304 swap or Stroker kit - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > 304 swap or Stroker kit

Spartan Locker Promo Running now @ ROCKRIDGE 4WD plus FREEG2 Disc Brake Conversion Kit for Jeep Wrangler YJ TJ LJ ChTJ Wrangler 4" Rough Country Suspension Lift Kits in

Unread 08-10-2010, 07:50 PM   #1
rinoz10
2003 TJ Wrangler 

304 swap or Stroker kit

Sorry if this is a dead horse, I did a search on here and didn't find much. I can get a AMC 304 really cheap would that be better than doing a stroker kit? Also has anyone done the 304 swap?

rinoz10 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-10-2010, 08:03 PM   #2
cpleasant
2002 TJ Wrangler 

Check your emission laws. Odds are that the 304 won't be legal.
I know your rite I seid the dealer seid the same thing as you and that I don't want them there , but I was asking another qeustin as in what do I do about the slots in the brackets couse if I just put a bolt in there it will slide back and fourth but again thank you all knowing and powerfull jeep god sorry us lesser jeep peeons might have some more qeustins in the future , so please if there to much for you sit back relax go to the next post
cpleasant is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-10-2010, 08:20 PM   #3
chris142
2002 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpleasant View Post
Check your emission laws. Odds are that the 304 won't be legal.
x2. Plus I don't think a 304 would be a good choice over the 4.0L. A 360 or 401 is the same size as a 304 and would be a better choice.
chris142 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-10-2010, 08:56 PM   #4
RickyR
2004 LJ Wrangler 

You won't find any company offering an engine/transmission mount for a TJ/AMC swap.
How do I know? I put a 401 in my LJ

If your state has any type of emissions inspection program, I doubt it will pass.

A 304 sounds a lot better than a 4.0, but in reality the 4.0 is much more durable and is already fuel injected.

Cheap isn't always the best way to go. For me, I already had the entire running gear from my CJ (engine, trans, tcase, and axles). and it still cost me mucho dinero. One thing always leads to another......

If that doesn't scare you, start collecting parts and dollar bills. The AMC engines will bolt to the Jeep stuff, but newer jeep stuff won't hold up to too much abuse.

Good luck, Ricky
RickyR is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-10-2010, 09:29 PM   #5
Sundowner
Scourge of Monkeys

2003 TJ Wrangler 

Stroker, if you have to have it in the first place. Better to spend your money on gears, suspension and ground clearance, though...

The Republic of Dave: Bringing you the finest in simian testing supplies.

The build, the gear, and the mileage: The Wasteland Survival Guide
Sundowner is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-10-2010, 09:30 PM   #6
WILLY348
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Stroker all the way man.. why take a step back in time
WILLY348 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-10-2010, 11:28 PM   #7
LJameson
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Stroker. I have a 304 and a 4.0 equipped Jeeps in my driveway and the 4.0 would run circles around the 304.
Unread 08-11-2010, 12:07 AM   #8
Wheelin98TJ
JEEP FREAK

1998 TJ Wrangler 

Ohio does not have smog laws.

I can't imagine a 4.0 I6 ever running better than a 304.

Every 304 I have ever drove or owned has run much better than all the 4.0 I6 motors I have owned.

The big downside with the 304 is the carb.
Unread 08-11-2010, 12:13 AM   #9
fratis

1991 YJ Wrangler 

bazaar ive had the opposite expereince. the 304 always needed something and it was a dog of a v8. ive done nothing to the 4.0 in 15 years. cant imagine ever going back to a carb offroad.
fratis is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-11-2010, 10:17 PM   #10
rinoz10
2003 TJ Wrangler 

I guess what it will really come down to then will be if its hard to find parts for the 304, thanks for the insight guys!
rinoz10 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-11-2010, 10:22 PM   #11
pmccoy9876
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wheelin98TJ View Post
Ohio does not have smog laws.

I can't imagine a 4.0 I6 ever running better than a 304.

Every 304 I have ever drove or owned has run much better than all the 4.0 I6 motors I have owned.

The big downside with the 304 is the carb.
It depends on what county in Ohio you live in. Medina county (where I live) has a required e-check using your OBD II port every 2 years, therefore I could not do this swap. Cuyahoga county (Friend in Strongsville) has no e-check, so you could (probably) legally do the swap. That's definitely something to check out with your county before you pull the trigger on the 304.

As for the "V8 vs. 4.0" debate, I can't say, having never driven a 304, but I will say my little brother's 305 camaro isn't that impressive to me as far as V8s go. I know of several V6 cars that would handily outperform it. But then again, it does sound great, being a V8 and all. At the end of the day, I'd say spend the money elsewhere, like lockers, if you already have it and wheel it.
Are you insane? Do you have any idea how many slip-and-fall accidents are caused by carelessly discarded banana peels? This is a crime of Vaudevillian proportions and must not be tolerated in a civilized society.
Quote:
Originally Posted by RyanCJ2A View Post
I have no input of any value to this thread but those are awesome.
'No Solution' Build Thread
pmccoy9876 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-11-2010, 11:00 PM   #12
Wheelin98TJ
JEEP FREAK

1998 TJ Wrangler 

I never knew that about the Ohio localities in regards to smog laws.

It makes perfect sense though since Ohio has so many other laws that are specific to the locality. I should have excersied more care when I made that previous incorrect comment.

Thanks for correcting me so politely and for pointing this out.

I'm also thinking more about the 304 V8 and those I have experience with were not stock motors.

Maybe I should check out of this thread.
Unread 08-11-2010, 11:06 PM   #13
Fropleyqk
1999 TJ Wrangler 

My last CJ5 had a 304 in it. It sounded great and was trouble free but was a dog of a V8. I would definitely recommend against it. Its going to take a lot of $$$ to make that work. You could build a CJ around the 304 for around the same cost of swapping it into your TJ. If there's nothing wrong with your 4.0, spend the money elsewhere. Jeeps arent hotrods.

Tags
304 , engine swap , stroker

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.