3 inch body lift? pros or cons? - Page 3 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > 3 inch body lift? pros or cons?

FS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitTHE NEW! VANCO DUAL MODE 15/16″ Big Brake Kit w/BlaFS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great value

Unread 06-28-2013, 04:48 PM   #31
JustEric

Body Lift

I have a 99 w/ 3.5" TeraFlex Short Arm lift and I just slammed a RockJock Dana60 under the rear and need clearance for the tank. I am planning on installing a 3" to give me that and allow me to get 37" tires if I desire. I had a 3"Bl and 3"susp on my Ram before and it ran like a beast and cleared 37's with no problem. Other than than those with image issues what are the real problems with the BL? The mass of the Jeep stays low so the Center of Gravity is just altered by the cabs differfence 3 inches higher. No real fear there. Anyone with actual knowledge have any input?

99TJ Sport
3.5" TeraFlex
SYE - Woods Driveshaft
Rockjock D60 4.88 Ected E-locker w/ Disc Brake Conversion
D44 To be ordered soon.

JustEric is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-28-2013, 05:19 PM   #32
blubaru2002
2002 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustEric
I have a 99 w/ 3.5" TeraFlex Short Arm lift and I just slammed a RockJock Dana60 under the rear and need clearance for the tank. I am planning on installing a 3" to give me that and allow me to get 37" tires if I desire. I had a 3"Bl and 3"susp on my Ram before and it ran like a beast and cleared 37's with no problem. Other than than those with image issues what are the real problems with the BL? The mass of the Jeep stays low so the Center of Gravity is just altered by the cabs differfence 3 inches higher. No real fear there. Anyone with actual knowledge have any input?

99TJ Sport
3.5" TeraFlex
SYE - Woods Driveshaft
D44 To be ordered soon.
I have a 3 inch BL. The only issue I have is the damn TC linkage shifter. I've had to adjust that thing countless times so that I can use 4hi and 4Lo. I'm currently only able to use 4hi because I'm too lazy to climb under there and fix it again.

A plus side to having a 3 inch BL is that there is way more room under the jeep to work on things. My transmissions shift shaft seal needed replacing and I was able to access it very easily.

Also the floor boards don't get nearly as hot from the motor and transmission like they used to before the BL was installed. :-)
blubaru2002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-03-2013, 09:51 AM   #33
JimWilliamson
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by blubaru2002 View Post
Also the floor boards don't get nearly as hot from the motor and transmission like they used to before the BL was installed. :-)
That's a curious observation.

One can easily see why - though I hadn't considered it.
JimWilliamson is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-03-2013, 10:31 AM   #34
chopperkid2000
2006 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miller16 View Post
Any bad or good ideas about putting a 3 inch body lift? Pros or cons? What do I need if I need if I get it?
All cons .. LOL
chopperkid2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-04-2013, 10:34 AM   #35
TravisHeim
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustEric View Post

99TJ Sport
3.5" TeraFlex
SYE - Woods Driveshaft
D44 To be ordered soon.
Getting the transfercase shift linkage to work properly is difficult with a 3", I would highly recommend a cable shifter. Also, I can't see your profile on the mobile app but if you have a manual transmission you might also have some issues with the shift boot. On cold days, I had some serious problems shifting into second gear until I took the boot off.
TravisHeim is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-04-2013, 08:52 PM   #36
1956bugtj2000
2000 TJ Wrangler 

I have a 3 inch body lift and had issues with the shifter boot. I put on an after market universal leather boot and had to clearance the console around the shifter. After that I have had no issues.
1956bugtj2000 is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.