31's and rear tire carrier bumpers - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > 31's and rear tire carrier bumpers

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineJK Vent Covers - NalinMFGRing & Pinion's, Lockers, 4340 Axles, Install Kits, Ba

Unread 02-24-2005, 06:18 AM   #1
kaybone
1999 TJ Wrangler 

31's and rear tire carrier bumpers

So when putting a 31x10.5 with 4.5 Backspacing, black rockcrawler wheel on the stock rear carrier what do you have to do? Do you add more to the rubber bumper thingys, cut them down thinner, or are the just right?

Gun Metal Blue Jeep Club Member #99
kaybone is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-24-2005, 06:56 AM   #2
onlyone
2014 JK Wrangler 

31's should fit fine on your tire carrier.
Unread 02-24-2005, 07:41 AM   #3
kaybone
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by onlyone
31's should fit fine on your tire carrier.
Did you do anything with the rubber thingies?
Gun Metal Blue Jeep Club Member #99
kaybone is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-24-2005, 07:41 AM   #4
Joe-K

I had to cut my Rubber bumpers down by about 1/2" as the wheel studs on the tire carrier were too short to reach through the spare tire wheel. That was with 31x10.5 tires on the stock 15x7 steelies. I couldn't get the lug nuts on to hold the wheel

Now I just picked up a set of 15x7 MT classic wheels with 3 1/2 BS and I'll most likely have to extend the black bumpers since the wheel will be further out
Joe-K is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-24-2005, 08:06 AM   #5
doubleA

i have 31 x 10.5 on my stock carrier and have no problems with it at all. if it doesn't fit just shave back those bumper stops and it will fit.
2" RE BB
1" M.O.R.E. Body Lift
XD9000i Warn Winch
Lockright Rear Lockers
Dual Optima Batteries
Mean Green Alternator
Rancho Steering Stabilizer
doubleA is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-24-2005, 08:34 AM   #6
ColoradoTJ
2012 JK Wrangler 

I have 31x10.5's on my stock carrier but mounted on stock wheels. It's a tight fit, with that much back spacing you will need to cut the rubber stops or get longer bolts.

Colorado Jeep Club Member #60

My Jeep

"If we weren't all crazy we would go insane" J.B.
ColoradoTJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-24-2005, 03:36 PM   #7
davenjeip

I run 31x10.5's on stock Canyons. With my backspacing, my problems were worse than yours would be.

They would not allow my tailgate to close completely so I just removed the lower bumpstop under the tailgate.

I will add that the tailgates and tire carriers seem different on different Jeeps. I was at a meeting spot for a ride i was going on and we started comparing spare tires on different Jeeps. I was amazed to see that, even with same sized tires, some only missed the bumper by a hair and some had an inch or more of clearance. This was all with stock carriers and stock bumpers.

www.davenjeip.com
davenjeip is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-24-2005, 05:59 PM   #8
Penuche

Quote:
Originally Posted by davenjeip

I will add that the tailgates and tire carriers seem different on different Jeeps. I was at a meeting spot for a ride i was going on and we started comparing spare tires on different Jeeps. I was amazed to see that, even with same sized tires, some only missed the bumper by a hair and some had an inch or more of clearance. This was all with stock carriers and stock bumpers.
I second that - i've got the same setup as you and i've had no issue keeping the wheel on the carrier, and i've got about 3/4 inch between bumper and bottom of tire. Go figure!
Unread 02-24-2005, 06:34 PM   #9
Ludoc

If the rubber stops are not touching the tire, do you recommend extending them? And if you do recommend extending them, any suggestions like washers or something cheap? Im running 31x10.5x15s on American Racing Bursts.
[size=+1][color=red][b][FONT=times new roman][u]RED 04' TJ - 2.4[/FONT][/b][/color][/size][/u] [color=black][b][font=times new roman]4 In Lift, 31" Courser M/Ts, 4.56 gears, JKS Discos, Aussie Auto Locker[/font][/color][/b]
Just a basic Jeep... nothing special.
Ludoc is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.