315/75/r16 vs 285/75/r16 on Rubi Moab Wheels fit? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > 315/75/r16 vs 285/75/r16 on Rubi Moab Wheels fit?

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineThe ULTIMATE "Selectable" Locker System! BroughFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye Kit

Unread 08-16-2012, 07:58 AM   #1
emart
2000 TJ Wrangler 

315/75/r16 vs 285/75/r16 on Rubi Moab Wheels fit?

Im sure this question has been asked before, but I have been looking into and haven't found anything conclusive.

I currently have 33x12.5xr15 BFG TA/KO's on my Wrangler. I have a 4" lift and almost everything done to this that would need upgraded as far as adding a 35" tire to it. My question is will I be able to fit the 315/75/r16 tire on my vehicle without adding spacers? I recently bought 5 Rubi moab wheels (16") and am buying new tires. I am buying the treadwrights, but wasnt sure if I ordered the 315's, if I would have any rubbing. Does anyone have any experience with this size tire/lift combo? The specs from Treadwright only show a 1 lb difference between the 285's and 315's and a little over an inch more of actual height and width. I feel like they should fit.

Thanks in advance for the help, and I love pics if anyone has any with this set up.

‎2000 Jeep Wranger Sahara. 36,500 miles, 4.0l, 6-cylinder, Automatic. Hard top, soft top, and bikini safari top. 4" Teraflex lift and suspension all around, rock guards, custom front end, hitch, safari rack, 9000lb Warn wench, vinyl aftermarket seats. Front and rear air lockers. Kenwood DVD, stereo, and custom sub enclosure. Stereo sound bar.
emart is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-16-2012, 08:14 AM   #2
Benderff

2006 TJ Wrangler 

The 285's on Moab rims will rub a little even when the axle is perfectly centered. 315's will rub a lot without spacers. Be careful with the load range of those tires. The side walls can be heavy/stiff which really helps make for a ****ty ride.
Unread 08-16-2012, 08:53 AM   #3
Sundowner
Part-Time Swami

2003 TJ Wrangler 

You're fine on lift as far as clearance is concerned...I've got 2.5" plus a 1" BL and I run the 315/75R16 Falkens. However, you will need spacers in either case - with either tire size - to eliminate rubbing, and you'll need to adjust your steering stops. The big issue that you'll have is uptravel on your front tires; you need to either start thinking about how you'd like to high-line the fenders, or you need to bumpstop the **** out the spring perches...and now that I think about it, you'll actually need to go ahead and do both of those things if you want your suspension to actually work. Once you have the tires mounted, set the air pressure at about 23 lbs, cold...anything more than that and you start getting a jarring ride in the front.

The Republic of Dave: Bringing you the finest in simian testing supplies.

The build, the gear, and the mileage: The Wasteland Survival Guide
Sundowner is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-16-2012, 09:00 AM   #4
Eatlessdirt
2006 TJ Wrangler 

I'm running 305/70 R16s on a 4" lift and 1.5" spacers with no rubbing issues at all. I will tell you that the the tires really stuff into the wheel wells at full flex. If you're going the size up, I second Sundowners comments about the fenders.
Eatlessdirt is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-16-2012, 10:14 AM   #5
Punisher8738
2006 LJ Wrangler 

Before I swapped wheels I had 315 Discoverer STT om stock moabs. Rubbed at full turn but washers placed on the steering stops fixed that..
Punisher8738 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-16-2012, 12:59 PM   #6
Fingers302

2006 LJ Wrangler 

I've got 315 STTs on stock Rubi wheels - I used 1.25" spacers in the front and nothing in the rear. Your rear axle will need to be very centered because without any spacers it is close, but mine havent rubbed.

1.25" WHEEL spacers. The other spacers in my sig are spring spacers.

"You can have things, or you can have kids, but you cant have kids and things because they will rat your sh*t!"

06 LJ Rubicon, OME HD springs, 2" spacers front, 1.5" spacer rear, Bilstein 5100s, Currie Anti-Rock on front, Currie control arms, 315/75 Coopers, UFC Ultra Clearance TT and Engine skids, in aluminum of course ;), bumpers and winch....Oh, and a pool ball shifter. That's good for at least 5 more hp....at the crank at least.

Support your local chapter of the Nam Knights Motorcycle Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanmy1412 View Post
I got home late last night and was just playing with it a bit .... took it out and it was noticeably stiffer ... my hand actually got tired from the effort

Last edited by Fingers302; 08-16-2012 at 01:00 PM.. Reason: accuracy
Fingers302 is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-16-2012, 03:43 PM   #7
emart
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fingers302 View Post
I've got 315 STTs on stock Rubi wheels - I used 1.25" spacers in the front and nothing in the rear. Your rear axle will need to be very centered because without any spacers it is close, but mine havent rubbed.

1.25" WHEEL spacers. The other spacers in my sig are spring spacers.
Great, thank you for all the info. I guess I will try the 1.25" spacers and go ahead and get the 315's. I guess the only thing i was worried about was rubbing on the outside lip of the fender with the spacers on there. It sounds like I should be ok though. Just makes me nervous ordering tires online and have them possibly not fit...
‎2000 Jeep Wranger Sahara. 36,500 miles, 4.0l, 6-cylinder, Automatic. Hard top, soft top, and bikini safari top. 4" Teraflex lift and suspension all around, rock guards, custom front end, hitch, safari rack, 9000lb Warn wench, vinyl aftermarket seats. Front and rear air lockers. Kenwood DVD, stereo, and custom sub enclosure. Stereo sound bar.
Unread 08-16-2012, 06:56 PM   #8
Sundowner
Part-Time Swami

2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by emart
Great, thank you for all the info. I guess I will try the 1.25" spacers and go ahead and get the 315's. I guess the only thing i was worried about was rubbing on the outside lip of the fender with the spacers on there. It sounds like I should be ok though. Just makes me nervous ordering tires online and have them possibly not fit...
They'll fit... but if you want to control them you'd better get ready to spend a lot more money.

The Republic of Dave: Bringing you the finest in simian testing supplies.

The build, the gear, and the mileage: The Wasteland Survival Guide
Sundowner is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-21-2012, 07:14 AM   #9
Fingers302

2006 LJ Wrangler 

They will stick outside the fender flares, but the lift keeps them off. Its a no-go if they rub on the inside side wall against the spring perch.

"You can have things, or you can have kids, but you cant have kids and things because they will rat your sh*t!"

06 LJ Rubicon, OME HD springs, 2" spacers front, 1.5" spacer rear, Bilstein 5100s, Currie Anti-Rock on front, Currie control arms, 315/75 Coopers, UFC Ultra Clearance TT and Engine skids, in aluminum of course ;), bumpers and winch....Oh, and a pool ball shifter. That's good for at least 5 more hp....at the crank at least.

Support your local chapter of the Nam Knights Motorcycle Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanmy1412 View Post
I got home late last night and was just playing with it a bit .... took it out and it was noticeably stiffer ... my hand actually got tired from the effort
Fingers302 is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-21-2012, 09:35 AM   #10
tommyduncan
2005 TJ Wrangler 

I'm running 285/75/16s on Moab wheels. When I had a 2" front spring spacer they would rub at full turn in both directions in the front. I could never feel the rears rub but they left a mark on the fender wells so I guess they did at full stuff.
Now with a 4" lift and no wheel spacers they don't rub at all.
My spare is a 305/70/16. I'm curious if it will rub but they I haven't tried it yet.

Person 1: Use the search function.

Person 2: Do it right and get the Savvy kit.

Person 3: STFU you Savvy nutswingers. I wheel my RC kit like hell and it flexes like a boneless chicken.

Person 4: ?????

Then the rest goes on supporting one of the 4 and a fight ensues between a few because someone cries and becomes butthurt.

The end.[/QUOTE]
tommyduncan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-21-2012, 12:43 PM   #11
emart
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by tommyduncan View Post
I'm running 285/75/16s on Moab wheels. When I had a 2" front spring spacer they would rub at full turn in both directions in the front. I could never feel the rears rub but they left a mark on the fender wells so I guess they did at full stuff.
Now with a 4" lift and no wheel spacers they don't rub at all.
My spare is a 305/70/16. I'm curious if it will rub but they I haven't tried it yet.
Im supposed to have them shipped next week. I went with the 285's just to be safe. I really wanted the 315's but I think this is the safer route. I will update once I get them installed.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.