33's on a Dana 35??? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > 33's on a Dana 35???

Premium LED Lighting by VISION X, Proudly sold at ROCKRIDGBds fox ipf 2.0 racing series shocks now available at rockEngo winches available at www.rockridge4wd.com! Free shipp

Unread 01-21-2011, 06:29 PM   #1
ColdWeatherTJ
1998 TJ Wrangler 

33's on a Dana 35???

I am new to the jeep family. I have wanted a purchase a jeep for many years I finally did today. I purchased a 98 wrangler sport. I have the 4.0L and the 5 speed manual. It has the D30 front and the D35 rear. I know that the D35 can be problems.

I have searched many threads about putting larger tires on the wrangler. Many posts say that the D35 is only good to about 32 inch tires, others say 33 inch. nobody seems to state if these people are running lockers or not.

I would like to put a 33 x 10.50 or a 33 x 1250 on mine for now, but I have no problems leaving the open differential. The jeep is an extra vehicle for me and the only time it goes in 4 wheel drive is when it happens to snow alot.

I hope to do some wheeling after the jeep is built up a bit which would include a D44 for the rear, but at this time all the driving will be very mild.

So the questions stands can D35 with an open diff stand up to 33 inch tires?

Any help or info would be great.

ColdWeatherTJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-21-2011, 06:32 PM   #2
TheDirtyGeneral

Im running 33x12.50 on my open d30 and d35 and no problems but I also have 3.73 gears. your 3.07 gears will make your jeep feel like it has a lot of drag. mine already feels like its dragging a lot with the 3.73
Unread 01-21-2011, 06:32 PM   #3
JBTJ
JEEPer For Life

2001 TJ Wrangler 

If this is your daily driver and you do very little wheeling with a light foot on the gas pedal you will be fine. If not, you won't.
JBTJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-21-2011, 06:33 PM   #4
mukluk
2000 TJ Wrangler 

An open D35 can survive just fine with 33s, just be careful about your use of the skinny pedal. For added insurance, you can throw in chromoly axles.
mukluk is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-21-2011, 06:38 PM   #5
sed64ss
2001 TJ Wrangler 

I have 33s on my Dana 35 and and have no problems, other then i need to re gear, "other wise you will either be bogging everywhere or red lining it". i haven't taken it out on the trail yet so I haven't found out if the axle shafts are going to hold up or not. the way I drive we will find out real quick. but if your being mild with the jeep then i see no problems running it on the stock axles.
Unread 01-21-2011, 06:51 PM   #6
dirtyjeeptj
1998 TJ Wrangler 

I am running 33x12.50x15's on my 98 Wrangler 4.0l and 5speed trans. I have the limited slip in mine with 4:11 gears. Power and fuel economy is good with this gear ratio for me. The only problems encountered with this setup is two broken left hand axle shafts over the past 13 years. I ocassionally do some moderate to heavy wheeling at the Silver Lake Sand Dunes, and I also plow snow with it. Overall I have been pretty happy with the setup. I would recommend the gear change with the addition of the larger tires and lift, but this is just one guys opinion.
dirtyjeeptj is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-21-2011, 06:52 PM   #7
tjsooner
1998 TJ Wrangler 

As others have said take it easy on the skinny pedal and you should be fine. Every Jeep is different but most agree it's not a good idea to lock up a stock 35. I have bought stronger shafts and keep the stocks as spares. I did just buy a Super 35 kit so I should be good to go to 35's when I beef up other components.
tjsooner is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-21-2011, 06:54 PM   #8
justanotherjpr

You will be just fine with 33x12.5
justanotherjpr is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-21-2011, 06:55 PM   #9
Weeeee
2000 TJ Wrangler 

I am running 33's on a D30 / 35 with 3.73 and front locker and no issues but I am easy on the skinny pedal and I do wheel it. I do plan on going Super 35 and Superior chromo's in the front and a re-gear at some point to run 35'.
Weeeee is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-21-2011, 07:02 PM   #10
akgreenie
1999 TJ Wrangler 

I am running the same setup as dirtyjeeptj, and it worked perfectly for daily driving and the weekend adventure, until the end of last summer, when the left shaft snapped. but it's fine, mine was just worn out after years of service. the 4.11 gears are very nice for 33s, and i have since installed a Ford 8.8, which is my advice: run it carefully, and when it runs out(which takes a while), that's the sign to beef it up.

P.S.
I have had to run it pretty hard to get out of some nasty spots, and it held up through them fine. I broke my front driveshaft before my D35. haha
akgreenie is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-21-2011, 07:38 PM   #11
imlikeojnow
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Mine runs 33s with no problems so far. just got it but did a little mud run to make sure 4wd works. mine has 3.73s and lockers front and rear though
imlikeojnow is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.