31" spare on 4" offset steel wheel - already tried search - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > 31" spare on 4" offset steel wheel - already tried search

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line~Artec JK 1 TON SWAP~Advance Adapters SYE Kits

Unread 02-20-2008, 06:25 PM   #1
redsoxski
2006 LJ Wrangler 

31" spare on 4" offset steel wheel - already tried search

I'll be putting on a set of 31" BFG ATs 15 X 10.5 on black steelies with a 4" offset. My question is - with this offset will I have any trouble mounting the spare on the stock carrier. I read the gazillion posts on 31" spares but couldn't find any talk about a 4" offset wheel. A few ID'd offset wheels as possibly requiring some mod to the rubber bumpers but they didn't specify the degree of the offset. Thanks for the help...

redsoxski is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-20-2008, 06:38 PM   #2
CrunchTJ
1997 TJ Wrangler 

My 33x12.5 on a 15x10 with 4" backspacing wouldn't fit on the stock carrier. There wasn't enough thread on the lugs to get the nuts on, and it was hitting the bumper. I had to buy an extension (then strapped it down with a ratchet strap because it bounced all over the place). Hated the extension, and finally replaced it with a bumper/tire carrier recently.

It's not a 31, but similar as the BS and the wheel size are the same as yours. Hope maybe that helps.

Try it and see. If it doesn't work, the extension is not that expensive.
CrunchTJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-20-2008, 06:40 PM   #3
92icbm
2000 TJ Wrangler 

no problem

I have a 31x10.5x15 SSR on a cragar rim with 4" BS. It fits the stock spare tire carrier just fine. I didn't even have to space the 3rd brake light to clear it.
Unread 02-20-2008, 06:47 PM   #4
92icbm
2000 TJ Wrangler 

oops, I just noticed you asked about a 15x10. I doubt that would fit.
Unread 02-20-2008, 06:50 PM   #5
CrunchTJ
1997 TJ Wrangler 

I think the 10.5 was for the tire width, not the wheel. I think 'I' was confused. He's probably in good shape, assuming the wheel is 8" or less.
CrunchTJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-20-2008, 07:00 PM   #6
redsoxski
2006 LJ Wrangler 

Sorry - its a 15 X 8" wheel with 4" offset
redsoxski is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-20-2008, 07:07 PM   #7
TOP HVY
1998 TJ Wrangler 

With steel wheels you shouldn't have a problem. If it were an alloy wheel you would, as the alloy wheel is much thicker which would cause you to run out of threads.

_______
--(O|||||||O)--

White Jeep Club Member #93
TOP HVY is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-20-2008, 07:35 PM   #8
Death_Valley_TJ
1998 TJ Wrangler 

4" of backspacing is 4" from rear of rim to the hub mounting surface. So it doesn't much matter the width of the wheel. If the tire gets too wide then that is a different story. I had 31x10.50x15 BFG AT/TA mounted on alloy 15x7's with 3.75 bs and it fit fine. The stock wheels have more backspacing than your steelies. The rub comes with the 3rd brake light. At the most you may need a coulple of washers to lift the light a little.
Death_Valley_TJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-21-2008, 03:09 PM   #9
JoeyOPA
2002 TJ Wrangler 

I have the same exact setup. No problems. Works fine.
JoeyOPA is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.