Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner

32RH shudders, slips, and stalls

3K views 11 replies 3 participants last post by  seabass2020 
#1 ·
2001 TJ with the 32RH and 4.0. This is my first jeep with an automatic transmission. When I first start it up, it seems to do ok, but after it's warmed up everytime i put it in reverse, it kills the engine and feels almost like a manual transmission left in gear. It will sometimes shudder after slowing down and then speeding back up. Also, i'm not sure but it may feel like the transmission is slipping. Again, my first auto so I'm not sure what normal feels like. Also, it has 33" tires, and I believe the stock gears are 3.07 so the acceleration is terrible. I'm not sure if it's normally that slow, or if the transmission is diminishing that.

After reading several threads, I adjusted the TV cable. I also checked the fluid level after it was warm, and did so in neutral. The fluid level was good, in addition, the fluid appeared to be reddish/pink. It looked like there may have been specs of metal in there, but not completely sure. Any advice would really be appreciated.

#5 ·
Unplug the electrical connector near the shift lever and TV lever and see if it still stalls. Put it in drive first and see if it stalls, then try reverse. Sounds like a stuck lockup solenoid.

#8 ·
Update:
The problem with stalling in reverse was due to the cooler being plugged up. After running an aftermarket cooler instead of the OEM through the radiator, it shifts into reverse with no problem now.

Also the clutches were completely warn, so the transmission was rebuilt including a new torque converter.

#9 ·
Update:
The problem with stalling in reverse was due to the cooler being plugged up. After running an aftermarket cooler instead of the OEM through the radiator, it shifts into reverse with no problem now.

Also the clutches were completely warn, so the transmission was rebuilt including a new torque converter.
The OEM cooler for the transmission was plugged up?... :confused:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.