33" MTR on stock tire carrier?? - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > 33" MTR on stock tire carrier??

15 x 8 Black D-Window Steel Wheels Set of 4Advance Adapters SYE KitsRIGID LED Light Blowout Sale - All Sizes, All Series, all

Unread 12-21-2005, 12:03 PM   #16
Tobey
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by SYRubi
Uh-oh, DC better not hear this, just the 245/75/16 MT/R tire alone weighs 50 lbs. It must be rated for a tad more.............
add to this the weight of the OEM rubicon wheel and i would bet you are close to 80lbs total.

does the rubicon have an uprated carrier or hinges for the tailgate?

Tobey is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-21-2005, 03:26 PM   #17
Windsor
Mobil 1, not Mobile 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tobey
add to this the weight of the OEM rubicon wheel and i would bet you are close to 80lbs total.
does the rubicon have an uprated carrier or hinges for the tailgate?
All 2003+ Jeeps have the redesigned tailgate / carrier.
Skyjacker Hydro 7000 shocks and steering stabilizer
JKS Quicker Disconnects
Tuffy glove box, full console
WARN D30 skid & Nth Degree Mobility oil pan skid
WARN front and rear Rock Crawler bumpers, winch plate and grill guard
WARN 9.5ti winch w/ Optima Blue Top D34M - X-Line rope & fairlead
KC Daylighter Slimlights on windshield
IPF H4 w/ FatBoy bulbs
Windsor is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-21-2005, 04:44 PM   #18
JFiorentino
2004 TJ Wrangler 

A 33" MTR will fit on the stock carrier, but it will cover your third brake light, and you will have to cut down or remove your bump stops. I drove around for a few months with the stock carrier with a 33x12.5 MTR mounted. I may have gone off road once or twice in that time (Nothing rough).
I recently removed the tire and discovered that my tailgate doesn't shut very well anymore. It leaves a gap big enough to slip my fingers through, and sometimes I have to slam it 2 and 3 times to get it to latch. Also, when I look at the latch, I can clearly see wear marks in the metal. I was fortunate that the sheetmetal didn't bend or that the screws didn't pull through. I know a guy where his tailgate sheetmetal gave out and it just tore. He has 6 inch gashes where the stock tire carrier used to sit.

"When approaching a four-way stop, the vehicle with the largest tires always has the right of way"

2004 TJ, Auto w/ OD, 4.0L, Off-Road 36x13.5 Super Swamper IROK's on MT Classic II Rims, SYE, CV Driveshaft, 4:56 Gears, ARB Locker, 3.5" RE Superflex, 2" Body Lift, JKS Quicker Disco's, 9,000# Winch, Toys-by-Troy step-sliders, The Source OBA. And lots more....
JFiorentino is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-21-2005, 10:13 PM   #19
rock dawg

I've been running a 35" mtr on a steel wheel for two years on my 02 TJ.
30k on road and heavy wheeling once a month. all I did was space out the rubber bumps to keep the tire from rocking. no problems so far
Maybe I'm just lucky
rock dawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-22-2005, 07:34 AM   #20
ckp_hokie

Where can I get an aftermarket tire carrier? I am just running 31's, but don't have enough lugs on the stock. Any brand recommended?
ckp_hokie is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-22-2005, 07:41 AM   #21
WR4NGLER
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeepJay3279
I ran that same setup for about 6 months. All I did was extend (or remove) the third brake light and space out the rubber bumpers. The stock carrier is fine for a short time while you save for a more robust option.

I've been offroading maybe 3-4 times since I extended the bumpers and raised the light. This includes some high speed mudding and Blue-3 rock crawling at PAP. I've been driving it for like 3-4 months this way, no problems.

I ahve 33x12.5R15 TrXus MT's.

You can extend the brake light for like $5 using some home depot hardware.

http://www.jeepguide.com/tutorial.php?id=36

EDIT: Forgot to mention that I have a 1.25" BL and 4.5" wheel backspacing.
WR4NGLER is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-22-2005, 07:46 AM   #22
WR4NGLER
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckp_hokie
Where can I get an aftermarket tire carrier? I am just running 31's, but don't have enough lugs on the stock. Any brand recommended?
My buddy just got a Jeeperman and it was fabbed incorrectly. The latch doesn't even hit the striker. I don't like it.

My other buddy has a wilderness rack, but has told me the powdercoating guy they use is bad and both his wilderness racks have started to rush.

My other OTHER buddy has a currie. It's very weak in the receiver area, can't tow with it.

My other OTHER OTHER buddy has an AtoZ Fabrication carrier. You can pretty much tell Zach what you want and he'll make it. Good stuff, is holding up great. He tows an M416 with it too, full of wood. Never had a problem. The bumper is more than solid. He's landed on rocks with it before, naturally dinged it, but it's hardcore. The carrier my friend had Zach design is awesome. Very strong. The hinge is rated high and the latch he got with it is a screw in, which would be my very first choice as others I've seen blow open on the trail.

www.AtoZFabrication.com
Unread 12-22-2005, 07:51 AM   #23
loudog3114

nylon strap it into the back seat when you wheel.
loudog3114 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-22-2005, 07:56 AM   #24
WR4NGLER
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by loudog3114
nylon strap it into the back seat when you wheel.
That works too, my friend just ratcheted his to the rear floor. Lost a ton of room though and the car smelled like rubber all the time.
Unread 12-22-2005, 08:51 AM   #25
ckp_hokie

What about for street use? Nylon strap is a bit Jed Clampett.
Unread 12-22-2005, 09:00 AM   #26
WR4NGLER
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
What about for street use? Nylon strap is a bit Jed Clampett.
Throw it on the stock carrier for a few months until you get an aftermarket carrier.

I don't think there's much of a choice. I mean, if you don't care and want to gamble, just LEAVE it on the stock carrier til you start to notice something.

EDIT: My 3rd light extension cost me $5 and the piece of wood I used to extend the bumpers cost me $0.50.
Unread 12-22-2005, 09:24 AM   #27
ckp_hokie

Quote:
Originally Posted by WR4NGLER
Throw it on the stock carrier for a few months until you get an aftermarket carrier.

I don't think there's much of a choice. I mean, if you don't care and want to gamble, just LEAVE it on the stock carrier til you start to notice something.

EDIT: My 3rd light extension cost me $5 and the piece of wood I used to extend the bumpers cost me $0.50.

Whats the name of the aftermarket carrier? Not the swing type, maybe just an additonal thing that I can attach to clear the light and have more than 1" of lug? Where did you get the light extension. Thanks.

Sorry for the hi-jack original poster.
Unread 12-22-2005, 09:29 AM   #28
WR4NGLER
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Wr
Quote:
Whats the name of the aftermarket carrier? Not the swing type, maybe just an additonal thing that I can attach to clear the light and have more than 1" of lug? Where did you get the light extension. Thanks.

Sorry for the hi-jack original poster.
Read my previous posts for information on tire carriers. I prefer:

www.atozfabrication.com

To extend the light:

Go to home depot, buy 4 longer bolts and 4 coupler nuts that are liek 1.5" long and BIGGER than the bolts, so they can slide right over.

Tutorial: http://www.jeepguide.com/tutorial.php?id=36

Unread 12-22-2005, 09:42 AM   #29
ckp_hokie

Gotcha. Thanks!
Unread 12-22-2005, 12:12 PM   #30
bradleyfitz

Quote:
Whats the name of the aftermarket carrier? Not the swing type, maybe just an additonal thing that I can attach to clear the light and have more than 1" of lug?
I cut the lugs off the stock carrier, dropped some new ones in (longer), and had a shop weld 'em to the carrier. Cost? $3.
98 Sahara, hp44/hp60, warn 5x5.5 premium hub conversion, 4.88, arb's, hydro assist, RE 4.5 SF /w 3.5 springs, Novak / Teraflex SS SYE, currie anti-rock, JKS 1.25" BL, 36" bias iroks, PSC Tube fenders /w 3" flare, PSC Ricochet Rockers, custom rear bumper, btf front bumper / winch plate, warn 9.5ti, full cage, TwistedStitch seats, RCI-2161a fuel cell
bradleyfitz is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.