3 inch body lift? pros or cons? - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > 3 inch body lift? pros or cons?

Rockridge 4WD IS Taking Zone Offroad Suspension Lift Kits BLACK FRIDAY SPECIALS!! You asked, we deliver!Rough Country Lift Kits and Parts!

Unread 04-08-2013, 12:03 AM   #16
kerrffc
2004 TJ Wrangler 

So your rear bumper *isn't* supposed to look like a sagging pair of jeans?

kerrffc is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-08-2013, 06:43 AM   #17
tyvanwie
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miller16
9 cons and 1 sorta pro lol and ok so all I'm going to do is save up for the rc n2.0 or the zone 4 in lift thanks for the advice
...why

Sent from my iForum using JeepPhone

I'm pretty sure I know what I'm talking about. I think...
tyvanwie is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-08-2013, 08:42 AM   #18
TravisHeim
2000 TJ Wrangler 

I have a 3" body lift on my tj. It was on there when I bought it and I haven't gotten around to buying a smaller one. The only pro I can think of is the clearance, not just to run larger tires but you can reach some other things very easily such as rear upper shock mount bolts from the top. In my case, there is also enough room between the frame and the body to get an angle grinder in most spots so I can get rid of some rust and repaint the frame.

For the negatives, it looks kind of dumb. I also had to remove the shifter boot or I have trouble shifting into 2nd 5th and reverse. The transfer case linkage is also hard to get adjusted properly without a cable shifter. I have to be careful shifting into 4h and sometimes I can't use 4low.

Mine has a bracket that lowers the radiator 3" so you don't need to mess with the fan shroud. I also don't have any problems with the fuel filler or steering like others have mentioned and I haven't noticed any damage done to the body mounts from the tall spacers.

I do plan to remove it and use a smaller bl. If I had a Novak cable shifter and a flat skid to raise the transmission up some so the shifter cleared the console better it would help a lot. If you can deal with those things and like the looks then get one.
TravisHeim is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-08-2013, 09:19 AM   #19
sailsurf7713
1999 TJ Wrangler 

I'd rather have the 3" body lift than the RC N2.0

Quote:
Originally Posted by 97flexy View Post
...I say don't lift but CUT. :)
My Rusty Revival
sailsurf7713 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-08-2013, 09:44 AM   #20
JimWilliamson
1990 YJ Wrangler 

I purchased my 90 YJ with a suspension lift and a 3" BL. I have no plans to change either.

It's nice to hear someone (above) pipe up with some facts. Most of the folks, when commenting on 3" BL's, give _their_ opinion that "they" don't like the looks (not necessarily bad, just not overly helpful).

So, for some facts as I see it:

- "They say" it is bad for the body mounts. I have yet to see any deformation or issue with my mounts. While it could happen, it has not for my vehicle. Should it deform my body mounts in an accident, I don't care at that point, as there likely are larger issues to deal with.

- The body is moved up/away from the top of the tires w/o having to trim the body.

- The body is moved up/away from the top of the tires w/o having to install a taller suspension lift.

- The body is moved up/away from the top of the tires with less "bad angle" on the rear driveshaft from a larger suspension lift.

- The 3" BL vehicle, vs. one that attains the same body to top of tire clearance via suspension lift, has a lower center of gravity (a nice item to have for hose marginal tip situations).

- It is nice being able to access some vehicle areas, easily, by having that extra gap between the frame and body.

- Radiator / Shift levers / Fuel fill items are not guaranteed to be "at-issue" because of the lift. If they are, change can be made to remove the issue (I have no issues on mine - and I use stock fuel fill hoses).

Now, there is some functional limit to how high of a body lift you can go. The two I see deal with the body mount deformation and shifting. Taken to an extreme, say a two foot body mount, would move the body up on the shift lever enough that the shifter levers would hit the factory shift lever hole before completing the throw into gear. Specific modifications would be needed to likely move the pivot points of the levers. The "lever effect" of the mass of the body could well cause the body-to-lift to "rotate" and deform the body then the vehicle changes speed or direction quick enough. A fix for this lever effect would be to have a body lift that was of a larger diameter to get the body-to-lift "rotate" forces back in line with a stock or small lift setup.

I'm curious to hear more fact on why it's so bad. I mostly hear "opinion" and that's not helpful. I do agree, there is a physical limit but, to me, 3" isn't over the limit.
JimWilliamson is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-08-2013, 10:10 AM   #21
Wheelin98TJ
JEEP FREAK

1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miller16 View Post
9 cons and 1 sorta pro lol and ok so all I'm going to do is save up for the rc n2.0 or the zone 4 in lift thanks for the advice
Zone 4.25 combo kit is a better option.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimWilliamson View Post
...I'm curious to hear more fact on why it's so bad. I mostly hear "opinion" and that's not helpful. I do agree, there is a physical limit but, to me, 3" isn't over the limit.
I agree, 3" is not dangerous.
Wheelin98TJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-08-2013, 10:18 AM   #22
Jerry Bransford
Administrator

2004 TJ Wrangler 

I can't think of a single 'pro' in favor of a 3" body lift. Not to mention it's actually easier to install a 3" suspension lift. There is a lot of work involved in getting everything working properly with a 3" body lift... t-case & transmission shifters, gasoline hoses, etc. Plus I personally just feel a 3" body lift looks like crap.

Coolest offroad magazine ever! CRAWL Magazine

When you have a choice, buy American.
Jerry Bransford is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-08-2013, 10:24 AM   #23
Wheelin98TJ
JEEP FREAK

1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry Bransford View Post
I can't think of a single 'pro' in favor of a 3" body lift...
How about an odd drivetrain combo that needs the big BL in order to run flat skids?

Seems like I remember a member on here who used a 3" BL to help facilitate a Cummins 4bt swap.

Kind of a stretch, but potentially a pro.
Wheelin98TJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-08-2013, 10:44 AM   #24
Redarcher89
2006 TJ Wrangler 

My jeep had a 3" BL on it when I bought it. It was done right, the steering was adjusted, along with the fan shroud. It was not unsafe at all. I have since modded my jeep a little more, and am removing the BL and replacing it with a 1" BL. Personally I would not do it, but not for the reasons stated above. You will get more function from a suspension lift. I would recommend a 2" Suspension lift, with a 1.25 BL. Put on some high clearance fenders, a tummy tuck and call it good. Here is a pic of mine. I also have a cable shifter, and a tummy tuck.

http://i1017.photobucket.com/albums/...ps676192c7.jpg
Redarcher89 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-08-2013, 01:29 PM   #25
TheBoogieman
Demonic Jeep Freak!

1998 TJ Wrangler 

I've got a pro for you if you're an animal lover.Birds and squirrels can nest in the gap and have a place to live.Other than that,remember this.
3" BL BAD!

3" BLT GOOD!

TheBoogieman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-08-2013, 02:13 PM   #26
oalali
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Pro : body lift is better than no lift.

Cons : Is it ?

After a minor wreck as per the OP. Good luck !
Unread 04-08-2013, 02:47 PM   #27
cplacke
2005 TJ Wrangler 

I bet this guy runs a 3" body lift too...
hummer-h2-sut.jpg  
cplacke is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-08-2013, 03:09 PM   #28
ClarkGriswold
1997 TJ Wrangler 

I agree with all.....don't do it. Do a 2" budget boost and a 1" body lift. Worked for me.

Red Jeep Club #488
ClarkGriswold is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-08-2013, 03:48 PM   #29
Miller16
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Someone wanna deleted this thread lol, got all the advice I need, and I'm a newby and don't know how to delete threa
Miller16 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-08-2013, 04:05 PM   #30
tyvanwie
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miller16
Someone wanna deleted this thread lol, got all the advice I need, and I'm a newby and don't know how to delete threa
You don't have to. Just leave it alone.

Sent from my iForum using JeepPhone

I'm pretty sure I know what I'm talking about. I think...
tyvanwie is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Tags
3" , body , lift , tj

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.