2005 Rubicon Axle Locks - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > 2005 Rubicon Axle Locks

Huge Soft top SaleNitro Gear Packages Now Available at Rockridge 4wdRough Country Jeep Suspension Deals at Rockridge 4WD!

Unread 07-21-2010, 12:55 PM   #1
FLKRUZN
2002 TJ Wrangler 

2005 Rubicon Axle Locks

I've searched the forum so don't flame me please (Yes, I'm a newbie)

Is there an advantage to modifying the stock axle lockers to provide independent control of the front and rear lockers? The mods I have seen end up allowing the lockers to be set at any speed in any t-case position. Is this a worthwhile mod and what are the dangers?

FLKRUZN is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-21-2010, 12:58 PM   #2
dcope17
2006 TJ Wrangler 

You have 3 positions already, Both open, rear locked and both locked.
You don't have the option to lock the front only.

At least that's the Rubi setup.

Life with Christ can be explained like a Jeep...
Being in the Word... grows your tire size.
Prayer... gains more ground clearance.
Fellowship... Is like having a good spotter.

The more of these you have... the easier it is to get over obstacles in your path.
.[URL="http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f194/dcope17s-thoughts-bible-please-read-only-do-not-post-1333441/#post13115090"]My Bible Thread[/URL]
dcope17 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-21-2010, 01:15 PM   #3
FLKRUZN
2002 TJ Wrangler 

Ah I see. I thought they were either open or locked. Good to know; however, the modification allows me to control them independently.

Open
Front Locked
Rear Locked
Both Locked

My question is whether this is advantageous and whether the resulting ability to engage these at any speed and any t-case position is dangerous.

Thanks!
Unread 07-21-2010, 01:19 PM   #4
Sundowner
Part-Time Swami

2003 TJ Wrangler 

Sure, there are advantages...you get more precise control over which axle is locked and which isn't by being able to lock the front only. Some drivers like this, especially if they're doing more technical crawling. What I don't like, personally, is the speed-sensitive lockout override...I don't want someone hitting that switch accidentally on the highway.

Incidentally, it's not a modification to the locker itself...you're actually modifying the workings of the switch/relay.

If it helps, I thought about doing it and decided not to do so...I don't do a lot of crawling where I'd need a locked front and open rear, and I actually prefer the safety of the speed lockout. For now.

The Republic of Dave: Bringing you the finest in simian testing supplies.

The build, the gear, and the mileage: The Wasteland Survival Guide
Sundowner is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-21-2010, 01:39 PM   #5
-dirt-
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by kupdegrove View Post
My question is whether this is advantageous and whether the resulting ability to engage these at any speed and any t-case position is dangerous.
I've done this mod. I don't feel it makes my Jeep more dangerous.

Say the locker switch is accidentally pressed while going down the highway.
#1 - It may not even engage.
#2 - Even if it does, it only locks the rear axle. You (or a passenger) would have to press it again to lock the front. Only then would steering be affected.
#3 - You can always just press up on the switch to disengage it.

There are "what-ifs" with everything in life. If you aren't comfortable with the mod don't do it. Same goes for bigger tire, lifts, etc.
-dirt- is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-21-2010, 01:39 PM   #6
Xlr8n
1986 TJ Wrangler 

The main advantage to the mod is you can lock the rear in 2Wd, or front or rear in 4WH. Both helpful in snowy climates.

The popular version of the mod won't allow for engagement over 10mph as factory set but installing a separate inline toggle switch will prevent accidental engagment at speeds under 10mph as well which is a cheap and worthwhile step while the dash is already taken apart.
Xlr8n is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-21-2010, 01:40 PM   #7
FLKRUZN
2002 TJ Wrangler 

Thanks for the feedback sundowner! I had the same concerns about my wife or kids accidentally hitting the switch (even though it would be covered) on the highway. I won't be doing much rock crawling...more mud than anything because I live in South Florida.

Is there any advantage to the mod for mud or is it primarily just for rock crawling?
Unread 07-21-2010, 01:42 PM   #8
-dirt-
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Locker + 4HI + mud = fun

The 241 4LO is generally considered too low for mud.
Unread 07-21-2010, 02:01 PM   #9
FLKRUZN
2002 TJ Wrangler 

Thanks all! I think I'm going to give it a go. I'm leaning toward the mod in the attached. If I understand how this works, according to dirt_j00:

Quote:
#2 - Even if it does, it only locks the rear axle. You (or a passenger) would have to press it again to lock the front. Only then would steering be affected.
So, by flipping the switch, 1 press on the factory switch will lock the rears in 2H or 4H position under 10 mph and a second press will lock the front. Is this right?

Also, according to the write-up, I can remove the 10mph restriction entirely by bridging pin 1 in the attached setup. Is this a better approach for mud?

I appreciate all the help
7-21-2010-3-48-43-pm.jpg  
Unread 07-21-2010, 02:07 PM   #10
BriansCJ
1994 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by dirt_j00 View Post
Locker + 4HI + mud = fun

The 241 4LO is generally considered too low for mud.
Ive used the 4.1 in mud plenty of times. Sure its too low for general trail riding, but for pulling people out its great. And sometimes the mud we have hear is very sticky and sucks you down, I have to use low to get it moving again when 4HI just wouldnt get the torque to the wheels.
Quote:
Thanks all! I think I'm going to give it a go. I'm leaning toward the mod in the attached. If I understand how this works, according to dirt_j00:

So, by flipping the switch, 1 press on the factory switch will lock the rears in 2H or 4H position under 10 mph and a second press will lock the front. Is this right?

Also, according to the write-up, I can remove the 10mph restriction entirely by bridging pin 1 in the attached setup. Is this a better approach for mud?

This is what I did. It was great. I reccomend this to anyone doing sand, snow or mud, or high speed hill climbs.
Unread 07-21-2010, 02:14 PM   #11
Xlr8n
1986 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:

The factory restriction simply keeps the locker from being engaged at speeds under 10mph but does not prohibit the lockers from staying engaged above that speed. Once they're locked, they stay locked until you release them via the switch.
From my perspective, there is no rational reason to want to attempt to engage the lockers above 10mph anyway as it would likely be a fine display of grinding and possible breakage, so I'm not sure why that method would be attractive??
Xlr8n is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-21-2010, 02:25 PM   #12
-dirt-
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
yes

Quote:
Also, according to the write-up, I can remove the 10mph restriction entirely by bridging pin 1 in the attached setup.
yes

more/different info here: Rubi Locker Switch Bypass - 1
Unread 07-21-2010, 02:28 PM   #13
-dirt-
2005 TJ Wrangler 

I assume you have this info: Rubicon Locker Bypass

But just in case you don't...there it is.
Unread 07-21-2010, 02:28 PM   #14
FLKRUZN
2002 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
From my perspective, there is no rational reason to want to attempt to engage the lockers above 10mph anyway as it would likely be a fine display of grinding and possible breakage, so I'm not sure why that method would be attractive??
Guess that answers my question, Thanks! Now all I need is my Jeep back from the shop...$%!# mechanic left the door open when he put it on the lift...CRUNCH!

Quote:
I assume you have this info: Rubicon Locker Bypass
Yep. That's the one I'm using. Thanks for the other version...the pictures are bigger ;-)
Unread 07-21-2010, 02:40 PM   #15
-dirt-
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Food for thought: Has anyone installed an ARB and then put various defeat mechanisms on it?

Tags
rubicon , locker , mod , modification , switch , override , tj , wrangler

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.