Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner

2006 unlimited

5K views 38 replies 27 participants last post by  KCHRISTO 
#1 ·
I am looking at purchasing a 2006 Wrangler Unlimited (extended back) with very low mileage. Does anyone own one or have an opinion on this model and year?
It has under 6000 miles, Auto, Power everything, Hard & soft top.
Any reported problems or anything I shoild know before going ahead.

Thanks!

#2 ·
I just got my LJ about a month ago. I think they are a smart purchase because they will hold there value well like the old scramblers. And they come with the dana 44 standard plus you dont have to choose between cargo or passangers. I do have to say they look funny without a lift though. I had to use my warrenty for the exterior mirrior coming loose and the fan resistor going out.

#3 ·
I have had my 06 LJ since march of 06 (around a year and a half now). I completely love my LJ.. I don't plan on ever selling it. I call it my second love.. my girl friend being my first ;). Most buy an LJ because of the extra room, i love the extra room, but i more so just love the looks of the longer wheel base.

Like the above poster said, they come standard with a D44 rear so thats a big plus! They also come with the 6 speed transmission.. which is ironic because it actually gets worse gas mileage than the 5 speed due to the fact that the first gear is lower. But the first gear being lower is an advantage in itself.

I think the LJ is just an awsome car.. its a cool fact that they only made them from 2004-2006. If you dont know, it has a 10" longer wheel base, 13" more cargo room than the TJ, and 2" more space for the rear passengers (so 15" longer total).

Heres pictures to my LJ: http://jeepforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=451926

#4 ·
LJ mileage (or the mileage of any vehicle for that matter) is not at all related to 1st gear (unless of course you drive around all day in 1st gear), it is more related to the high/overdrive gearing (all other things being equal).

I got my 06 LJ in January of 07, got a great deal, sticker on it was 26k, talked them down to just over 20k, and got around 6k for my trade (01 Dakota 4x4) so I paid around 14k for it brand new. Had the dual top option and 6 speed, only thing it was missing that I wanted was cruise control, and that was an easy fix with the OEM cruise kit.

#6 ·
The dana 44 is the stronger rear axle that comes on many jeeps from the factory. They are a much stronger rear axle than the Dana 35, can tow more, and they are better because they can allow for bigger tires.

Rubicons come stock with Dana 44's front and rear. If your buying an LJ (unlimited) you wont have to question if they come with a Dana 44 because they come standard with one in the rear

#7 ·
I have an '05 Unlimited, and I have my good bud up in Colorado to thank for turning me onto LJs before I bought a Jeep. I think the difference over a TJ is substantial, the cargo space behind the rear seat is usable and if you take the rear seat out you have quite a hauler. Plus the LJ's extra length and additional soundproofing give it much better road manners. And I wanted an auto for ease of driving both on road and off. It was the right decision for me.

Downsides are that LJ-specific parts are harder to find and more expensive. But you mentioned it already comes with two tops, so you save there. Personally, I would sell the hardtop, but I don't live in Jersey! Outside of that, there are really no downsides. The LJs tend to hold their value over a TJ, and personally I don't think a stock LJ doesn't look bad without a lift. It is a very capable machine, both on road and off. You didn't mention a price, I would expect it to be ~$20K give or take. I paid $17,990 for mine earlier this year with 22K on it, yours is newer with less miles and a hardtop.

Cheers! M2

#9 ·
I got my 06 LJ (first Jeep) back in October 06 and I have no regrets getting it. When I was looking at Jeeps I wasn't initially considering the LJ and then I found a killer deal on it and never looked back.

#10 ·
I love mine. And I will add that if you ever lift your LJ, i really should say when(because even if you say you want you will), As long as you stay around 3" of lift you "usually" dont have any driveline vibes. This is key because it will save you money in an SYE and drive shaft.
here is mine

#13 ·
If the price is right I say "Go for it". I bought the LJ and can't tell you enough how glad I am that I did. Nothing at all against the SWB but the LJ fits my needs much better.

#14 ·
what all these guys said x10...

I've also only had mine a coupla months but love every single minute I sit in it...

Mine's auto with just a soft top. I got it with just under 9k miles from Carmax for just over 21 and a half.

It can look a little weird without a lift but only if you look at it on profile. Any angle from the front and it just rocks...

#17 ·
Love My LJ

I've had my LJ for 8 months but every time I get behind the wheel it feels like the day I drove it home from the dealer. This is by far the most rugged , capable and coolest vehicle I have ever driven. The extra space in the back is great for camping trips. Room for 4 and more in the back, gotta love that. Can't post pics yet but will soon. Wife loves it too, still learning to drive it though.:thumbsup:

#18 ·
I must have gotten a bad LJ.

Mine sneaks in and takes all my money.
It finds dirt trails where there are no sidewalks and makes me ride there.
It frequently occupies my thoughts when I'm not with it.
It makes me hang out in bad places like this so that I can find other people that sympathize with my plight.

But just like a bad child, I love it anyway and wouldn't get rid of it!

-R

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :teehee:

#19 ·
CCrew said:
I must have gotten a bad LJ.

Mine sneaks in and takes all my money.
It finds dirt trails where there are no sidewalks and makes me ride there.
It frequently occupies my thoughts when I'm not with it.
It makes me hang out in bad places like this so that I can find other people that sympathize with my plight.

But just like a bad child, I love it anyway and wouldn't get rid of it!

-R

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :teehee:
sucks to be you... not to mention the fact that you have one of the prettiest I've seen...

#21 ·
I've had my LJ Rubicon since March 06. Drove a Liberty before that and a TJ before that. Switched to the Liberty because the TJ killed my back on the highway. The LJ does not bother my back at all. Also, it pulls more trailerwise than the TJ, has lots more room and is just a pleasure to drive. Only downside is the gas mileage :thumbdown: but, hey, it's a Jeep. I average 14 to 15 most of the time.

Still, I plan to keep it until the wheels fall off of it which I expect will be sometime very late in this century. Then I'll buy a rice burner for gas mileage and still drive the LJ on weekends. :cheers2:

#22 ·
they are great off-road, especially with a little 2.5" lift, and/or a tummy tuck. I was dragging the t-case and trans on everything until I got the JeepMedic skids on. The Kilby gas tank skid is a life saver too, i've got some deep gashes on that sucker.

Water crossing going up to Argentine Pass, up to the door sills.

Taken from 13,132ft above sea level, broke something in the trans linkage...

taken at around 10k feet, that peak to the right is a 13er.

#23 ·
rider251 said:
I am looking at purchasing a 2006 Wrangler Unlimited (extended back) with very low mileage. Does anyone own one or have an opinion on this model and year?
It has under 6000 miles, Auto, Power everything, Hard & soft top.
Any reported problems or anything I shoild know before going ahead.

Thanks!
Are you talking LJ or JK? The only thing power on an LJ is...well the engine. If you're talking LJ, well I'm biased. I love mine, and expect to get buried in it when I die. Unless the kids want it, cause the only way their gettin' it is over my dead body.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.