33's and re-gearing - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > 33's and re-gearing

SPARTAN LOCKERS are on sale BIG TIME at ROCKRIDGE 4WD!FS: Jeep Fog Light LED Bulbs! Several Brightness Options! Yukon Ultimate 35 axle kit for c/clip axles with Yukon Zip

Unread 03-02-2014, 08:58 AM   #1
CETackleberry

33's and re-gearing

Ok, So after a couple hours of searching... I have come up with no definitive answer. I see threads full of opinions, but no facts.

Here's the setup...
I have a 2001 TJ Wrangler Sahara.
4.0 and 5-speed manual.
It has a 4" rough country suspension lift.
I'm running BFG 31x10.50-15's.
I'm pretty sure I have the D30 in front and The D35 in rear. with 3.07 ratios in both.

Time for tires has come and I want to go bigger to fill out the wheel wells. I need to know what I will have to do to:
1) Run 33's
or
2) Run 35's

I assume I will need to re-gear both front and rear to the same ratio. I also assume with 35's I will have to get chromoly axle shafts. I've also heard the D35 won't hold up to anything bigger than 33's.

I'm looking for minimum wheel width with both sizes and what gear ratios go with what size tires. If there are multiple choices for ratios, what are the benefits of each one? (fuel mileage vs power/acceleration)

Personal experience and opinions are appreciated, but please throw as many facts in as you can.

CETackleberry is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-02-2014, 09:16 AM   #2
Duck Doctor
2006 TJ Wrangler 

What is your budget and how do you intend to use your rig?
Duck Doctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-02-2014, 09:36 AM   #3
RowJ
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Assuming at least some serious off roading, since you have serious lift...........
To run 35's properly....read HERE
I would not do so with a Dana 35 rear axle.

33's would be easy for you and a lot less expensive. Could get by with upgraded brakes and 15x8" wheels with less than 4" backapacing.

General rule - 4.56 gears work well for 33's; 4.88's for 35's.

Welcome to JF! the above read on 35's comes from TJ Boot Camp, and is recommended reading for all new members.

Good Luck!
RowJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-02-2014, 09:58 AM   #4
Moezer
2014 JK Wrangler 

I had a tj with 307 and ran 33s, also was manual was it drivable? Yes it was, did I like it? Not so much, I never used 5th gear and when I did it was on level roads any change in the roads and I had to down shift to 4th also sometimes had to downshift to 3d to pick up speed.

I had 3.5 inch of lift on mine, I upgraded my gears to 410 gearing but never tried them with the 33s because it is winter here so I was running 31s, with the 31s and 410 yes I got the power back yes I had a rear locked d35 with chromy axles.

410s with 31s was also annoying I went threw all the gears soo fast but in 5th gear the jeep keeps on pulling with no efforts so I suspect 410s with 33s would be perfect but if your thinking to go 35s then go to 456 gearing unless u want more power and less speed then u can go to 488s but yeah.

Now I got a 2014 rubi manual I love it and will be or try to put the 33s 15s on it this coming tuesday ill be getting some spacers to test them out good luck
Moezer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-02-2014, 11:26 AM   #5
CETackleberry

Thanks for all the replies guys. Budget is kind of open right now. Just wanting to see what my options are.
As for the top of usage I'm planning, I just want to be able to drive across a muddy field maybe a couple creeks without having to worry about getting stuck. Plus, looks matter too.

If I understand correctly, for 33's or 35's, I will have to re-gear either way. I may be able to get out with fewer parts and less money if I run 33's. Is this correct?

And will be Dana 35 rear axle hold up to a re-gear and 33's? Assuming bigger brakes and upgraded steering, of course.
Unread 03-02-2014, 11:51 AM   #6
Eckoh
2003 TJ Wrangler 

you can run 35s on a dana 35 just fine if you are not dumb in how you drive. Also there is the super 35 option out there that is MORE then strong enough to run 35s and you gain a locker... if you are going to re-gear anyways that is the best time to throw in lockers.
Eckoh is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-02-2014, 01:13 PM   #7
RowJ
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by CETackleberry View Post
......If I understand correctly, for 33's or 35's, I will have to re-gear either way. I may be able to get out with fewer parts and less money if I run 33's. Is this correct?
Correct!
33 w/ 3.07 gears are a rear pain.
Unread 03-02-2014, 01:25 PM   #8
RowJ
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by CETackleberry View Post
....will the Dana 35 rear axle hold up to a re-gear and 33's? Assuming bigger brakes and upgraded steering, of course.
D35 will work with regeared 33's. I have run 4.56 gears and 33's for 3 yrs with no problems... and that is on some very serious 3 star and 4 star off road trails. The key is to be sensible.... and to crawl....never spin and above all... never bounce.
You can run a LSD but do not fully lock your d35! And I did add chrome moly rear axles after the first yr, for piece of mind as I got onto tougher trails.

Brake upgrade is for stopping safety. if not daily driving your TJ on hwy... not so necessary, but still recommended. I went with Black Magic Brake rotors and pads; too new to be listed in the Boot Camp link, but an excellent choice.

W/ 33's, IMO, only upgrade I feel is needed for steering is a HD Tie Rod.
Unread 03-02-2014, 01:43 PM   #9
rikkards
Web Wheeler

1998 TJ Wrangler 

As someone who presently has 33's with 4.10s on a Danad 35 my recommendation is if you are doing 33's go 4.56. If 35's go 4.88 and pray your shafts don't break. Dana 35 won't explode on 33's if your drive right. I have been running them for almost 3 years with no issues. However I am in the midst of doing an axle swap to a Ford 8.8 because I don't want to anymore and want a locker
Also regarding braking I noticed more of a difference when I threw my metalcloaks and rear bumper on in braking distance than going from 31's to 33's.
Unread 03-02-2014, 02:06 PM   #10
Eckoh
2003 TJ Wrangler 

i have been on a dana 35 with 35s for 9 years... drive like a moron an you will break something no matter what it is... also research the super 35, you will find pretty much no-one that has run it first hand that does not say good things out it.

People always bash things they have no personal experiance with and will bash anything that is just as good but cheaper then what they went with.
Eckoh is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-02-2014, 02:31 PM   #11
JBTJ
JEEPer For Life

2001 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eckoh View Post
i have been on a dana 35 with 35s for 9 years... drive like a moron an you will break something no matter what it is... also research the super 35, you will find pretty much no-one that has run it first hand that does not say good things out it.

People always bash things they have no personal experiance with and will bash anything that is just as good but cheaper then what they went with.
Yeah, everybody always bash the D35 saying it's a turd. But, they all forget or don't know it was designed for stock 28" tires for which it does it's job. So when they push it to beyond it's design limit with larger tires, it will give you problems.
JBTJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-02-2014, 05:31 PM   #12
CETackleberry

I found a Dana 44 rear end locally for $400. It came out of a 99–04 grand Cherokee. Does anyone know how much trouble it would be to make it fit my wrangler?
Unread 03-02-2014, 05:35 PM   #13
CBTJ
1998 TJ Wrangler 

From what I've heard, the 44's out of those grands have an aluminum center section and are to be avoided as they are not strong
CBTJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-02-2014, 05:39 PM   #14
CETackleberry

Great... I thought that was too good to be true.
Unread 03-02-2014, 05:44 PM   #15
CBTJ
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Yeah sorry for the bad news.....and also the axles in the grand are a bit wider than tjs and the bolt pattern is bigger for the wheels also
CBTJ is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.