2005 Throwing O2 Sensor Codes - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > 2005 Throwing O2 Sensor Codes

Steinjager TJ tube doorsAttention to the TJ owners 1996-2006 NEW LED LIGHT OPTIONSOPTIC ARMOR WINDOWS all sale now !!!!!!!!

Unread 02-14-2011, 12:19 PM   #1
chucklesk
1994 ZJ 

2005 Throwing O2 Sensor Codes

I'm having a problem similar to this thread.

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f9/al...codes-1048269/

About once a month the Jeep starts up and then stalls out. I'm unable to start it for a day or so then it will start up normal with no issues. As of now it has the following codes stored.

P0032
P0038
P0052
P0058

It seems like the problem started when my battery died in November. I'm going to inspect the grounds again tonight, but I have read that it could also be a bad PCM/ECM. I'm afraid if I take it to the dealer it will start normal again only to have the problem return. Has anyone had this problem before or have any suggestions?

chucklesk is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-14-2011, 03:13 PM   #2
MK116V
2005 LJ Wrangler 

I have a similiar problem with my 05 LJ. It happens about every 6 months. What will happen is my Jeep will start but will cut out around 2000 rpm's. If I turn it off and back on it will run fine, for another 6 months. It will make the engine light come on but that will turn off by itself after a couple days. So who knows what going on maybe Gremlins.
MK116V is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-14-2011, 06:43 PM   #3
11thzone
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Holy crap, I JUST talked to the local crooks and had them code my Engine light for the very same reason, first, the EL came on and I had it coded like 8 months ago, said it was an O2 sensor. I figured hell I can do that so it was no biggie. Never got around to it, the light went out a few weeks later so I thought it was a fluke. About a month or two later I was having real probs with the engine, it would stutter and the idle would erratically rev and die. So I pulled over and let it rest, and it would work fine. I ended up having the sparkplugs replaced while the injectors were cleaned and a motor pump hooked up. After the cleaning and new electrodes, ( I had a Calc final so the plugs I figure what they hell Ill have em throw em in for me.) it still stutted for a while, then stopped, no light.

today lights back on.
Engine seems to ever so slightly falter.
Crooks throw a O2 sensor code at me again.
WTF?

This is what Im going to do:

Banks CAT back exhaust, (headers too if i sell enough crack (Joke!!)
if the prob persists THEN I will get the O2 sensors, so we will see what happens.
11thzone is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-14-2011, 07:32 PM   #4
chucklesk
1994 ZJ 

Yeah, I don't get it. It seems odd that all 4 sensors are throwing codes. I think I might replace one sensor and see if the code goes away.
Unread 02-14-2011, 08:13 PM   #5
chucklesk
1994 ZJ 

Its running again. I disconnected the battery to clean some corrosion. I hooked everything back up and tried to start it. No go. After putting everything away I tried it again just to see. It fired right up just like normal. Before turning it over I checked the codes. It was showing p0038 and p0058. After it started and idled for a while I shut it down and checked the codes again. Back to p0032, p0038, p0052 and p0058.
Unread 02-14-2011, 08:29 PM   #6
11thzone
2004 TJ Wrangler 

It would seem we have a real issue here. I think old CATs are confusing the sensors, like its clogged and as a result, we loose compression and we have bad flow. How old are all your CATs and is your power/flow sputtering, and finnally are you getting less MPG than before even if you have had regular injector service done in the last 6-8 months.

I bet its the exhaust, my sensors should be fine and multiple codes dont make sense, mine is 1 and 2, but not 4 or more.
11thzone is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-14-2011, 08:48 PM   #7
chucklesk
1994 ZJ 

As far as I know everything is as old as the Jeep (I bought it used though). In the days leading up to it stalling it sputters and cut power a couple of times. The last two times it has started up, sputtered, then died.
Unread 07-25-2011, 07:39 PM   #8
jpross
2006 LJ Wrangler 

did you guys ever figure out what was up? I am having the exact same issues with my 2006. I was having code p0421 for the last couple of weeks but no performance issues....then all the sudden today developed basically the same issues as 11thzone and then computer threw 0032 0038 0052 and 0058.
jpross is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
battery , ground wire , oxygen sensor , p0038

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.