300 ford inline 6 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > 300 ford inline 6

Jeep Wrangler Bushwacker Flat Fender Flare Sale at BaselinRIGID LED Light Blowout Sale - All Sizes, All Series, all Baseline 4x4 Lifetime Warranty 4340 Chromoly Axle Shaft Ki

Unread 04-24-2010, 03:43 PM   #1
joeskyline06
2002 TJ Wrangler 

300 ford inline 6

i have a 02 TJ and it is my dd, ive always been a ford man and am just getting into jeeps. As i was cleaning out my work shop i realized i have a old ford 300 I6 which is only 2 cubic inches away from a v8 and they have unbelievable power for a I6, my question is, has ANYONE done, or seen a TJ with a 300 dropped in it? if so could you give me an idea of the cost of doing that and what all id have to replace?

joeskyline06 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-24-2010, 04:03 PM   #2
never monday
1997 TJ Wrangler 

why replace a 242 with a 300?

and you know there was a 262 V8 IIRC
Unread 04-24-2010, 04:05 PM   #3
littledevilTJ
2004 TJ Wrangler 

i bet youll never see it.... for a reason.

Florida Specific Forum
www.floridajeepers.net
littledevilTJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-24-2010, 04:10 PM   #4
LJameson
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Not worth the work for less horsepower and only 20 more ft lbs.

-Chris LeDoux

I never could figure what the sky was thinking, but the soil, she don't keep too many secrets.
LJameson is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-24-2010, 04:11 PM   #5
Kenbo-Slice
1998 TJ Wrangler 

The I6 300's were torque monsters. In fact, If I'm not mistaken, they had a few more ft.lbs than a stock 302 5.0L v8. They weren't bad motors at all..... I just don't know if it would be beneficial to toss into a TJ. What year is the motor? it would probably be a pain in the *** to get it to meet emissions standards swapped into the Jeep. I thought the computer, motor and body all needed to be the same year or else you have to jump through hoops to get them legal.
Kenbo-Slice is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-24-2010, 04:15 PM   #6
BlueFlame
2003 TJ Wrangler 

That was indeed an exceptionally good motor, durable as hell.
But as far I know, most were carbureted, and most importantly, the most horsepower they ever made was 150 even in the FI motors.
So why would you want to replace a 195hp Fuel Injected motor with it?

The last of them with FI were
150hp 260lbs torque

So that's not much more torque than the 4.0 but less power.
And it was one of the old engines loaded down with add-on smog crap, whereas the 4.0 is more modern.

Emssions/model year for engine swaps depends on the state. (no such regs here in Oregon)
BlueFlame is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-24-2010, 04:20 PM   #7
daveg13
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by littledevilTJ View Post
i bet youll never see it.... for a reason.
^^^ Bingo!
daveg13 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-24-2010, 04:23 PM   #8
ohtenwillys
2005 TJ Wrangler 

351!
its gonna be sick
ohtenwillys is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-25-2010, 12:12 PM   #9
joeskyline06
2002 TJ Wrangler 

well, im thinking about buying one of the fuel injected ones instead of the carb. one i have now. as for all the people who say its a bad idea, i have seen f150s with 300 I6s go places and do things that jeeps just could not do. as for a V8 thats a no go, way to heavy and im not a V8 fan, if i do end up buying a motor i will completely redo the top and bottom end and try to squeeze every bit of power i can out of it.
joeskyline06 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-25-2010, 01:11 PM   #10
MattTheMudder
Ask Mr. Owl

1999 TJ Wrangler 

There are a lot of good engine swaps to put in a TJ. But the 4.0L I6 is a very good engine. I've got to ask myself every time I see a swap: is it worth it? Take out the 4.0L to swap in a Ford 300? I wouldn't. They're both powerful/torquey and very reliable. If you had a 2.5L and wanted something more powerful, I could see going with a 300.
Unread 04-25-2010, 01:16 PM   #11
daveg13
1999 TJ Wrangler 

The cost and headache of doing the swap for so little benefit doesn't make sense. If you want to do it just to do it, then knock yourself out. Dropping a stroker in that bolts right up makes much more sense.
daveg13 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-25-2010, 01:16 PM   #12
BlueFlame
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by joeskyline06 View Post
i have seen f150s with 300 I6s go places and do things that jeeps just could not do.

Now that's funny.

Unless you mean haul sheets of plywood - I'll give you that!
BlueFlame is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-25-2010, 01:24 PM   #13
-BeNt-
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Wait, you want to throw in a 300 and build the bottom and top end to gain some power etc??? Maybe I'm lost but why don't you just sink that money into the 4.0 end up with higher numbers, better gas mileage, emission legal and no headache getting everything to work together.

And your quote about seeing Ford F-150's with 300's do more things than a Jeep could ever do.....what exactly would that be? Pulling trailers? I had an F100 short wheel base 4x4 with a 300 carbed in it, and my 98 Wrangler far surpassed it offroad, but doing things around a farm is a different story because of the bed and tow capacity on the F-100 vs. the wrangler.

But then again maybe I'm lost.
-BeNt- is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-25-2010, 01:53 PM   #14
5-90
1988 XJ Cherokee 

The Cleveland six is one of the very short list of Ford engines I like (the others being the Falcon six, the 289ci Windsor V8, and the "Windsor V4" - the Saab Sonnet used the front half of the 289ci V8 as a V4, and that thing was a rocket!)

The only real problem you'd have with the Cleveland six as a swap is that the engine is tall. Of course, this is what makes it such a torque beast - the tall block accommodates a longer stroke and longer rods, akin to the Chrysler Slant six. However, the Chrysler would be easier to install, due to the 30* tilt of the bore axis.

I wouldn't even try it in a unibody. It would be an interesting project in a frame-and-box, but I can almost bet you're going to need a body lift in anything Jeep...
Unread 04-25-2010, 03:21 PM   #15
Unlimited04
This post/info=my opinion

2004 LJ Wrangler 

the 300 Ford I-6 is a damn good engine. another tractor motor similar to the Jeep 4.0L. but honestly, for the effort, money and work you'll put into getting the 300 in, you might as well do a Jeep 4.6L stroker...you'll have more hp, more torque and all your stock gizmos will still work.
Unlimited04 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.