2006 Unlimited rebuild - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > 2006 Unlimited rebuild

ROCKRIDGE4WD Introduces a NEW Jeep Wrangler JK *led* tail Spartan Locker Promo Running now @ ROCKRIDGE 4WD plus FREERough Country Lift Kits and Parts!

Unread 12-07-2010, 02:57 PM   #16
Jankoid
2002 TJ Wrangler 

Havent recieved my MetalCloak stuff yet (supposed to have been shipped last Friday) but we have got started on the body work. If all goes as planned we should have the Jeep painted by the end of the week. After that I get to haul it to the closest Chrysler dealership (a 30 min drive) to get a key cut for it.

On a side note, I just took my last exam. Now that I am done with school for 2010 I should have plenty of time to finish the Heep!

Jankoid is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-07-2010, 07:48 PM   #17
kyleboender
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Looks good, keep it up
kyleboender is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-11-2010, 07:36 PM   #18
Jankoid
2002 TJ Wrangler 

So I finally got it painted today!!! No pics yet though (didn't have my phone on me). The interior will be bedlined tomorrow morning, and I will start putting it back together Monday. I was originally giong to go with the aev highline kit which came with a new hood, but when I changed my mind to metalcloak I was left without a hood. My dad forgot to order it until last Thursday, so it won't be here until Tuesday. I still need to drill holes in the grill for turn signals so I'm waiting to paint it at the same time as the hood. My metalcloak stuff supposedly shipped Friday (called Friday morning and they still had not shipped it). They are being kinda slow...
Unread 12-12-2010, 10:57 PM   #19
Jankoid
2002 TJ Wrangler 

Painted and bedlined:

imag0311.jpg

imag0313.jpg

imag0315.jpg

imag0317.jpg
Unread 12-12-2010, 11:26 PM   #20
kyleboender
2005 LJ Wrangler 

mmmmm Looks awesome!
kyleboender is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-12-2010, 11:34 PM   #21
WILLY348
2003 TJ Wrangler 

So how much did it cost to paint?
WILLY348 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-12-2010, 11:46 PM   #22
Jankoid
2002 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by WILLY348 View Post
So how much did it cost to paint?
Absolutely nothing! That's the beauty of doing things yourself! Our paint supplier gifted the paint to us (we're a big customer). The bedliner costed about $100 I think. My dad did the painting. He runs a body shop and has been painting cars for as long as I can remember.
Unread 12-16-2010, 10:29 PM   #23
WILLY348
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Damn you're lucky.. paint jobs can be alot for a jeep!
WILLY348 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-17-2010, 06:14 PM   #24
Jankoid
2002 TJ Wrangler 

So my metalcloak parts arrived via UPS today. That stuff is HEAVY. They use 1/4" steel for everything. I will be bending the tub behind them way before I even come close to damaging them. MetalCloak sure does make some heavy duty stuff. Now Im worried about my coils sagging under that much weight... I knew the stuff would be heavy but not this heavy.

I haven't been able to work on the Jeep much this week. About all Ive been able to get done is the back seat. I moved the rails back a few inches. I think my backseat passengers are gonna have more room than in the front seat, but I basically cut my trunk space in half. I still need to make a mount to move the seatbelt latches back though.

I finally went and bought a hole saw today so I can drill holes in the grill for my turn signals. That was actually more expensive than the lights themselves. I will be using 2.5" truck lights. It was $20 for the saw and $10 for the lights, grommets, and plugs. Pretty cheap if you ask me.
Unread 12-17-2010, 06:22 PM   #25
442Wrangler
In like Flynn.

2008 JK Wrangler 

Damn. You guys either have a lot of patience or are undertaking a common project that your dad does.

I'm not trying to be a downer but you know your body will never be straight right? I still give you a lot of credit though for getting everything as close to original as perfect...man body shop people who do it right like your dad and you do are hard to find. Most people would have just bondoed that corner and ruined it.

Looks good man!

1998 TJ Sahara Sold
-3.25" RC spring lift, Eagle alloys 125s, 33x12.5x15 Cooper STTs, XRC8 winch with stock bumper mount

1994 YJ SE Sold
-4" RC spring lift, 33x12.5x15 Firestone M/Ts, Eagle alloys 125, and a 4 cylinder to boot

1960 Willys Wagon
-Going to be restored and painted Omaha Orange

"I would rather wake up in the middle of nowhere than in any city on earth."
-Steve McQueen

Male RN Jeep Club #1
442Wrangler is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-17-2010, 06:41 PM   #26
Jankoid
2002 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 442Wrangler View Post
Damn. You guys either have a lot of patience or are undertaking a common project that your dad does.

I'm not trying to be a downer but you know your body will never be straight right? I still give you a lot of credit though for getting everything as close to original as perfect...man body shop people who do it right like your dad and you do are hard to find. Most people would have just bondoed that corner and ruined it.

Looks good man!
Some valid points.

Im not fixing this thing so it can look pretty at the mall. Im turning this into a crawler. The body doesn't need to be perfectly straight.

And yes, most body shops do look for the quick fix. Not us. My dad is kinda a perfectionist with this stuff.

And fixing cars is just a side job for my dad these days. It would have been finished in a couple weeks if we had worked on it full time. That combined with how thorough we are being is why it seems like such a big project. And trust me, my dad has fixed much worse. He is very good at it.
Unread 12-17-2010, 07:36 PM   #27
442Wrangler
In like Flynn.

2008 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jankoid View Post
Some valid points.

Im not fixing this thing so it can look pretty at the mall. Im turning this into a crawler. The body doesn't need to be perfectly straight.

And yes, most body shops do look for the quick fix. Not us. My dad is kinda a perfectionist with this stuff.

And fixing cars is just a side job for my dad these days. It would have been finished in a couple weeks if we had worked on it full time. That combined with how thorough we are being is why it seems like such a big project. And trust me, my dad has fixed much worse. He is very good at it.
I understand man. Just kinda saying you know? It does look great all shined up and looking good.

And I don't doubt your dad's abilities, you are very lucky to have a guy like that to learn these skills from. My dad is very good with engines and that is the only way I got my foot in the door with engines and cars.

Good luck, I'll be watching.

1998 TJ Sahara Sold
-3.25" RC spring lift, Eagle alloys 125s, 33x12.5x15 Cooper STTs, XRC8 winch with stock bumper mount

1994 YJ SE Sold
-4" RC spring lift, 33x12.5x15 Firestone M/Ts, Eagle alloys 125, and a 4 cylinder to boot

1960 Willys Wagon
-Going to be restored and painted Omaha Orange

"I would rather wake up in the middle of nowhere than in any city on earth."
-Steve McQueen

Male RN Jeep Club #1
442Wrangler is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-17-2010, 07:40 PM   #28
balm426
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Looks like the rebuild is going well.

I would kill to have a frame machine at my access. At least your using it for a project of your own.
balm426 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-17-2010, 07:48 PM   #29
Jankoid
2002 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by balm426 View Post
Looks like the rebuild is going well.

I would kill to have a frame machine at my access. At least your using it for a project of your own.
Yeah, fixing this thing would have literally been impossible without it.
Unread 12-23-2010, 09:01 PM   #30
Jankoid
2002 TJ Wrangler 

Got a lot done on the Jeep since Monday. Lots of pictures.

Got the turn signals installed:

imag0344.jpg

Got the hood mounted:

imag0345.jpg

Rolled it outside in the sun. Paint looks GOOD.

imag0348.jpg
imag0351.jpg

Tags
nc guys

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.