3 questions with easy answers !?! - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > 3 questions with easy answers !?!

Savvy Billet LED Tail LightsLight up the holidays with LED lights from JeepHutIntroducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 10-01-2008, 06:05 AM   #1
jeep2008
2004 TJ Wrangler 

3 questions with easy answers !?!

1)i ordered some Adjustable Rear Cam Bolts from 4wd.can you tell me their use?i mean installing them is easy but how would you know how much to adjust if at all your differential angle?i have a re 2'' bb and a tc 1'' drop from ome but i still have some slight vibe at certain cases and speed.will these help at all? 2)are the front lower arms the same as the back lower arms in the tj?i have these in the front http://www.rubiconexpress.com/Produc...=687DEA7556458 can i use these also for the rear? 3)i've ordered these http://www.quadratec.com/products/56214_100.htm to upgrade my brakes and my faded pads.are they any good,noise ,dust etc?anyone have them? thats it!!thank you

No Jeep right now
04TJ (SOLD)
01TJ (SOLD)
jeep2008 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-01-2008, 06:23 AM   #2
robncar
2005 TJ Wrangler 

1. I wouldn't use cam bolts in an attempt to remove driveline vibes. You have to slot your control arm mounts. Not worth it for the limited adjustment you'll get. I'd try a couple washers with the t-case drop. Next, perhaps a 1" MML.

2. The RE3705 on a TJ is front and rear.

3. Seems like many folks are liking the Centric Rotors and EBC "Yellow Stuff" pads for the front. For the rear, Centric Rotors (if you have rear discs) and EBC "Green Stuff" pads.
robncar is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-01-2008, 03:52 PM   #3
jeep2008
2004 TJ Wrangler 

ok about no 2 but about no1:what do you mean slot the control arm mounts?do you know where i can find pictures or instructions on how to do the adjustment?on no 3 now anyone with feedback about the hawk pads?

No Jeep right now
04TJ (SOLD)
01TJ (SOLD)
Unread 10-01-2008, 08:16 PM   #4
DRZAP
1998 TJ Wrangler 

I got sucked into buying the both front and rear because I am replaceing control arms. The bolts from 4wd Hardware for the front were right but the 2 for the rear which my 98 does not have adjusters (I now know) are half the diameter.
DRZAP is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-02-2008, 03:07 PM   #5
jeep2008
2004 TJ Wrangler 

bump for some more answers!thank you

No Jeep right now
04TJ (SOLD)
01TJ (SOLD)
Unread 10-02-2008, 03:25 PM   #6
otisdog
2003 TJ Wrangler 

On #1 what he means is to try putting a few washers between the big transfer case skid and the frame. This will drop the rear of the engine/tranny/t-case lessening the angle on the rear driveshaft. Do you already have a t-case drop that came with the lift? If so there will be a space between the skid and the frame. The MML he speaks of is a 1" motor mount lift that raises the front of the engine etc haviong the same effect.
I'd send the cam bolts back and get your money back.

NOTE - I see that you already have a 1" drop on there - are you sure that you don't have too much drop or if you are really getting driveline vibes? Doesn't seem like it with only a 2" budget boost. Generally a few washers to get a 1/2" drop will do the trick for that.
Jim

Your driveshaft angles should look something like this

Unread 10-02-2008, 04:17 PM   #7
durango-bob
2000 TJ Wrangler 

I agree that you should do everything and anything needed to avoid using the cam bolts. The do not hold their adjustment and then you have to weld to fix it. The rear axle has holes with embossments that are provided as a location for you to knock out metal to make a slot. The knock-outs, however, do not just knock out, you have to drill and grind to make the slots. Then after you finally realize that the bolts don't stay put, you have to weld washers on the brackets to restablish the holes.
durango-bob is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-03-2008, 03:04 AM   #8
jeep2008
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by durango-bob View Post
I agree that you should do everything and anything needed to avoid using the cam bolts. The do not hold their adjustment and then you have to weld to fix it. The rear axle has holes with embossments that are provided as a location for you to knock out metal to make a slot. The knock-outs, however, do not just knock out, you have to drill and grind to make the slots. Then after you finally realize that the bolts don't stay put, you have to weld washers on the brackets to restablish the holes.
ok,i got it now,i really thought it was going to be as easy as the fronts !anyway ,does anyone has put them on and done the slots?is there a write up of some kind anywhere for the installation of the rear adjustable cam bolts?

No Jeep right now
04TJ (SOLD)
01TJ (SOLD)
Unread 10-03-2008, 05:26 AM   #9
durango-bob
2000 TJ Wrangler 

I did install a set. Here are the steps:

1. Remove the lower control arms.
2. Drill out the metal for the slots and grind them into the correct slot shape.
3. Reinstall the lower arms with the new cam bolts.
4. Set them as far as you can to adjust the pinion the way you want.
5. Scratch your head and think because they don't provide enough adjustment.
6. Tighten it and drive it and find you still have vibs.
7. Check them out after a week and find that they have loosened and are way out of adjustment.
8. Repeat steps 6 and 7 until you convince yourself that you should have listened to this forums advice in the first place.
9. Weld washers on the axles to eliminate the slots and drop the tcase a bit more to eliminate the vibs.
10. Throw the cam bolts in the trash.
durango-bob is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-03-2008, 05:37 AM   #10
jeep2008
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by durango-bob View Post
I did install a set. Here are the steps:

1. Remove the lower control arms.
2. Drill out the metal for the slots and grind them into the correct slot shape.
3. Reinstall the lower arms with the new cam bolts.
4. Set them as far as you can to adjust the pinion the way you want.
5. Scratch your head and think because they don't provide enough adjustment.
6. Tighten it and drive it and find you still have vibs.
7. Check them out after a week and find that they have loosened and are way out of adjustment.
8. Repeat steps 6 and 7 until you convince yourself that you should have listened to this forums advice in the first place.
9. Weld washers on the axles to eliminate the slots and drop the tcase a bit more to eliminate the vibs.
10. Throw the cam bolts in the trash.
what can i say,you are a fun guy

No Jeep right now
04TJ (SOLD)
01TJ (SOLD)
Unread 10-03-2008, 06:01 AM   #11
vector6
2001 TJ Wrangler 

the rear cam bolts go in the UPPER axle mounts.... not the lower.

i ran them for 3 years in my 01 sport, they never came loose.
vector6 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-03-2008, 07:28 AM   #12
jeep2008
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by vector6 View Post
the rear cam bolts go in the UPPER axle mounts.... not the lower.

i ran them for 3 years in my 01 sport, they never came loose.
oops!

No Jeep right now
04TJ (SOLD)
01TJ (SOLD)
Unread 10-03-2008, 07:36 AM   #13
ssdude
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Is your vib. when you take off and put torq. on the axle or when you are up to speed ? I had a vib. only when I took off hard from a dead stop after I installed a 2 1/2" lift. I found that the rear pinion angle and the driveshaft were perfectly aligned so there was no preload on the U joint causing the vib. I installed longer lower control arms to bring the pinion angle down and the vib. went away. I installed the cam bolts first and they didn't have enough adj. so I agree they seem to be a waist of time.
ssdude is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-03-2008, 08:50 AM   #14
chichum

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeep2008 View Post
oops!
haha i hate it when that happens
chichum is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-03-2008, 02:46 PM   #15
jeep2008
2004 TJ Wrangler 

vector6 can you be more specific?do they go to the rear upper control arms then?please more answers!!

No Jeep right now
04TJ (SOLD)
01TJ (SOLD)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.