2006 tj starter problems - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > 2006 tj starter problems

Rough Country Deals at JeepHut.comShocktober is here! Get new shocks for your Jeep!!!!KOR Labor Week Sale and Giveaway

Unread 10-19-2013, 12:47 PM   #1
kuyote

2006 tj starter problems

I've been hunting down starter gremlins for awhile now. I replaced the started, and neutral position switch. After replacing these everything seemed to work great for a few days. Now she is blowing fuse 6 the 30A starter fuse. I jumped between 87 on the starter relay, and the positive of the battery, it doesn't try to turn over, it sparks, and jumper gets very hot. Sounds like a short somewhere, can anyone tell me where I should start looking to narrow it down?

kuyote is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-19-2013, 01:22 PM   #2
Rubi4MyMrs
Tks 4 the upgrade MoodyJP

2005 LJ Wrangler 

From the 87 terminal of the relay the yellow/gray wire goes directly to the starter solenoid. Check that wire for any damage to the insulation where it could touch a ground but more likely the short is in the solenoid itself. You can try running a jumper from the battery to the solenoid to isolate it easily. It should be at least 14 gauge wire, that is what the OEM wire is.
Rubi4MyMrs is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-19-2013, 04:56 PM   #3
kuyote

Went out, and tested right to the solenoid, I'm guessing it was stuck, after sparking, it started working. I put everything back together and fired her up. Started right up, but sounded odd. Shut her down, and the starter was still engaged. Took it back to autozone, hopefully this one works better.
Unread 10-21-2013, 11:24 AM   #4
kuyote

I tried to take my TJ to work this morning, stopped and got a coffee, when I got back in and started her up, the starter wouldn't disengage. It sounded like the solenoid released so I didn't chew off the teeth, but shutting off the jeep, didn't make it stop. I made it back home, and tried to restart it, but the starter fuse had blown. Any new suggestions?
Unread 10-23-2013, 04:27 PM   #5
Rubi4MyMrs

2005 LJ Wrangler 

If the starter is staying engaged AND blowing the fuse (#6), I think the relay may be sticking. Try swapping it with another on, the horn is the same I think. See if that fixes it.
Unread 10-25-2013, 11:55 AM   #6
kuyote

swapped the relay and added another Maxifuse, tried to start her but the fuse blew immediately. Something I forgot to mention, since this has been going on, whenever I do get her started there is a quick squeal from the motor, I had thought it a belt. But it's now looking like it might be the CPS. I don't have my wiring diagrams here at work, is there any connection between the CPS, and the starter relay?
Unread 10-25-2013, 01:16 PM   #7
Rubi4MyMrs

2005 LJ Wrangler 

If you are getting that “squeal” on cold startups like first thing in the morning & possibly after sitting a long time you might be getting the “laughing monkey” that happens to some ’05 & ‘06s. It is from the OPDA (oil pump drive assembly) that houses the cam position sensor. There is a LONG thread on this along with some mods to improve the durability of it linked below. Other than that, there is no relation to your starter issue. If the fuse is blowing but not until you engage the starter there is a short somewhere from the relay to the solenoid or inside the starter or solenoid itself. I’m not sure how that relates to the starter staying engaged but probably related. You could remove the small solenoid wire from the solenoid & while making sure the end doesn’t touch ground, turn the key to the start position & see if that pops the fuse. If not then the short is internal to the starter/solenoid. Pull it & have it tested at a local auto parts store, usually for no charge.

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f9/20...ailure-1144202

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.