2006 Unlimited rebuild - Page 4 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > 2006 Unlimited rebuild

Huge Soft top SaleSYE Kits from CCOR! 706-207-4140SALE PRICING, Specials, Huge Savings Alloy USA and Posi-Lo

Unread 12-30-2010, 05:50 PM   #46
Jankoid
2002 TJ Wrangler 

I dropped the jeep off at the allignment shop earlier today. After I pick it up tomorrow I'll be mounting the 33s I used to run on my TJ, which will stay until I add a real lift (I dont like the BB) and buy some 35s. That isn't gonna happen until I get around to selling my TJ though. I should also be getting my MetalCloak parts back from powdercoating within the next week (its taking so long because of the holiday).

The Jeep is getting very close to being fixed.

Jankoid is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-30-2010, 06:50 PM   #47
Gonewhln
2006 TJ Wrangler 

if your going up to 35's go ahead and get 4.88 gears installed you will be better off getting them installed before getting the 35's put on.
Gonewhln is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-30-2010, 08:47 PM   #48
Jankoid
2002 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gonewhln View Post
if your going up to 35's go ahead and get 4.88 gears installed you will be better off getting them installed before getting the 35's put on.
I forgot to mention that the regear will be done simultaneously with the lift.
Unread 12-31-2010, 04:47 PM   #49
Jankoid
2002 TJ Wrangler 

So I was working on the jeep earlier and went to start it and I didn't know it was I gear. When I let off the clutch (i was outside the jeep) it shot off in reverse, the door knocked me down, and the jeep proceeded to crawl over my leg, smash through the garage door behind it, and cruise down the road until it smacked into a building. Now I'm sitting in the emergency room. Happy day.
Unread 01-09-2011, 02:00 PM   #50
Jankoid
2002 TJ Wrangler 

Haven't updated since the accident. Started on the body work yesterday. Should have it finished and painted AGAIN in the next couple of days.

Also picked up my metalcloak parts from the powedercoating place a couple days ago. They look really good. I wish they had been done a week sooner though. That corner armor could have prevented the damage to my Jeep. Oh well.

I'll post pics of the damage and everything else later tonight when I get a little bit more time.
Unread 01-09-2011, 03:11 PM   #51
kellyII
2009 JK Wrangler 

that just plain sucks, I glad youre OK though. Talk about blood sweat and tears....
kellyII is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-09-2011, 03:15 PM   #52
Jankoid
2002 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by kellyII View Post
that just plain sucks, I glad youre OK though. Talk about blood sweat and tears....
Luckily no blood, but I had a pretty bad limp for a while. Plenty of sweat and invisible tears though.
Unread 01-10-2011, 04:49 AM   #53
skydizzle
2004 LJ Wrangler 

that sucks about the Jeep, but Im glad youre ok.
94 XJ
skydizzle is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-10-2011, 11:13 AM   #54
Dogbones
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Damn dude the jeep drove over your leg? Did you break your leg or anything, good thing your alright that could've ended nastily
Dogbones is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-10-2011, 11:22 AM   #55
Jankoid
2002 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dogbones View Post
Damn dude the jeep drove over your leg? Did you break your leg or anything, good thing your alright that could've ended nastily
Nah, I went to the hospital and had it checked out and I'm all good other than a bruise and a limp. I was up and walking right after it happened.
Unread 01-10-2011, 12:07 PM   #56
Jankoid
2002 TJ Wrangler 

Time for a more in depth explanation of what happened. That morning I picked it up from the allignment shop, and the first thing I did was mount my 33" Mud Dawg tires that I used to run on my Sahara (great tires btw). I did a few other things, but the main thing I was working on was the lights. I was planning on driving it home at the end of the day, so I wanted to mount the tailight and wire up the turn signals. First thing I did was mount the tail lights. Then, while I wired up the front turn signals, my dad made sure the tail lights were working correctly. Without telling me, he stuck it in reverse to check the back up lights. We finished everything up around 5:00. The battery died because we had left it sitting with the lights on for so long, so I stuck the battery charger on the Jeep and went to fire it up. When I had parked it there I had left in in neutral, as I always do with a straight drive. Assuming it was still in neutral, I stuck one foot in the Jeep, pressed the clutch, and fired it up. Then, I just dumped the clutch. Any other time the Jeep would have just stalled and died, but not this time. It shot off in reverse. The door hit me and knocked me down, and then I watched as the front tire ran over my right leg. Then, the Jeep smashed through the garage door behind it. Scary thing was, Ryan, my dad's employee, was standing right outside the door sanding a fender. The open door came about an inch from his face when it smahed thorugh the door. If it had run over him it could have killed him. By this time my dad was running full speed towards the jeep, but then he pulled a hamstring and collapsed. The jeep reached the road right outside of the shop and somehow turned and headed straight down the street towards the highway. Luckily, it ran up a slight slope where a telephone pole was located and turned down in front of the shop. It actually came so close to the pole that it hit the door, broke the strap, slammed the door flush with the hood, and broke the window reulator off, peg and everything. So by this time my dad was chasing after it again, and he got to it and shut it off about a second before it slammed into the building... My dad didn't even realize I had been hurt until I limped up to him with my jeans shredded in half. So my dad called my mom to have her carry me to the hospital (and scared her to death in the process), while he stayed at the shop and plugged up the giant hole in the shop that had just been caused by my jeep. After several hours at the hospital, all I found out is that I was perfectly fine. Yay. Happy New Years Eve for me. Not a very good way to end 2010.

Here is what it looked like with my old tires and rims (I refer to them as old because it is what I used to run on my TJ. They are actually nicer than what I run now).

imag0410.jpg

Here is where it was parked about half an hour before it happened.

imag0412.jpg

Here is the damaged. It caved in both quarter panels when it hit the builing, and the garage door damaged the hard top. Suprisingly the tailgate was untouched, I quess the guards on the taillights took the brunt of the force.

imag0418.jpg
imag0420.jpg

Here is some of the progress with fixing it. Got both panels pulled out flat and some bondo on it. Actually a bit farther than that but this is the most recent pic I have.

imag0441.jpg

I'd say this post is long enough for now...
Unread 01-10-2011, 12:13 PM   #57
Fropleyqk
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Holy crap dude, glad youre ok.
Unread 01-10-2011, 01:43 PM   #58
doh

Jesus man, been lurking this thread hard. Glad you're okay, and hope your pops doing alright too! Hammy is nothing to play with! Beautiful rig man..keep it coming.
Silverstar Headlights
JVC Head Unit - Sub in center console - XM Radio - iPod
97 GSX-R 750 for speed :D
doh is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-10-2011, 02:31 PM   #59
Jankoid
2002 TJ Wrangler 

I'm bored so I figured I'd post some more pics.

Here is all of my MetalCloak peices powdercoated (the corner armor and rock sliders are to the far right just outside of the pic). I had them done in a smoothe gloss black so they will clean easier.

imag0427.jpg

I also had my bumpers powdercoated at the same time. The LJ had these bumpers on them when we bought it. The rear bumper is a Tuff Designs tire carrier. The powdercoat on was chipping and rusting pretty bad, prompting me to powdercoat it. I'll most likely replace it later, but it will be good enough for now.

imag0423.jpg

This is the front bumper that was on it. Its a FourReal Steel front stinger bumper. It wasn't powdercoated, just painted, and had multiple scratches, so I had it powdercoated too. I really want the new or-fab stubby stinger, but just like the tire carrier it is good enough for now. That money can be better spent elsewhere.

imag0422.jpg

I had it mounted on my TJ for a while and liked it okay. I think it will look better with a winch mounted. This is also one of the few pics I have of the TJ with the ion alloy rims mounted.

imag0146.jpg
Unread 01-10-2011, 02:45 PM   #60
idiot magnet
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Wow what a great thread and story.
I also rebuilt an Unlimited last year, but I never had a garage door jump out behind me like yours did.
I'm glad you and the Jeep were ok.
I did unhook the drive shaft while not thinking the driveway was on a bit of a slope. I never got out from under a vehicle faster in my life, but I was able to stop it before it hit anything.
Good looking Jeep.
[FONT="Palatino Linotype"][FONT="Comic Sans MS"]Indyorv.com[/FONT][/FONT]
idiot magnet is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Tags
nc guys

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.