3" BDS Lift Install - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > 3" BDS Lift Install

FS: Jeep Fog Light LED Bulbs! Several Brightness Options! SPARTAN LOCKERS are on sale BIG TIME at ROCKRIDGE 4WD!Yukon Ultimate 35 axle kit for c/clip axles with Yukon Zip

Unread 08-17-2011, 09:10 PM   #1
Dew88fan
2000 TJ Wrangler 

3" BDS Lift Install

I'm working on putting my order together for a 3" lift for my TJ. I'm going with a BDS setup and plan to replace the front and rear lower control arms in the install my question is, what are everyone's thoughts on also replacing the front original track bar with a BDS adjustable? Not sure how necessary it would be?

Dew88fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-17-2011, 10:14 PM   #2
smotrs
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dew88fan
I'm working on putting my order together for a 3" lift for my TJ. I'm going with a BDS setup and plan to replace the front and rear lower control arms in the install my question is, what are everyone's thoughts on also replacing the front original track bar with a BDS adjustable? Not sure how necessary it would be?
If your looking to save money and yours are in good condition, clean them up and paint to match. Use the money elsewhere.

Shaun

Sent from my PC36100 using JeepForum
Unread 08-18-2011, 08:02 AM   #3
parrotparty
1999 TJ Wrangler 

I'm planning on doing the same Lift, so keep updating this

bump

[QUOTE=freedommachine;12840223]If it makes you paranoid and requires forum discussions it belongs on a Jeep.[/QUOTE]

"Well boss, a diesel needs its oil like a sailor needs his rum."- Capt. Ron
parrotparty is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-18-2011, 08:12 AM   #4
explorerlyon

2005 LJ Wrangler 

When I did my 3" BDS lift, I replaced the trac bar with the BDS adjustable. It was part of the kit and necessary. I did not replace any of the control arms and was fine for over a year. The price of the BDS control arms was more than Rokman and Currie.

I have since replaced all 8 arms with Savvy/Currie. Not becuase I needed to for the lift, but I am working towards a tummy tuck.
Unread 08-18-2011, 08:52 AM   #5
parrotparty
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by explorerlyon View Post
When I did my 3" BDS lift, I replaced the trac bar with the BDS adjustable. It was part of the kit and necessary. I did not replace any of the control arms and was fine for over a year. The price of the BDS control arms was more than Rokman and Currie.

I have since replaced all 8 arms with Savvy/Currie. Not becuase I needed to for the lift, but I am working towards a tummy tuck.
How's it holding up? Any pics or a thread on it? (Didn't mean to hijack)

[QUOTE=freedommachine;12840223]If it makes you paranoid and requires forum discussions it belongs on a Jeep.[/QUOTE]

"Well boss, a diesel needs its oil like a sailor needs his rum."- Capt. Ron
parrotparty is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-18-2011, 08:56 AM   #6
explorerlyon

2005 LJ Wrangler 

There is a parallel thread to this one where I posted some pictures.

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f9/lj...cerns-1254212/
Unread 08-18-2011, 12:18 PM   #7
Dew88fan
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Explorerlyon, did you run into any issues not changing the lower control arms? BRA recommended them for this install. I hadn't checked out currie but will. Thanks!
Unread 08-18-2011, 12:44 PM   #8
explorerlyon

2005 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dew88fan View Post
Explorerlyon, did you run into any issues not changing the lower control arms? BRA recommended them for this install. I hadn't checked out currie but will. Thanks!
I had no issues. I never understood why BDS recommends replacing the front lowers only. I highly recommend the Savvy/Currie control arms. Better priced than BDS and I think a much better arm. Lots of discussions on these forums about the Currie arms.
Unread 08-18-2011, 03:34 PM   #9
Dew88fan
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Thanks. Need to take another look at the CA's. By the way, meant "BDS" not "BRA"! My Droid thinks its a mind reader!
Unread 08-18-2011, 03:42 PM   #10
del_TJ

1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by explorerlyon View Post
When I did my 3" BDS lift, I replaced the trac bar with the BDS adjustable. It was part of the kit and necessary.
I did the exact same thing and was fine on and off-road for over a year. Eventually my stock front lowers were shot - bad bushings - and I upgraded my front arms. The new arms improved the ride.
del_TJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-18-2011, 03:49 PM   #11
Dew88fan
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Thoughts on the transfer drop kit at the same time as lift install? Also, I'm liking the Fox shocks that BDS has but anyone had any experience with them?
Unread 08-18-2011, 03:55 PM   #12
del_TJ

1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Thoughts on the transfer drop kit at the same time as lift install? Also, I'm liking the Fox shocks that BDS has but anyone had any experience with them?
I ran the BDS drop kit with adjustable rear lower arms and stock uppers. No vibes. Did that for over a year and then went with a belly-up and still have stock rear uppers.
del_TJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-18-2011, 04:09 PM   #13
explorerlyon

2005 LJ Wrangler 

I have an LJ with the longer wheel base and drive shaft so did not need the transfer case drop.

Now that you are talking Fox shocks, you should also look at the Savvy 3" lift. I think that thread had a discussion about the Fox shocks they are using. That may be a better kit for you once you start talking about control arms, Fox shocks, etc. Start with post #303 http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f9/sa...20/index8.html

Good luck!
Unread 08-19-2011, 02:06 PM   #14
Dew88fan
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Explorerlyon, what was your ride quality of the BDS product?
Unread 08-19-2011, 05:30 PM   #15
explorerlyon

2005 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Explorerlyon, what was your ride quality of the BDS product?
The ride was better than stock. More solid through corners and handles bumps on the road well. I have had no issues offroad with the suspension. When I added the Currie control arms, the ride got even better.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.