2006 Unlimited rebuild - Page 69 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > 2006 Unlimited rebuild

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineOfficial Chassis Saver Rust Preventive Truck & Auto UnFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye Kit

Unread 06-29-2013, 08:38 PM   #1021
G Beasley
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jankoid View Post
Not with my MTZs. BFG ATs on the other hand suck *** at that pressure.

Nope.
Alright then , I was afraid we were seeing a pattern !

[url=http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/just-another-lj-build-1055533/] Just another LJ build[/url]
[url=http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f330/moab-utah-june-1st-june-14th-2013-a-1444235/]June 2013 Moab Trip [/url]
[url=http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f37/tj-wrangler-trailer-build-1427938/]Wrangler tub trailer build[/url]
G Beasley is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-29-2013, 08:50 PM   #1022
G Beasley
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Found this in some random searching and I had to post it in your thread after you didnt buy used tires from Galloways ... They are after you

[url=http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/just-another-lj-build-1055533/] Just another LJ build[/url]
[url=http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f330/moab-utah-june-1st-june-14th-2013-a-1444235/]June 2013 Moab Trip [/url]
[url=http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f37/tj-wrangler-trailer-build-1427938/]Wrangler tub trailer build[/url]
G Beasley is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-29-2013, 08:55 PM   #1023
Jankoid
Carpe deez nuts

2002 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by G Beasley View Post

Found this in some random searching and I had to post it in your thread after you didnt buy used tires from Galloways ... They are after you
Ummmm... Okay?
Jankoid is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-30-2013, 10:10 AM   #1024
Jankoid
Carpe deez nuts

2002 TJ Wrangler 

Picked up the tires and u joints this morning. Very happy with my purchase. Here is the deal though. The Super Joints still have chromo inner axle shafts attached to them. I had to pay more for the joints because the guy didn't want to separate, but I still got a great deal anyway and can sell the chromos for ~$100-150 if I want (only paid $200 for the joints and shafts). The chromos are for a F150 hp44. Im currently building a F250 hp44 though, and for some stupid reason they have slightly different axle shaft lengths. As I ranted about a couple pages back, I still need a driver side inner chromo for my f250 housing. The f150 driver side inner that I bought with the u joints is exactly 0.29" longer than the f250 shaft. That is completely stupid. They are from similar year model vehicles, why not have interchangeable parts? What I need to know is if that .29" is enough to make a difference. I'm hoping there is enough leeway in the carrier to allow the slightly longer shaft. That would keep me from having to spend $100 on a new chromo. Anyone have a definitive answer for me? If not Im gonna post a thread about it.

The passenger side f150 shaft is well over an inch shorter than the f250 shaft, so I know that one is of no use to me. Even a cheapo USA Standard passenger inner shaft is $150 new for a f150, so even selling it alone I should be able to grab $75 or so (pretty sure these shafts are Alloy USA).
Unread 07-02-2013, 08:19 AM   #1025
Jankoid
Carpe deez nuts

2002 TJ Wrangler 

Synergy Suspension track bar mount and control arm mounts came in yesterday. Very nice stuff.
Unread 07-02-2013, 08:34 AM   #1026
NotURMailman
Straight up fool!

2005 TJ Wrangler 

For the 1/4" longer shaft it is easy enough to cut it off with a grinder and cut off wheel and re-bevel it with s grinder and flap wheel. There should be plenty of splines. For the 1" longer one, not so much.

I drive on the right side, what's wrong with you?

Quote:
Be very careful with the wife mod. Uninstallation can be extremely expensive. Wife mods have been known to take the Jeep and all other mods during the uninstall process. Also, make sure you service your wife mod properly as often as humanly possible. Wife mods not properly serviced may malfunction or uninstall themselves at any time.
NotURMailman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-02-2013, 09:14 AM   #1027
Jankoid
Carpe deez nuts

2002 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by NotURMailman View Post
For the 1/4" longer shaft it is easy enough to cut it off with a grinder and cut off wheel and re-bevel it with s grinder and flap wheel. There should be plenty of splines. For the 1" longer one, not so much.
I'm more worried about the seal surface lining up. I'll need to check that first. I don't want to just start grinding on it and find out I ruined a perfectly good shaft.
Unread 07-02-2013, 12:14 PM   #1028
NotURMailman
Straight up fool!

2005 TJ Wrangler 

I really don't think you'll have any issue with 1/4". My Superior shafts were 1/4" too long and bottomed out on my E-Locker cross pin. Hacked off 1/4", re-bevelled, installed and moved on. The front shafts are going to move in and out on whier own when you turn, and the seal surface is usually far enough out and large enough to allow for that. But, it would be easy enough for you to measure and be sure.

Just trying to save you some cash toward the RockMonsters...

Quote:
Be very careful with the wife mod. Uninstallation can be extremely expensive. Wife mods have been known to take the Jeep and all other mods during the uninstall process. Also, make sure you service your wife mod properly as often as humanly possible. Wife mods not properly serviced may malfunction or uninstall themselves at any time.
Unread 07-03-2013, 12:44 PM   #1029
Jankoid
Carpe deez nuts

2002 TJ Wrangler 

Trying to decide between MetalCloak Duroflex joints and Barnes 4wd Enduro joints for my front 3 link. I have a couple of Enduro joints on my TJ, they are high quality. I need 5 joints for the front. Right now I can get the enduro joints for $204 plus shipping, while the duroflex are $295 plus shipping.

Advantages for enduro joints:

Chromoly housing
5/8" bolt
Cheaper to rebuild ($6)

Advantages for duroflex joints:

Better ride quality?

The better ride quality of the duroflex would be nice, but I'm not sure they are worth $90 more. That $90 would cover the rest of the parts I need for the 3 link.

Any thoughts?
Unread 07-03-2013, 12:46 PM   #1030
NotURMailman
Straight up fool!

2005 TJ Wrangler 

I wouldn't worry about the joints as related to ride quality. As long as you don't have worn out joints with excessive play you won't notice a defference.

Quote:
Unread 07-03-2013, 12:56 PM   #1031
clintrivera
2006 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
I wouldn't worry about the joints as related to ride quality. As long as you don't have worn out joints with excessive play you won't notice a defference.
Do you have experience with both joints? My Duroflex joints ride nicer than my old RE joints and I know Imped has said the same.

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/p...ed-lj-1741722/
clintrivera is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-03-2013, 01:13 PM   #1032
mcannon111
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Chris may ran those enduro Barnes joints on his race truck and never had one slop out on him. And he beat the snot out of them. I'd so go barnes

live in sc? join [COLOR="Blue"]OffroadSC.com[/COLOR]

[URL="http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/silver-bullet-1249782/"][COLOR="Silver"]The Silver Bullet[/COLOR][/URL]
mcannon111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-03-2013, 01:16 PM   #1033
Jankoid
Carpe deez nuts

2002 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by clintrivera View Post

Do you have experience with both joints? My Duroflex joints ride nicer than my old RE joints and I know Imped has said the same.
Personally, I'm less concerned about ride quality than durability. I really like the fact that the Enduro joints have a larger bolt size and are chromolly instead of forged steel like the Duroflex. Will I ever damage a duroflex joint? Probably not, but I do know that I may end up turning this Jeep into a race rig several years from now, so I want to use the strongest parts possible instead of replacing parts later on. Plus, Barnes has been testing their joints for over a year now without failure on buggys that have been able to damage johnny joints before. Even ignoring cost I'm really leaning more towards the enduro joints. Strength outweighs ride quality in my book.
Unread 07-03-2013, 01:16 PM   #1034
NotURMailman
Straight up fool!

2005 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by clintrivera View Post
I'm not sure if your gaol for today is running around contradicting all of my posts, or running around pimpimg duroflex joints...

Let me fix my statement for you:

Quote:
In my opinion I wouldn't worry about the joints as related to ride quality. As long as you don't have worn out joints with excessive play I feel that you won't notice a defference.
Jake,
If you want my opinion and reasoning behind it, give me a call. I'm not going to clog your thread up with the same old argument.

Quote:
Unread 07-03-2013, 01:17 PM   #1035
NotURMailman
Straight up fool!

2005 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jankoid View Post
Personally, I'm less concerned about ride quality than durability. I really like the fact that the Enduro joints have a larger bolt size and are chromolly instead of forged steel like the Duroflex. Will I ever damage a duroflex joint? Probably not, but I do know that I may end up turning this Jeep into a race rig several years from now, so I want to use the strongest parts possible instead of replacing parts later on. Plus, Barnes has been testing their joints for over a year now without failure on buggys that have been able to damage johnny joints before. Even ignoring cost I'm really leaning more towards the enduro joints. Strength outweighs ride quality in my book.
I think you just answered your own question.

Have you considered the billet Johnny Joints?

Quote:

Tags
nc guys

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.