318 Motor Swap-No Turning Back Now

51K views 203 replies 44 participants last post by  Black Hills TJ 
#1 ·
Picked up a 318 out of a 96 Dodge for 200 bucks

Complete with harness even!

See less See more
#2 ·
Then I pulled the tiny little 2.5 out of its hiding place...AX5, NP231, and all

Exhaust is overrated. Will probably keep the cat and scrap the rest.

No need for the radiator anymore

#5 ·
Driveshafts...

Transfer case will mount back into the stock location allowing me to keep the stock front driveshaft. To keep this build on a budget, I'll be pulling a front driveshaft out of an XJ and shortening it for the rear to use with the SYE.

#6 ·
Motor work...

Previous owner said he was driving and the oil pressure dropped so he shut her down and towed it the last couple miles home. From what I've read, it could be as simple as a clogged pickup or something easy. I'm going to pull the pan and probably replace the rod and main bearings.

Cracked heads seem to be a problem with the 318/360, so I plan on pulling the heads and getting them checked. I may have a simple port/polish job done on them while they are out.

Cam shaft. Its highly likely that I will replace the cam, but we will see what the funds allow.

In order to keep the tcase in the stock location and retain my driveshafts, I'll be using Summit's block hugger headers so I can scoot the block closer to the firewall. I plan on building my own motor mounts. The AA mounts are nice, but I'm on a budget and 150 seems a little steep.

#7 ·
Wiring...

Wiring could be a bit of a tedious task, but it shouldn't be bad. I'm in touch with a couple people that have done the swap, and it sounds like the wiring appears more discouraging than it should be. I have some experience wiring things up, so I don't foresee it being a problem at all.

#8 ·
Here's where I'm at right now.

200 for a trans
200 for the motor
200 for the tcase

Sold my motor/trans/tcase for 500, so I'm only down 100 at the moment. And as far as time goes, it took me half a day to yank the stock drivetrain by myself. Now I just need to start ordering some parts and tear the 318 down to make sure everything looks okay.

#11 ·
I did the same swap in my 98 with the 5.9. You are going to love the power! Also I found the swap radiator on ebay for 230.00 shipped, it's direct bolt in and made in the usa. The grand v8 fan works great with the factory 6cyl shroud as well. The 03 od switch is great too. It fits right in the dash knockout and looks factory.

#13 ·
Thanks for the heads up! The radiator that you used, does it have a tranny cooler as well?

I plan on ditching the mechanical fan and just running an electric. What do you think?

#16 ·
Couple notes on suspension. Due to the increased wait up front, I may either jump to 4.5" coils in the front instead of my 3.5" coils, or simply use some coil spacers. I'm also considering a 1" body lift to give me some more room to work. The fenders will be coming off and I'll be doing DIY highlines.

#21 ·
Part of what helped me decide to do the 318 swap instead of a 4.0 and stroking it or anything, was the price for one. The 318 will be a lot cheaper than stroking a 4.0. My buddy just finished stroking his 4.0 to 4.6, and I think he ended up around 3k into it. Comparing the gains of stroking a 4.0 to just swapping the 318 in, I'll have more power, better torque, and my wallet will complain less!

#23 ·
#26 ·
not that it really matters, but, if it was me doing this id take the time now while everything is out to clean up and maybe paint the engine bay and the skid(if reusing any way) you took out.*im sure it goes without saying to clean up the new drive train parts.

#32 ·
Those 318s are great engines. I had one in my 95 Dodge Ram. When I sold it in 07, then engine was still running strong and smooth with no work ever having to be done on it. The trans on the other hand is why I'll never buy another automatic again...

#38 ·
Great holy crap, Mike! :eyebulge:

I'll be watching this siiiick action take place. If you'd waited long enough, I could have hooked you up with an engine and trans out of a 96 grand :shhh:
I'm not mcfluffing around anymore mcduff!

#39 ·
Have not looked into it yet but will the dodge 318 whith the dodge auto tranny and transfer case all fit in also will be getting the front and rear axle out of same truck I have some1 to shorten axles to where i want them. My ? Is will it all work or should i go another way with this I can get every thing for 500

#40 ·
It'll fit. The dodge drivetrain was also used in the Grand, and both vehicles used an NP231 just like the TJ. The auto trans is a little longer than the AX5 or AX15, but it all fits inside without any troubles. Mock it up, weld your motor mounts, bolt her in!

#41 ·
K thanks. Looks like il be goin to try to get everything tmrw How r u planing on runnin the computer system Is the a computer tht runs the engine tht will let the jeep harness plug into for the dash wiring Havent looked yet under hood. Since i just found out about the parts.

#42 ·
From what I've read, there should be ~15 splices that need to be made between the 318 Harness and the Jeep harness. Then everything will play nicely together. You have to make sure the motor and computer aren't from a vehicle with the electronic key though, otherwise the motor will not run due to the security programming.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.