Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner

3" econo lift(cheap suspension lift tips)

3K views 16 replies 7 participants last post by  rivers edge 
#1 ·
I am no Tj expert nor will I try to act like one, but I did get some hands on experience with the suspension of one this weekend! I have made a blog with pictures, detailed info on how it went, and what I thought the end result was! My blog is on my "myspace" but dont freak out, it is totally family and user friendly! I am posting a direct link to the blog located with in!

http://blog.myspace.com/index.cfm?f...&MyToken=31181235-b68f-431d-8ba6-4b36d2ae9fe1

#2 ·
Nicely done writeup. I see you also have a Scout, an awesome trail rig. Do you wheel it?

I was wheeling with a Scout club a few years back when one of them asked by my rear axle I had just installed. He laughed good naturedly after I answered his question on its cost and said he almost had less $$$ in his Scout than I did in my rear axle. :laugh: Scouts are definitely trail worthy!

#3 ·
Jerry Bransford said:
Nicely done writeup. I see you also have a Scout, an awesome trail rig. Do you wheel it?

I was wheeling with a Scout club a few years back when one of them asked by my rear axle I had just installed. He laughed good naturedly after I answered his question on its cost and said he almost had less $$$ in his Scout than I did in my rear axle. :laugh: Scouts are definitely trail worthy!
A li'l info on my scout, it is connected to this link:

http://blog.myspace.com/index.cfm?f...&MyToken=3eddb87a-b7ac-4317-bbf1-bb61e7f175f5

#4 ·
We had a little oops with the scout on our trip to Gilmer this weekend. It worked great on everything else, but after looking at his pics I think the problem is that the longer wheelbase could not bend the vehicle around that corner without dropping into the washout like the shorter jeeps.

http://s37.photobucket.com/albums/e96/kingvm/Gilmer%20Sept%202006/

There are 3 pics of me coming around the same corner after we had him straightened out and on down the hill and you can see that I was able to stay out of the deep part.

#6 ·
kingvm said:
We had a little oops with the scout on our trip to Gilmer this weekend. It worked great on everything else, but after looking at his pics I think the problem is that the longer wheelbase could not bend the vehicle around that corner without dropping into the washout like the shorter jeeps.

http://s37.photobucket.com/albums/e96/kingvm/Gilmer%20Sept%202006/

There are 3 pics of me coming around the same corner after we had him straightened out and on down the hill and you can see that I was able to stay out of the deep part.
Cool, that looks like an awfully nice scout to be laying on its side... lol... Looks like ya'll had a good time!

Atla said:
I want your garage!
Thanks, but dont think that we started out geting to work on such a luxury of a surface! My Cj-5 was built on a gravel drive way infront of our 12x18 garage with a 8'x8' door! you had to pick up every time you were done working!:cool:

#7 ·
rivers edge said:
Cool, that looks like an awfully nice scout to be laying on its side... lol... Looks like ya'll had a good time!
Yes it was a pretty good run. We just got home Sunday.

We need to get together for some local runs, I am just down the road in Valley Mills.

#8 ·
kingvm said:
Yes it was a pretty good run. We just got home Sunday.

We need to get together for some local runs, I am just down the road in Valley Mills.
I am going to be attending a big offroad run in october, in Deleon! A bunch of big wheels will be there. I may not participate in the sactioned offroading, but I will be wheeling around! I will get the phone number for you so you can get the details on it.

I was wondering, do you belong to that "Jeep only club" out of Granbury?

#9 ·
rivers edge said:
I am going to be attending a big offroad run in october, in Deleon! A bunch of big wheels will be there. I may not participate in the sactioned offroading, but I will be wheeling around! I will get the phone number for you so you can get the details on it.

I was wondering, do you belong to that "Jeep only club" out of Granbury?
No, I don't know anything about the Granbury club.

Yes, I am going to the Deleon run this time. I only found out about that one right before the last one in the spring that got rained out.

I have paid the dues for the Johnson County club and Lone Start Jeep club but have not gotten heavily involved with them yet because of the distances to try to make meetings during the week.

The Johnson county club is having a show this next weekend at Jeep Outfitters in Burleson but I am not sure whether I will go up for it yet.

Most of the runs that I have been on are to Gilmer with a group out of Houston that goes every couple of months.

I did make one run to Nocona with the Lone Star group a couple of months ago.

Let me know when you guys are getting together and I will try to hook up with you.

#10 ·
kingvm said:
No, I don't know anything about the Granbury club.

Yes, I am going to the Deleon run this time. I only found out about that one right before the last one in the spring that got rained out.

I have paid the dues for the Johnson County club and Lone Start Jeep club but have not gotten heavily involved with them yet because of the distances to try to make meetings during the week.

The Johnson county club is having a show this next weekend at Jeep Outfitters in Burleson but I am not sure whether I will go up for it yet.

Most of the runs that I have been on are to Gilmer with a group out of Houston that goes every couple of months.

I did make one run to Nocona with the Lone Star group a couple of months ago.

Let me know when you guys are getting together and I will try to hook up with you.
I heard about that show in burleson, I may go over there and check it out! is it sauturday or sunday?

#12 ·
rivers edge said:
I heard about that show in burleson, I may go over there and check it out! is it sauturday or sunday?
It is on Saturday the 16th.

Here is a link to their site with the info...

http://www.jocojeepclub.com/

If I decide to go I will try to get in touch with you.

#14 ·
It still has decent up travel! If you notice in the pic, the tire came up to the fender on the driver side! Although it may not be preferred by everyone, I liked how it had all the drop on a short arm! And, it will give him room for if he ever wants to do like a 2" coil spacer!

#15 ·
kingvm said:
It is on Saturday the 16th.

Here is a link to their site with the info...

http://www.jocojeepclub.com/

If I decide to go I will try to get in touch with you.
MAN..... I would take my jeep up there, but I just dropped it off at No Limits to have the cage tied into the fram! and to have the correct length shocks ordered! Maybe I will have it back before Saturday! I just checked out the site, looks cool! I have seen some of the Joco members running around the Cleburne area(that is where I work). I know Ken and 1 of his sons, I llive just down the road from them! I have been hill climbing over at there house!

#17 ·
IMO, Especially on a 4.5 LA, I would prolly go with shocks for a 6" lift! That will give you much more drop travel! and it will not hurt your up travel as much as you think it will! You will want to put int something to help reatain your springs from falling out though!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.