Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner

2006 in driveway now

4K views 53 replies 21 participants last post by  Jeep25 
#1 ·
Well I wanted to post all week but had to wait in case my son found the post.

We have searched high and low for a jeep for our 17 year old. Found one and just gave it to him. He is excited but we will need to do a few things.

2006 Jeep
140k miles
Lift - unknown manufacturer and size...

Tires/Rims - new - 33s (thought were 35s oh well)
valve cover gasket replaced
new front rotors and pads
new heater core
there was a hum and guy didn't like it (small dealership) so he ordered an xfer case. Went to have his mechanic put it in and they figured out it was the rear so a rebuilt rear axle

Rear Wiper - just noticed it doesn't work so have to check for fuse...
Speedo is off - @40mph your really doing 45mph (my blue pickup is like that but manual trans). I know there is a gear to fix this for autos

so how do I ID the lift? how do I measure the size?

20170422_183914 by Jeffrey Riggs, on Flickr

20170422_183928 by Jeffrey Riggs, on Flickr

Attachments

See less See more
#4 ·
You should be able to find some specs online. I'm sure someone has been though the same thing.

Since it has the stock bumper, I would use that as my starting point. Measure it from the ground to the top or bottom and see if you can find something about a stock TJ height. Maybe drive around town and find a stock TJ and measure it as well...lol

Looks around 4" though

#6 ·
You can measure the springs to see how much longer they are from stock. Stock front springs are 12" and stock rear are 8". Looks like a very nice jeep. I got mine a couple years ago at 17 and it's been a ton of fun. The speedo gear is a cheap and easy job. Think they are only around $40. As far as ID on the lift brand, post some pictures of the suspension components and someone here should know

#7 ·
Using a tape measure, measure the height of the springs. Stock front is 12", stock rear is 8". Anything above that is lift. Post pictures of the springs and we can tell you if there has been a "budget boost" installed, which adds lift without adding spring height.

Edit: posted at same time as Mattific, same general advice on springs.

#8 ·
I am pretty sure that fixing the Speedo is going to require an electronic means of calibration, my 2006 LJ has an electronic sensor and you can't just buy a programmer to fix it if you run metric tires or plan on going over 4.56 Gears. Chrysler specifically set tire sizes and gear calibrations in the ECU and it can not be changed. If it is electronic I recommend looking at HealTech SpeedoHealer Jeep Plug-n-Play Kit, that's what I am going to purchase for my Rubicon.

#12 ·
RootBreaker said:
My son just told me horn and rear wiper doesnt wok. I checkd horn fuse and its good... thoughts?
You've checked the fuse and it's good. Have your son open the hood and find the horn. Have him check the condition of wiring (take off loom where required) to make sure it looks good and that there is nothing obviously wrong. He could clean and grease the connections if required.

Repete above for rear wiper motor.

Maybe you have already tried the above.

I recently replaced all wire loom in my jeep engine bay. In the process I have found issues at 3 connections. I have replaced 2/3 plugins, and will prob try and butt connect the broken wire at the rear locker sensor.

#19 ·
Being it's a high mileage make sure and check out the OPDA. You can find hundreds of pages of info on this forum. OPDA failures and engine damage is fairly common on '05 and '06 models. The gears go bad and many bad things can happen after that. Just in the last couple years replacement units have been made available that are good.
Nice Jeep, you are a good dad.

#20 ·
It's fairly common for the connector for the hardtop to not be fully seated and cause the rear wiper to not work. Unplug it and plug it back in. Don't forget about the red locking tab on the plug.

#21 ·
want a good laugh?
Well I have been so busy I have not looked yet. He wanted to take his hard top off for just tonight as its gonna rain later so have to put it back on. he started taking the bolts out (not sure what is original but there are plane ole hex head bolts and nuts... I went to unplug the wiper motor/squirt hose and guess what...
THERE IS NOTHING THERE!!!!
no wires plugged in at all. I cant even figure out where they come from. I do have the single bundle of wires that go on the drivers side and I believe they are the tail lights?

so where can I start from as they have to come from somewhere!!!!!
still haven't got to the horn yet

#23 ·
Are there switches in your dash under the radio for defrost and wiper?
Do you have dual pumps on the windshield washer container under the hood?
If you don't have them then your jeep didn't come from the factory for a hardtop and you'll need to buy the rear wiper kit.

#24 ·
well i havent ventured anywhere as i have been swamped. I have finals tonight and tomorrow (44 and started college.. hah)

I know that near the OD shut off switch, there is no other switch. My son was going out with the wife and i walked up... told my son to turn on the rear wiper to test it. (this is before I knew wires werent there)... and he looked down, rotated with right hand on right hand of steering wheel. I didnt verify if that is the case but did they put the rear wiper on the column or is it definitely on the dash near the OD disable button? if that is the case then I have no clue what he was turning and most likely jeep didnt come with it and im not going to add it!

#25 ·
Sounds like he was turning on the front wipers. If you have no switch by the OD OFF switch, then you don't have hard top wiring. I wouldn't sweat it, do you really need the rear wiper, washer, and defroster?

Reactions: TheBoogieman
#26 ·
I haven't used my rear defrost or rear wiper in my hardtop and my wiring kit and dual washer bottle is still sitting in my storage unit. I've had my hardtop for 6-7 years.
There is a kit you can buy that comes with wiring, switches, hose, fluid reservoir and instructions if you decide to go that route.

#27 ·
well this sucks.. really sucks..
3w ago my youngest 11 had to have emergency surgery to remove a mass on his small intestine pulled down into his large. they cut both intestines, removed the part in middle with appendix attached and sewn him back up. waiting for bills to roll in..

then I'm in class tonight (44 and started college)... then my phone goes off crazy in my pocket.. class is almost done. so I wait... look at phone...

{He is ok} at hospital just getting checked out eve after the ambulance guy said he was ok.
Son rolled jeep - wife says... well it didn't "Roll"..

he was coming down and making a left and a guy took off out of the kfc parking lot like a bat out of hell.. well my kid got T-Boned an flipped onto drivers side. Wifes cell was dying so this is all she got. Didn't get any with jeep on wheels...

not sure the extent of damage - but here is what she got..

oldest just got T-Boned... by Jeffrey Riggs, on Flickr

Yeah that is gonna leave a mark by Jeffrey Riggs, on Flickr

#32 ·
Seeing how much the windshield caved/shifted while landing on its side makes me want to invest in a proper roll cage.
Good idea.

Attachments

#38 ·
I hope your youngest is well on the road to recovery with the worst behind him. In the end, take away the Jeeps, cars and many of the "toys" we take for granted, this is most important. And with it being this time of year, is probably what you are truly thankful for. Another would be that you are having these conversations with your older son and that the accident wasn't worse. At this time, I see that you have much to be thankful for.

It doesn't really relate, but tend to think of this when I hear of attitudes of the "younger" generation.
Corny, but a catchy tune....

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.