Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner

2006 Wrangler 4.0 won't stay running

4K views 31 replies 10 participants last post by  vsickle77 
#1 · (Edited)
My 2006 Wrangler won't stay running. I have been battling engine codes P0016 and P0344. I drove the Jeep across town where it sat for about an hour. When I returned, it would start, but it would not stay running. I included a video of the behavior. Camshaft sensor and Crankshaft sensor were replaced earlier this year. Ignition Coil appears fine. Any ideas?

#3 ·
No easy checks here esp without a scanner other than OPDA.

taking a SWAG, you have a CMP wiring issue.
did you get the sensors from jeep? If not OEM that would be first suggestion.

Ideally a scanner to look at CMP and CKP signals (waveforms), see if one is missing or intermittent. Freeze frame might say if missing. Chek as someone shakes tugs pulls on harness to simulate road vibrations.

Was any engine work done - timong chain? I think the scanner would show sync to confirm a chain issue BUT thats unlikely your issue - just relating checks to do with scanner.

And the not so likely possibality is OPDA...

#4 ·
Crappy running and the alternator doesn't appear to be functioning -- in addition to checking for damage to the cam sensor wiring (they have a tendency to chafe near the oil dipstick tube), check for a faulty PCM ground (gang ground located at the right rear of the engine block).

#7 ·
The battery is a new Mopar (less than 6 months old). First, took Jeep to 3rd party shop that replaced OPDA and crankshaft position sensor back in Feb. Then, codes resurfaced so I took it dealership. They replaced the battery and called it good. Codes resurfaced in a about 2-3 weeks. Won't go back to dealership. I replaced OPDA sensor with Mopar sensor. "New" Crankshaft sensor from Feb. is Dorman if I'm not mistaken (haven't checked part number). Current behavior was very sudden.

#8 ·
Do you know how worn the old OPDA gear was? If it was excessive, it could have worn the cam gear which would then wear out the new OPDA's gear fairly quickly.

I'm not sure the engine ran long enough in your video to tell, but normally with the engine running, the voltmeter should read 13 - 14 Volts. It should read 12 - 13 with the engine off with a good battery.

#17 ·
could you restate issue.

Am I reading this correct -
The OPDA was replaces by jeep. OR just the CMP?
The CKP is NOT a jeep part. Crank position sensor?
There is no starting - dead battery issue - Or is there?

P0016 CRANKSHAFT/CAMSHAFT TIMING MISALIGNMENT
>> A scanner will show "sync" if actual out of time OR bad OPDA repair.
P0344 CAMSHAFT POSITION SENSOR INTERMITTENT
>> 18-015-09 discuss this TSB with dealer - was it performed?
>> Also unless something above is wrong reread Post #3 INTERMITTENT is key word

#19 ·
could you restate issue.

Am I reading this correct -
The OPDA was replaces by jeep. OR just the CMP?
The CKP is NOT a jeep part. Crank position sensor?
There is no starting - dead battery issue - Or is there?

P0016 CRANKSHAFT/CAMSHAFT TIMING MISALIGNMENT
>> A scanner will show "sync" if actual out of time OR bad OPDA repair.
P0344 CAMSHAFT POSITION SENSOR INTERMITTENT
>> 18-015-09 discuss this TSB with dealer - was it performed?
>> Also unless something above is wrong reread Post #3 INTERMITTENT is key word
When codes originally surfaced (back in January), the Jeep would buck continuously when RPMs would reach a certain level (varied, but typically around 2500-3000). Drove fine below that RPM. I took it to a 3rd party shop and they replaced the OPDA and crank position sensor. Both codes returned within about 6 weeks causing Jeep to go into "limp" mode again. 3rd party shop said they couldn't fix issues after codes returned, so I took it to the local Jeep dealership. They initially said the wrong parts were installed by the 3rd party shop (which they weren't wrong parts). Then, they said I needed a new camshaft for $3,200. I said ok, do it. A week goes by and they said they re-diagnosed the issue. They installed the new battery, and cleaned/tightened engine block ground. Jeep was fine for about 6 more weeks. Both codes returned again. I drove it for a couple more weeks and then after last gas fill up (which may be irrelevant), the Jeep won't run at all.

I just don't understand how I could drive it across town (about 12 miles) just fine, park it, then all of the sudden it won't stay running after the next start.

#20 ·
Right now do you know the codes showiing?

Also being right after a refuel you need to consider fuel quality and fuel pressure*, I would scan for codes, check fuel pressure - if the quality of fuel was truly bad the rumor mill will kick up and you will hear about it.
* fuel pumps often fail after the tank has been filled - divine sense of humor I guess.

#22 ·
Ok, so what would have caused this issue to begin with? Are you saying the cam is only good for 100,000 miles? I'm not saying you are wrong, I just don't feel like this should happen. If I replace the cam (etc.) can I only expect another 100,000 miles before it needs to be replaced again?

#25 ·
The bucking at 2500 RPM and above is the Jeep entering limp mode due to the codes you have.

You need to check the cam gear and OPDA gear for excessive wear as that will throw these codes. If they put a new OPDA on a severely worn cam, it will just wear out the new OPDA gear in a short time.

Also check the wires to the cam and crank sensors for chafing.

#28 ·
The bucking at 2500 RPM and above is the Jeep entering limp mode due to the codes you have.

You need to check the cam gear and OPDA gear for excessive wear as that will throw these codes. If they put a new OPDA on a severely worn cam, it will just wear out the new OPDA gear in a short time.

Also check the wires to the cam and crank sensors for chafing.
I have not found any chafing anywhere and i have constant 5 volts to camshaft sensor, crankshaft sensor, and throttle position sensor.

#30 ·
Bad batteries can have enough juice to start but cause running problems. Even at idle the alternator should be providing voltage which yours clearly isn't from the video. Bad batteries, bad battery cables, or bad grounds can all cause problems. If the PCM isn't getting enough power it can not only cause running problems, it can create phantom codes too. Unless the battery is tested and known to be good you could be chasing problems that don't actually exist.

#31 ·
load test battery,if ok ,check : mine had similar problem ,mass air flow sensor ,clean with special cleaner ,and idle air control valve , you can clean intake with carb spray, there's a hole where the idle air valve is ,if it runs a little better then remove /clean or replace ..Could be a lot of other stuff too,like computer or bad vacuume leak in combo ,cleaning control valve,and mass air is easy ...mine would start or ran like crap too until I cleaned it ..also look at 3rd injector ,all injectors for cracks ...there was a service bulletin for excessive heat cracking 3rd injector ,causing poor running condition after heat soak...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.