2006 Rubicon Unlimited Crank No Start - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > 2006 Rubicon Unlimited Crank No Start

ECGS Black Friday Sale!!6th Annual, Beat Your Wife to the Credit Card Sale!50 in light bar /A pillar mount less than 500 at JeepHut.c

Unread 04-09-2011, 06:07 PM   #1
smoghog4
2001 XJ Cherokee 

2006 Rubicon Unlimited Crank No Start

HI guys,

Wife was driving, vehicle stalled. Brought it home intermittent spark and injector pulse. Changed the crank sensor. Same Thing. Tested the signal on Crank and Cam Sensor with lab scope. Good clean signals. I have intermittent spark and injector pulse. Thinking I have a Bad PCM, anyone run into this problem before? ( 50,000 miles on the engine 4.0l Manual trans Rubicon Unlimited ). Any help would be appreciated.

thanks in advance.

smoghog4 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-09-2011, 06:20 PM   #2
DerekXJ
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Maybe a potential bad coil pack?
I always tend to start with the cheap stuff.....I would have guessed the two things you checked first also though.....Curious to see how this one turns out..
DerekXJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-09-2011, 07:54 PM   #3
smoghog4
2001 XJ Cherokee 

took the coil pack off my cherokee just to make sure. No Dice. I am going to borrow a buddies scanner as mine is not updated. Hopefully I can command the coils to spark and see if the PCM is good.
Unread 04-09-2011, 10:47 PM   #4
jondotcom
2004 LJ Wrangler 

Does it have the security light illuminated on the dash (sentry)? Could be that... if yours has it I'd try another coded key first.
Unread 04-09-2011, 11:06 PM   #5
smoghog4
2001 XJ Cherokee 

I tried my key just to be sure. The key or security light goes off. What happens is the engine will crank and I will get 1 spark for every 5 or six seconds out of each coil pack, when this happens it also pulses the injector once. It almost seems like it cant sync the crank and cam sensor and does not know when to fire the ignition/injectors. I initially thought it would be a bad crank sensor so I changed it. Thought I would post here in case someone else had a similar problem before.
Unread 04-09-2011, 11:45 PM   #6
Redz72
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Did you check for any codes?
BLACK JEEP SOCIETY #218
Redz72 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-10-2011, 10:49 AM   #7
jkp
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Check the OPDA gear:

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f9/20...ilure-1144202/
Unread 04-10-2011, 11:07 PM   #8
smoghog4
2001 XJ Cherokee 

There was a noise that sounded like a belt noise a couple days prior. I am the second owner. Would the dealership warranty this with 49k original miles. If not is there a permanent fix. This problem makes sense for my symptoms, hopefully my cam is not wiped out. Will an earlier dist ( like the one in my 2001 cherokee send the same type of signal? )

Thanks for the info.
Unread 04-11-2011, 05:31 AM   #9
jkp
2006 TJ Wrangler 

You can try to see if the dealer/Jeep will help you out with part of it. Most likely not since you are out of warranty and not the original owner.

Only the OPDA/Cam Sensor from a '05 - '06 will work. They were backordered recently.
Unread 04-11-2011, 08:15 PM   #10
smoghog4
2001 XJ Cherokee 

I would like to thank all of you that offered me help Mystery solved. See my posts in the following link

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f9/20...2/index67.html

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.