2005 Rubicon Lockers???? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > 2005 Rubicon Lockers????

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineRIGID LED Light Blowout Sale - All Sizes, All Series, all Stainless Steel Door Hinge Pins

Unread 05-08-2009, 07:06 AM   #1
msbs80
2005 TJ Wrangler 

2005 Rubicon Lockers????

Just bought a 05 Rubicon, how do I check to see if the lockers work, without being in any mud. Can I check them on dry pavement as long as I dont drive it?? Thanks Guys

msbs80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-08-2009, 07:10 AM   #2
Noxian
2011 JK Wrangler 

Yes, just make sure you dont turn the wheels too much while on dry pavement, you can roll it forward and backwards and they should lock, sometimes you have to wiggle the steering wheel abit to get the front to lock and to unlock.
Noxian is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-08-2009, 08:36 AM   #3
red rubi
So long pal!

2006 LJ Wrangler 

A couple of things. make sure the locker lights on the dash turn on. When it is flashing the locker is not engaged for whatever reason. That is not unusual unless it does not stop flashing. When I had a pump go out I turned the key to run, without the engine running, and turned the lockers on one at a time. If you listen carefully you can hear the pumps working (there are two mounted on the skid plate) but only for a second. If you don't hear a pump or if the pump doesn't shut off then you have problems.
red rubi is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-08-2009, 08:43 AM   #4
Noxian
2011 JK Wrangler 

^x2

Also if the light keeps flashing and you check the pump is activating and the diff is infact locked, it may be the sensor in the diff (a little switch) I had mine replaced in the fall. Very expensive since they have to pull the diff apart to replace a 20$ switch(sensor).
Unread 05-08-2009, 08:50 AM   #5
red rubi
So long pal!

2006 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noxian View Post
^x2

Also if the light keeps flashing and you check the pump is activating and the diff is infact locked, it may be the sensor in the diff (a little switch) I had mine replaced in the fall. Very expensive since they have to pull the diff apart
to replace a 20$ switch(sensor).
That's the first I have heard of that

The Rubi lockers are very effective but they seem to be a little fragile.
red rubi is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-08-2009, 09:03 AM   #6
Noxian
2011 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by red rubi View Post
That's the first I have heard of that

The Rubi lockers are very effective but they seem to be a little fragile.
Yeah it was the first I had heard about it until it happened to me, even the dealership couldn't troubleshoot it properly I has to rip out my FSM and do some troubleshooting myself after they told me "4x4 working fine" even though I told the service adviser to put in "Front Axle lock light flashing, locker engaging, pump working, suspect sensor in diff"

its not common for the sensors to fail, unless someone over tightens the fill plug, which wasn't the case cause it was working fine while 4x4ing then just started flashing instead instead of showing locked.

The dealership even told me before opening the diff that it would only be a hour of work, even though the FSM said they had to pull the diff apart and I read online it could be closer to a couple hours, sure enough when I picked it up latter that day it was 7 hours of labour...
Unread 05-08-2009, 12:29 PM   #7
bojang
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Both of my indicators work when ever they want to. I just kind of assume they are working unless something says otherwise.

Freedom from nags, cranks, government, do-gooders, control-freaks and idiots is all that I ask for.

Never trust a lumpy fart.
bojang is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.