is running 3.5" springs clearing 37s with room to spare......just ignore him.......haha

Unread 11-29-2005, 09:55 PM   #9
jeepin494
1977 CJ7 

I'm running 4" suspension 1" body with 37's and flat fendered. There is only a little rubbing in the front at full tilt. The picture isn't full flex but it shows that you do have room. I am running 4.88's with a 5 spd 4.0 and like the way it pulls although 5.13's would probably be a little better.

jeepin494 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-30-2005, 12:43 AM   #10
Chilipeppered88

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muddeprived
Wouldn't 4.56 or 4.88 gears be better for 35+ tires? Auto or manual? i don't have any experience with tires above 31" but for what it's worth, i had skyjacker's 2.5" hardtop version and netted 3.25" along with a 1" body lift. With 4.25" total lift, i was rubbing just barely on the inside fenders at full flex. I gotta tell you, skyjacker kits flex pretty nasty I would seriously recommend ya getting the skyjacker hydro shocks because they are pretty soft and ride really well. Not to mention the lifetime warranty.

Here's a pix of what my 4.25 skyjacker/bl looks like with 31's. If you got a good imagination, just picture 35's on there

i think 4.56 would be alright but 4.88s would be way too much. I dont want those high rpms goin down ther freeway because the freeway driving outweights the trail riding 10 times over. Plus, i spent way to much money on the 8.8 swap just hunting down parts. I love the 8.8 to death but it nickle and dimes you like no other when you set the thing up, then to go out and change the gears when i was lucky enough to find one with 4.10 is somethin i dont wanna do...

About the tires, i really think i can clear some 36s without a problem but every tire varies a little in size. who out theres is running the 36" Trxus and what do you think of them? what lift ect?

Last edited by Chilipeppered88; 11-30-2005 at 12:59 AM..
Chilipeppered88 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-30-2005, 12:48 AM   #11
Chilipeppered88

Quote:
Originally Posted by HIPPER
You from Kent Ohio?

Yeah im actually from a town closer to cleveland but im goin to school here in Kent so i got a place out here... You know any good trails around here? it seems like everything i used to ride is gettin developed or being watched and im running outta places to get my ride muddy.

Last edited by Chilipeppered88; 11-30-2005 at 12:59 AM..
Chilipeppered88 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-30-2005, 03:20 AM   #12
camoTJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chilipeppered88
freeway driving outweights the trail riding 10 times over.

Then why do you want 36's?
Unread 11-30-2005, 03:34 AM   #13
got_4_lo

thats better

Quote:
Originally Posted by DesertTJ
I came home to be spit on and protested against in Boulder, Colorado. Most of the people have no clue. And that's why we do what we do. We give up our freedom so they can enjoy their freedom.
got_4_lo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-30-2005, 08:15 AM   #14
Muddeprived

Quote:
Originally Posted by got_4_lo

thats better

My rockers have a nice bend to them....
Flux Capacitor Heat Machine
Muddeprived is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.